Page 77 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 77

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lil old paleo me View Post
    You can do it Tomi!!!! I think our problem is that we worry too much about calories and counting. You have to up your fat intake in order for this thing to work. I probably eat somewhere between 2000 to 3000 calories a day on average. Just really LOW CARBS. Half the plate is meat and half the plate is veggies and salad. Snack on meat sticks. Don't worry about counting, just eat when you are hungry. Don't mean to preach but that is what works for me. Try it -- you'll like it If you are having carb cravings -- up the fat intake.
    That's true, I've been eating more calories since going primal, but losing weight. I'm generally around 2500 calories, varies from 2200 to 3000. And I may or may not have consumed like 4500 one day last week...lol.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    @Molli - when I first started I had the same problem. Eating high protein/fat and low carb left me hungry all the time. Its because our bodies are used to having the carbs to use as energy first - after a couple weeks your body will learn that it must go for the protein/fat for energy. Hang in there it will change. Now I can eat a peice of fish for breakfast and not be hungry again for 6 hours.

Go into Marks daily posts and search for topics - he's covered everything imaginable! Good luck!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    That's true, I've been eating more calories since going primal, but losing weight. I'm generally around 2500 calories, varies from 2200 to 3000. And I may or may not have consumed like 4500 one day last week...lol.
    thats crazy!!! I would love to be able to eat that much! But - I can't. If I go over 1800 calories I start gaining, no matter how strictly primal I stay. You guys must have amazing metabolisms! *turning green with envy* ...............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

lil old paleo me is offline Junior Member
    No amazing metabolism here. I'm 51, post menopausal so.... I have never lost weight or kept it off for years being a slave to calorie counting. Eating totally primal is the only thing that has worked for me so far. I don't count calories at all. Snacks are protein, not carbs. Eat, eat, eat.

nurta is offline Junior Member
    Wow! glad I found this thread. I usually just peruse the forums here and don't really participate b/c I haven't found a nitche yet but maybe this thread will help

37yrs old, 5'9"ish with 70lbs to lose. I'm around day 55 with my paleo/primal lifestyle change. I'm also diagnosed PCOS (w/infertility challenges) since my 20s, pre-diabetic, insulin resistant, extremely low HDL but otherwise good cholesterol, etc, etc.

So far I've lost almost 30lbs in those 55 days and several pant sizes. I no longer crave junk and I don't need to take naps in the evenings after work. But, I still slip up from time to time and once I do one little cheat it's like a snowball rolling down hill I get back on track quickly though and so far this is the longest amount of time I've ever given any diet or change in my 37yrs. It makes the most sense to me and works but I struggle with wanting to drink socially with my friends, and some days I get lazy and don't prepare and plan well enough.

On the plus side this month (today in fact) I had my first period on my own without meds in years...but it's rough. These cramps are killer so much so I ask myself why I was wanting to have a period so bad and then I remember it's b/c my partner and I are trying to have a baby someday. I struggle with knowing that my body is the way it is b/c I let myself get this way, I ate the wrong things and sabotaged myself Now rather than reach for chocolate when I have those feelings I reach for coconut but I still struggle.

I've noticed that not being as hungry I accidentally IF... some days I eat 1 meal, some days I eat 2 meals. But rarely do I eat at set times. I stopped eating b/c it was time to eat and instead eat when I'm hungry. This was hard at first b/c I cook for 4 people at home and they used to look at me funny when I'd cook and not eat but now they accept it as me. On the plus side my partner and elderly mother have also lost weight b/c of my change. So benefits are affecting my whole house just some days I wish this would happen faster and I'd lose the fat!

Along the way I started keeping a blog and posting on facebook (to keep me accountable) little did I know that it has inspired others to start eating this way too. To date I have around 6 people following paleo/primal and all have marked weight-loss most 25+lbs. It's getting easier but the hormones are killer, yesterday I wanted to eat everything in sight so I made some primal bars with freeze dried raspberries and that sated my period cravings...it wasn't chocolate but it helped. I also struggle with constipation regardless of how much water I drink or how many veggies I eat so I started supplementing with magnesium citrate and it's helping.

