Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training for a hockey goalie page

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member

training for a hockey goalie

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I'm starting a beginner's program for ice hockey, and I"ll be playing goalie. I've been doing starting strength and not a whole lot of cardio.

Skating and dropping down to the ice and getting up again (repeatedly) wearing 35 lbs of pads is very taxing in terms of my cardio, stamina, and exertion (puking from overexertion is not uncommon for me!) I've been thinking that the best way to improve that off ice is to basically do high rep weighted exercise, such as squats with a weight vest, weighted tuck jumps and the like (e.g., dropping down to my knees and jumping up again with a weight vest). Burpees hurt my back so I'll pass on them.

Any other suggestions? Al K? Coach Palfrey? Thanks.

dado Guest
    if you can dodge a wrench, you can stop a puck, bro.

Uh, just the opposite. If you can stop the wrench, you can stop the puck. I'm the guy running into traffic and deliberately trying to get hit by the car. "If you can dodge traffic . . ."

That said, you will never see me play hockey on ESPN 8 "The Ocho"

dado Guest

@0:26

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    It's funny that this subject is brought up because I was telling my wife the other day that I wonder how many NHL goalies are primal/paleo. Most are so lean its not even funny. Even the guys from the Nashville Predators who are 6'5" and 6'6" are rail thin

BTW I am a huge hockey fan

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Meh, how many times do you drop down to your knees consecutively in a game before you get a nice long rest? High rep would be counterproductive, none of my athletes do more than 8 reps on any non-core related exercise. Obviously if I worked with endurance athletes that would change, but currently I don't. Get strong & powerful via strength training, get your conditioning on the ice or a slideboard.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Have you done enough repetitions of all your moves to reliably perform them with correct technique? If not, working on that certainly yields better and faster results.

I'd imagine that most moves are no big cardio challenge once you got the technique down and the necessary body control. The moves look so easy when elite goaltenders do them

@dave mayo: In a game, you are correct. In practice, it happens often. I have worked on getting powerful (I can squat about 1.5 bodyweight and deadlift even more). I'm talking cardio conditioning here more for practice than for the games.

@Patrick: It's not that simple, unfortunately. I can get on the ice 2x a week, 3 in a good week. I need some off ice conditioning simply so I can get to the point where I can do multiple reps of my hockey moves!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Do more explosive movements and use less weight. I needed to improve my sprinting and core stamina for LAX. I started doing 100 rep squats with concentrating on the explosive upward motion. Sometimes it took 8-10 sets (usually with 225 and shitloads of rest between sets) but it really helped with my speed and the ability to explode from a stand-still against guys going full-speed and lay 'em on their ass.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    @dave mayo: In a game, you are correct. In practice, it happens often. I have worked on getting powerful (I can squat about 1.5 bodyweight and deadlift even more). I'm talking cardio conditioning here more for practice than for the games.

@Patrick: It's not that simple, unfortunately. I can get on the ice 2x a week, 3 in a good week. I need some off ice conditioning simply so I can get to the point where I can do multiple reps of my hockey moves!
    That's not good, you should be training for the game, if practice isn't in concert with game time situations that is not a good sign. You should look at power and endurance on opposite ends of a continuum, training for one naturally detracts from the other. You are probably not going to change the way your coach runs practice so I would probably try to counter what he is doing by training for power off-ice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast