Page 1 of 183 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page

tomi is online now Senior Member

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Primal Fuel
    Ladies.......... I'm getting frustrated looking through all these posts and finding 80% are from and about men. I want to start a thread just for us girls. We can post things here that are relevant to living primal from a female point of view.

So --- if you're interested, post some basic info about you and your experience with the PB.

Heres me: I'm 51 - married. One child, now 25, boy. Have struggled with weight issues for 10 years after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Gained 75 pounds over 6 years. I currently have 55 pounds to lose. But I'm not doing this just for the weight loss -- the change in my eating habits has greatly reduced my fibromyalgia symptoms and I'm feeling better than I have in 10 years! Energy, stamina, emotional outlook, and sleep are all better.

A typical daily diet is: 2 eggs and 2 or 3 strips of bacon for breakfast, lunch if I'm hungry is a green salad or whatever meat I have left over in the fridge, and dinner is always a meat or fish with lots of veggies. I limit my fruit and starchy vegies as much as possible. On occasion I will eat a Clif bar if I'm in a bind for time. I think I'm averaging about 50 carbs a day.

Since starting paleo/primal in late October I've lost 10 pounds. I would be more but I sometimes have a few rum and diet cokes on the weekends, and that always puts a stall on my weight loss. I've also gone from not being able to walk more than a few blocks due to the fibro pain and fatigue to walking an easy 20 minute mile several times a week. I'm looking forward to Spring and I will up that to 2 miles!

OK --- your turn.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    The problem with the "ladies post your experiences in THIS ONE THREAD" is that doing so, by default, precludes activity from flourishing in the forum. You'll find that threads by women are all over the various sub-fora. Your thread regarding "basic info about you and your experience with the PB" is already met by the Meet and Greet forum (basic info) and "experience with PB" is met by various posts in the Nutrition, Fitness, Recipes, Odds & Ends, and particularly the Journals sub-fora, which is where you'll find many day-to-day experiences by men and women (but from my experience, women tend to keep it going longer than men).

It also makes fishing through one thread for one particular issue that may be raised a bit cumbersome.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Just a thought.......... sorry you don't think its necessary or relevant.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    i think men lose weight way faster so it can be a little discouraging for the women when it goes a little slower! i know it does for me sometimes.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

crackedpot is offline Member
    There are threads out there for women over 50 as well - I enjoy reading all the posts, I have found a wealth of information in doing so!!
    Me, I'm 52 - I have had the best results with IF daily, increasing my protein and lifting weights. I didn't start with the IF daily till I was set in my primal lifestyle.

I've just been reading about the Leptin Reset............ I think I'm gonna try it. All this time I thought I was doing well with the eggs and bacon for breakfast, but looking at the protein content of both tells me I'm not doing well at all. Total protein is around 5 grams! If I figured it right. So, this morning I ate a left over grass-fed beef patty. Yum! Carbs are already down around 50 per day, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also do the IF, but don't plan it. I just try to not eat until I'm hungry again. I think maybe the idea behind the IF is to restrict food intake even if you are hungry. What do you think? I used to do that when I was a teen and I always stayed thin!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I'm almost 55. I have cerebral palsy, hypothyroidism and osteoarthritis that ranges from mild to bone on bone. I am still perimenopausal.

I have lost 50+ lbs and kept it off for almost 2 years. I began my journey on low carb and then transitioned to primal in 2010.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several years ago. For me, it was undertreated thyroid issues. Since getting adequate thyroid med along with adequate vitamin D and ferritin levels, my fibro issues have resolved.

You might find this thread useful:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19095.html

lazatiger is offline Member
    My name is Amber and I'm 24! I live with my boyfriend and we have two kittens :3

I've been flirting with the Primal Blueprint for a while now. I've been seriously primal the last two days (yesterday and today) because I started the Whole30 challenge. I'm working on kicking my sugar addiction and Starbucks habit. I figured I could use a good whole food cleanse to start off with. Also, I'm absolutely afraid of Christmas and New Years. I think this will keep me in check and carry me through both.

I thought about giving the Leptin Reset a try, but I don't know that I can eat that much protein in one sitting. According to Mercola and his "Nutritional Typing" test, I am a mixed type. I gave it a lot of thought and I feel that it's right for me. I think that a protein type would be able to breeze through the Leptin Reset, but not me. I brought two organic burger patties to work with me today with veggies. I'm trying to finish it all, but I think my stomach is about to burst :P

That saying, I can't imagine trying to eat so much in the morning. I usually eat two eggs and that's it because I get pretty nauseous in the mornings. I have my snack two hours later which is usually a whole avocado with berries and full-fat coconut milk.

I will do an IF to save money, but not for health reasons. Sometimes it's just cheaper to not eat dinner, and if I'm not feeling hungry or hungry enough, there's no point to it. I'm also guilty of fasting because I'm sometimes lazy and just don't want to cook.

I used to fast after I ate a lot of sugar. If I binged on ice cream or frappuccinos, I wouldn't eat until the morning of the next day. Usually it was because I was feeling gross and sick after, but also because I worried about piling more calories on top of the giant amount I had already consumed.

I think I have about 40 lbs to lose, but I'm not sure. I'm 160 lbs and 5'2" and I'm not entirely sure what my ideal weight would look like. I used to be 205 lbs back in the day. I lost 45 lbs by counting calories and using conventional wisdom. I haven't experienced any recent weight loss, but that's probably because I've only been doing this strictly for two days :)

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I'm 35, mother on one 3 yr old boy, who family is primal. no major health issues.

dropped from about 23% body fat to about 18% in a matter of weeks, probably loosing about 5-7 lbs in the process. then have maintained from there.

I think it is different for peri/menopausal women, and anyone going through the healing of metabolic derangement.

I'll point out the obvious, too -- fibromyalgia is usually a syndrome X diagnosis. cut out all chemicals (e.g., rum/diet coke), and you'll see huge improvements as well (rum, fine; diet coke, chemicals).

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Nothing different here from men...I lost the extra weight super fast, faster than my husband.
    I think most women are held up by hormones, the monthly cycles, then pre-menopausal etc...men don't have to deal with any of this because for them it's a gradual decline later in life, they don't get hit hard with it like us girls.

With that said, women tend to eat more fruit and starches because of monthly cravings...men tend to be more dedicated and strict.

Page 1 of 183 1231151101 ... LastLast