Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olives and Honey (Oh My) page

onalark is offline Senior Member

Wink Olives and Honey (Oh My)

Primal Fuel
    First, the word that honey-laundering was corrupting the US supply of honey:
    Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey

Now it sounds like olive oil is also suspect:
    Author: You may not like what’s lurking in your olive oil | Berkeleyside

I remember reading about less-than-genuine olive oil in Sally Fallon's book, but I just assumed it was Fallon being an alarmist.

I buy my honey almost exclusively at TJ's or local beekeepers, which means (according to the articles I've read) that I'm getting the real deal. I never trusted cheap honey anyway -- something so labor intensive should NOT be on sale for $1.99 a quart.

I don't know about the olive oil I buy for cooking, though. Sure, I buy the good stuff for salads from a local, reputable source. And I don't cook with olive oil much anymore anyway. But it looks like if I want to guarantee I'm getting the good stuff, I need to keep my Costco membership.

Any other gotchas lurking out there in the food world we should know about?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried the Costco oil. The containers are so big I worried it would go rancid before I used it all. Though it does come in a can, so the light exposure is less. I wonder how the foofy olive oil I buy at Whole Foods stacks up.

biancaaa is offline Member
    I get so angry when I hear about stuff like this. I read an article a long time ago about a company in china that would take used cardboard and cook it up and mixed it with noodles that they sold. These people actually sold their consumers cardboard to eat!! WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by biancaaa View Post
    I get so angry when I hear about stuff like this. I read an article a long time ago about a company in china that would take used cardboard and cook it up and mixed it with noodles that they sold. These people actually sold their consumers cardboard to eat!! WTF.
    China has produced some alarming infractions of quality over the years.
    Food safety incidents in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favorite is the soy sauce made from human hair.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    China has produced some alarming infractions of quality over the years.
    Food safety incidents in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favorite is the soy sauce made from human hair.
    Wow... I thought it couldn't get any more disgusting and then I read this part:

"Because the human hair was gathered from salon, barbershop and hospitals around the country, it was unhygienic and mixed with condom, used hospital cottons, used menstrual cycle pad, used syringe, etc."

condom & pad "soy sauce" makes human hair soy sauce seem almost gourmet by comparison, lol

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I always knew that commercial pasteurized honey-look-a-like stuff was no good - now I can feel a little better about spending more for local stuff. Thanks for the link - it was good (and scary).

BrassyDel is offline Member
    So how do I find out if my olive oil is any good? I buy it in bulk at Sam's and it says it is cold-pressed... But according to that article, what it says and what it is may not jive.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    That is scary. I'm going through a big tin of Bertolli right now. That's usually what I buy. Oy.

So the breakdown is this: don't buy large, mainstream olive oil brands and buy extra virgin olive olive oil from California, NOT imported from another country...which I would have thought the exact opposite! From now on, I'll just buy olive oil at Trader Joe's sourced from California, which is where the company is based. I'm assuming TJ's has decent olive oil as their honey passes muster.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Same here. I was shocked that the Wal-Mart brand scored better than the Star I have in the cupboard at the moment. I'm debating tossing it...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassyDel View Post
    So how do I find out if my olive oil is any good? I buy it in bulk at Sam's and it says it is cold-pressed... But according to that article, what it says and what it is may not jive.
    What I've heard is that you can put it in the fridge. If it hardens, it's olive oil. If it doesn't, it's adulterated.

But honestly, I'm not sure this "test" works with adulterants like hazelnut and sunflower oil. So...I don't know. Like honey, there's no one really testing this stuff. You have only the manufacturer's word, and that's clearly meaningless with many companies.

I like olive oil as a flavoring (salads, finishing soups and sauces), but I cook with it less and less. First off, it doesn't have a high smoke point, so it's really only good for sautees anyway. Second, the volatile flavors are lost if you heat it, so why cook with such an expensive ingredient? When I do buy olive oil, I pick up a pricey bottle from local manufacturers and treat it like a flavoring agent, not a cooking oil.

For cooking, I am trending more and more toward animal fats, ghee, and coconut oil. I know where they come from, and I get the steam-deodorized coconut oil, so it tastes pretty neutral. (The non-deodorized stuff is awesome, too, but I again treat it like a flavoring oil. Or mix it with almond butter. Yum.)

I really need to make more tallow soon. That stuff's awesome.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast