Page 90 of 183 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 90

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In the initial stages I don't think your body is using anything for fuel. That's why you feel so crappy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Hi Cactusflower

Yeah those first few weeks are a bit tricky. I know I felt hungry all the time, had headaches, insomnia all sorts of vague symptoms. Make sure you eat good large meals, snack if you need to and make sure you get plenty of good fat. Try reducing the fruit and replacing this with say a boiled egg, or a handful of nuts. But do this slowly, don't get all overzealous and push yourself too hard to start with. Some of the men on this forum will give you a hard time about being 100% with the 'programme', but don't let that worry you to start with (they're right pillocks!). Your body will adjust to your new way of eating it just takes a while to iron out the kinks.

Good luck.

sharoninboulder is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Any of you experience more erratic periods by eating this way? Used to be 28 days exactly and today is day 34 with nothing. DH hd a vasectomy over a year ago, so I can't be pregnant.
    Mine have gotten much more erratic as I got older. They were like clockwork for years, then in my 40's got shorter, and now they are all over the place. 19 days, 21 days, 28 days, 35 days. I just love that. Not! I'm 51, btw. My GYN said it's not unusual for that to happen in perimenopause.

sharoninboulder is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm constantly posting this, but it's especially applicable here in a women's thread:

Is the use of cholesterol in mortality ris... [J Eval Clin Pract. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

It basically says that higher total cholesteral in women is inversely proportional to mortality. In other words, the lower your total cholesterol, the more likely you are to keel over. Higher total cholesterol and you might live a little longer.
    Thanks for posting this. This is great! More evidence to fight my doc when she spins up the whole cholesterol/statin thing. She still spouts the saturated fat canard every year. Sigh.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharoninboulder View Post
    Thanks for posting this. This is great! More evidence to fight my doc when she spins up the whole cholesterol/statin thing. She still spouts the saturated fat canard every year. Sigh.
    I stopped fighting my doctor about my cholesterol, I just told her I'm not taking statins! Period. I took them for 20 years - and I quit. Yes, my cholesterol is high, even on primal. Triglycerides are low, but everything else is high - I still won't go back on them.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Hey all,

I know a lot of you have been complaining about the success stories that have been posted. In a crazy moment, I decided to write something down and sent it in, with some pictures. Mark just emailed that he is going to be posting it tomorrow. I am feeling a little sick- because it's not a typical "Success" story by any stretch, but maybe that's why he chose it. I am worried about the potential reaction to it, because- well, I put it all out there. But I feel like it could potentially help other people, as we aren't all 25 year old guys with computer jobs and 30 lbs to lose that crept on a couple of years ago. So: to quote good old Bartyles and James, "Thank you for your support!" And I hope you enjoy reading it.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I stopped fighting my doctor about my cholesterol, I just told her I'm not taking statins! Period. I took them for 20 years - and I quit. Yes, my cholesterol is high, even on primal. Triglycerides are low, but everything else is high - I still won't go back on them.
    With a strictly primal diet, carbs under 30 gr a day I get a 480 total cholesterol, low TG count abnormally high LDL (380). Statins are needed sometimes, when something doesn't work somewhere in the metabolism of cholesterol -in my case apparently the liver receptor which clears out oxidized LDL in only marginally present so it keeps on running around my bloodstream a lot longer than it should. That's not good for my arteries, neither for my new kidney: being a foreign organ blood supply depends on a tiny attachment and if that got clogged I would be swimming a pool full of pooh. Bad pooh.
    I feel like shit since I started them up again (I tried to live with no statin meds for a couple of month and those were great: flab lost, more energy, no muscle pain and no post weight lifting muscular distress at all) but I won't be discussing further this with my doctor right now. I just wish I could try again crestor 10 and see if it works a bit better than lescol 80.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    The straight dope on cholesterol

I just hope there will be something better available, or a way to really know what's wrong because I already underwent dialysis for years and I really don't want to end up on LDL apheresis.

And I'm primal, if I was not with medicines like prograf and medrol I guess my numbers would be even more screwed up.

If I give it another thought I will probably end up crying.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Lady Grok I just read your success story. I relate to it so much. At times I thought I was reading my own story. I had almost all those same things happen to me. Especially sneaking food as a kid, not being able to breathe through my nose and a huge period of time in my 20s/30s where I was barely awake and barely able to stay awake and all the while every test the doctors gave came out as normal and healthy, nothing is wrong with me. Maybe there was something in the air/water/food back in the 70s and 80s. Thank you so much for sending that in to Mark.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Can someone send me the link to Lady Grok's story. For some reason I can't find it.