Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: training for a hockey goalie page 2

wesrman is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I suggest you start a solid stretching program.
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mayo View Post
    That's not good, you should be training for the game, if practice isn't in concert with game time situations that is not a good sign. You should look at power and endurance on opposite ends of a continuum, training for one naturally detracts from the other. You are probably not going to change the way your coach runs practice so I would probably try to counter what he is doing by training for power off-ice.
    @Dave: I'm 40 years old and this is a hobby. I'm just tired of gassing out during practice. I can squat 300 lbs for several reps, but that doesn't have a lot of carryover to standing in the net in my goalie stance for 10 minutes at a time while people shoot on me. I'm actually confident that my game will be fine. Incidentally, I'm not talking about doing one to the exclusion of the other, once I feel my cardio is up to snuff, I'll add back in my heavier squats. I'm doing a bunch of plyo work too, so that helps with the power.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    @wesrman: absolutely. But I'm talking cardio fitness here. I'm trying to work in some stretching post-workout every single day. If I can get 4-5 times a week, I'd be happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12