Anyway so much rambling here I'm going to stop now. It's good to find a place with women who understand these things and get it out there. Thanks for starting the thread.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm feeling better on Ray Peat style primal, have added dairy back. Got up 5-5:30, earliest I've been up in a whille. Think the coconut oil & diet changes are helping my thyroid.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    FH, I also feel that it works much better for me when I have dairy in my diet. Too much food groups out and too much limitations seem to be counter-productive to me. Kind of glad to see that I am doing at least something the same way you do. I couldn't follow any other ideas you integrate, unfortunately.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    No offense to you, FH, but those Ray Peat things you've been posting make my head spin. I find those kinds of diet gurus who say BS like "liver is bad unless you eat it after 3pm with orange juice, chicken is bad with the skin but you should add gelatin and traditional people ate it with skin so skin is good for them but bad for you" rub me the wrong way. It's really not that complicated.

Here's what I do to support my thyroid. It's either total snake oil or totally destructive, I really don't know. So far so good, though. I feel great.

1. Iodoral, 12.5mg (1 tablet). I was taking 2 tablets but got a rash. It may have been one of those bromide detox rashes. The iodine really does something, it's not snake oil that is for sure.

2. Over-the-counter dessicated porcine thyroid, 130mg (3 capsules). This one might be totally placebo, but if placebos can do what drugs can do, then I'm all for them. I thought I would give these a try because Canadian natives would seek out moose thyroid at some time of the year and eat it. So a teaspoon of dried pig thyroid certainly can't hurt.

3. Vitamin D. I think this is good for everything.

4. Once in a while some brazil nuts. The soil in my area is high in selenium so I probably get plenty from being locavore.

I've not been diagnosed with a thyroid problem. I've always measured low normal on whatever that worthless test they normally do is. I figured that a little extra support in addition to the healing effects of the paleo diet are probably all that I need for myself.

Other than that, I eat liberally of all the stuff ray peat says not to and feel great. Especially somewhat fatty cuts of beef, beef liver, lots of pastured eggs, chicken with the skin on, cold water fatty fish, broccoli.

I feel great and I'm getting more muscular the longer I go on my high protein primal diet. Every now and then I drop a couple of pounds and really like what I see in the mirror. Then the pounds come back , but what I see in the mirror is still not too bad. I'm working on push-ups and the wap-wap is going away which makes me feel more confident (my arms have always been a total embarrassment) which makes me stand up taller which makes me look a lot better. I want to work on pull-ups someday, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Funny how differently all our bodies respond to things. One says dairy is helping - others say dairy is a killer! We each need to find our own path as long as it keeps us healthy and lean and strong.

I bought ground turkey to make burgers for breakfast - thinking it would be a "lean" alternative to bacon. You know, high protein, but not so much fat. Well, maybe if I had bought turkey breast --- but I didn't. A 6 oz cooked patty of my ground turkey is 400 calories with 22 grams of fat and 46 grams of protein. Close to 50% fat - same as bacon. But, no nitrates or nitrites - so I guess it should be better for me in the long run. It tasted really good - fried in olive oil. Tomorrow I'll try frying it in ghee.

@sbhikes --- I laughed when I read your comment about "wap-wap" -- which I assume is the flabby upper arm thing! I call them "bingo wings" in honor of all our older ladies at the bingo parlors! Got that from a doctor I used to work with in Boise! I need to start doing those essential movements of Marks! That should be a goal for me ---- *adding to list of things to do*.

I see the doc tomorrow - finally will get the results of my saliva test and see what she thinks about using calcium to control my diarrhea issues. I'm wondering if she will want to do more blood tests to see where the cholesterol levels are now. Better go in fasting just in case.

Have a great day ladies!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Quote Originally Posted by lil old paleo me View Post
    No amazing metabolism here. I'm 51, post menopausal so.... I have never lost weight or kept it off for years being a slave to calorie counting. Eating totally primal is the only thing that has worked for me so far. I don't count calories at all. Snacks are protein, not carbs. Eat, eat, eat.
    Would you mind posting an average days menu? I'm just very curious how you manage to eat that many calories and not gain weight --- what are you doing for work outs? Have you calculated your calories burned in your workouts? Maybe you are just moving your body enough to manage those high numbers. I walk but not enough to really matter as far as calories go. Biking burns more calories, but I feel I get a better leg and butt workout by walking.

Thanks............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation