Thread: Fallen off the wagon during pregnancy - HELP ME! page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I just completed 8 weeks and I'm totally frustrated with my recent eating habits. I've fallen off the wagon and am eating grains (white and brown rice). Animal protein on it's own doesn't appeal to me now and I seem to be able to eat it only with rice. BAS used to be my favorite meal of the day and again, it doesn't appeal to me at all now. I'm not so worried about the weight gain as much as I am about the anti-nutrients that the baby is getting, and possibly the lack of nutrients as a result of eating grains. I also had desserts a couple of times. I've been avoiding processed foods though. Whatever I've been eating is completely home-made (other than the stuff I've eaten at friends' places - don't know what was in them) and occasionally eat at ethnic restaurants.

Is this merely a lack of will-power or is it hormonal/physiological changes? Mommies -to-be out there, have you faced something similar? I've been primal for the last 6 months and although I've had occasional slips here and there, I thought I was pretty good the whole time. Any tips on how to remain primal during pregnancy?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Don't sweat it maba... I don't know if you remember my rants during the beginning of mine, but I was having aversions to nearly everything - all meat seemed like a bad plan, so I ate eggs... then eggs made me gag (and I still can't eat them). Salad was not appealing, nor were cooked veggies, so I was pretty limited to carrot sticks, celery, raw broccoli, and cucumbers as far as veggies go...

White rice has the germ removed, so it has fewer anti-nutrients than brown. Of course, it's still basically void of any nutrition on its own, which is why I cooked it in chicken stock and loaded it up with butter (vitamins + a little protein from the stock, tons of fat from the butter).

I also felt a little better about things, knowing that at least I was taking my prenatal vitamin (which I don't like "relying on" but ... there it is).

This is NOT a lack of willpower. Take a second look at that if you start saying things like "All the baby wants is cheetos!!!" ... but if you are eating real foods and doing as well as you can, that's as good as it can get right now.

This is definitely hormonal / physiological. Don't worry about it. It WILL pass.

I'm 17 weeks today and just in the last week and a half or two have started feeling "more human" and being excited about salad, meat, and veggies again (though don't show me a pork chop or a pork tenderloin, and eggs are still iffy).

During the first trimester, the baby can get most of what it needs from your body (don't worry - baby is NOT shy about stealing from you) and nature has created food aversions so that we don't accidentally poison ourselves and harm the baby during that period. Once the baby can make its own hormones (its blood supply is separate from yours so it doesn't totally mingle) you will feel a lot better and be able to eat more nutrient dense foods.

If you want to do what I did, just try to make sure to get in "enough" calories each day - I had to try hard to get 1000 some days - and get in a lot of fat any way you can (butter everywhere, man... ghee would rock).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Maba, don't feel bad. As you can see, I didn't start my journal until my second trimester. The things in it would not have been good and it would have just discouraged me. I ate a lot of soup with a lot of saltines. I ate a lot of dry sandwiches (cheese and butter, blt, etc). I also had far more sweets than I care to admit. While I wasn't nauseous and didn't have any clear-cut aversions, my exhaustion really destroyed my willpower. That's what I thought was the hardest part- when just being awake and running around to court hearings all day took 120% from me, I had nothing left for the other stuff. Normally my career takes about 90-95%, so I don't operate with a lot of excess willpower/brainpower anyway. Luckily, the habits you've established leading up to this point will put you far ahead of a lot of other people- for example, no matter how many sandwiches I had at lunch, I still had eggs/bacon for breakfast, and decent home-cooked primal dinner at night. Weekends were bad, but still, way ahead of where I was with my first pregnancy.

At the time I felt like I was weak, lazy, pathetic, etc, but when I turned that second trimester corner, it all became so clear to me what happened. I'm sure some people can power through the first tri, and that's awesome, but if you can't, just be ready to buckle down when and if the fog lifts. We're all different, but weeks 9-14 were my worst- it was a month and a half back in October-November.

Pregnancy is a temporary state of being- no matter how hard it is to believe, you won't always feel like this! Your baby will be born, and eventually it will become a distant memory of "remember when I used to cry during the State Farm Insurance commercials and only eat saltines and cheddar for lunch?" Hang in there! Read all the other threads where the even the non-pregnant people struggle with willpower, and realize that you're doing just fine.

hannahm34 is offline Member

I can totally relate Maba!!! I am having the same struggles with will-power. I am coming up on week 12 and really having carb-craving still. (And I never used to!) I have had days where I ate a perfectly primal breakfast and lunch and then blow it all with chips and salsa before dinner and a desert after dinner. My husband lives on ice cream so we always have ice cream around.

I will keep you updated about if I 'm getting better, but It sounds like slesca and FNW are already doing much better in their 2nd trimesters!!

Good luck!! =)

maba is offline Senior Member

Thank you so much for your encouraging words sistahs! I felt like such a failure. I didn't care so much about all my previous slips but I wanted to do my best now and stay primal. I'm having a healthy appetite, it's just that the good foods don't appeal to me. I'm trying do the best I can by trying to eat traditional foods - fermented brown rice crepes, lentils etc. If I hadn't known about Primal/Paleo, I would have considered the foods that I want to eat now very healthful - they're all home-made and the way my grandma and mother cook them.

@FNW: I'm surely getting enough calories now, but mostly from rice I suppose My only consolation now is that the baby is probably getting all it needs from my body, as I've been primal the last 6 months and hopefully there are enough stores of nutrients in my body.

@Slesca: I so hear you on being exhausted. I think I would exercise more will-power too if only I didn't feel sleepy all the time. I'm in my 9th week now and this morning I had slight morning sickness. I just hope it doesn't get worse. To put things in perspective, I'm actually eating like my mom did when she was pregnant - traditional Indian foods, which is not such a bad thing. LOL@crying during state farm commercials.

@Hannah: I hope we have better 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I tell myself I'm going to be primal and then go weak in the knee when I see traditional Indian foods. Have you tried making ice-cream at home. Just blend some frozen berries and cream/ coconut milk in a blender and you have instant no-sweetener added berry ice-cream.

You're so right that being primal for the last 6 months isn't worth "nothing" at this point!!! Your body is definitely in better shape than if you had just now decided to "try primal" from a SAD.

The baby is going to do fine, and when you feel better you can focus more on WHAT you are eating.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

kam904s is offline Member

Maba, don't feel bad. After giving birth I fell off the primal wagon HARD and almost a month later I'm only just now starting to get back to healthier habits. Most of that is the simple fact that juggling your first newborn is tough and sandwiches are cheap and easy to make (esp after a c-section!)

Hang in there, you'll do fine. And you're not alone. :-)

Hey speaking of primal pregnant fails... This morning I "was sick" right before work. Tried milk to settle my tummy but it didn't work. So I ate goldfish crackers (theirs. I didn't buy them) to try to soak up the tummy acid. It helped a lot even though my mouth feels like I drank canola oil. Oh well.

soror is offline Senior Member

I agree w/ everyone else pregnancy is harder and every pregnancy is different. I didn't have much of an issue w/ aversions until pregnancy #3, it was awful, but thankfully was mostly gone by the end of the first trimester and my aversions weren't horribly extensive, mostly to vegetables. I definitely cravd more carbs as well, especially the first trimester and parts of the rest of my pregnancy. Do your best!

Mama to 4, wife to my love