Page 71 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 71

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Those of you with parents/grandparents declining with chronic disease, any wisdom on what to do or not do to involve or spare my kids, who are 18 and 21?
    After a while, it will just plain become impossible. There's no toughing it out, he will eventually need specialty care like in a hospital or hospice. A lot of Parkinson's patients become paranoid and delusional, so they won't trust you to care for them anyway.

My best advice is to get all of the decision making (like financial papers, medical papers, etc) wrapped up now while he's still clear-headed. Then you won't have to worry about convincing people he's competent or getting him on a good day. Other than that, joining a Parkinson's support group was a big help to my mom. My dad passed in 2003, and she is still friends with some of the people in that group, all of whom are/were in different stages of the disease. For some reason, I think it helps her now to help others going through it. My only other idea was coconut oil, but you've got that one covered, which is great. I wish I had heard about that 20 years ago.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Thanks for the hugs! I think part of the appeal of primal for me is that it gives me something I can control.

Those of you with parents/grandparents declining with chronic disease, any wisdom on what to do or not do to involve or spare my kids, who are 18 and 21? The 21 year old couldn't discipline himself to succeed in college so he is home helping with his father. I've told him I do expect that at some point the situation at home will become unpleasant enough that it will motivate him to go out and find something else to do. The 18 year old had an excellent freshman year in college and has an internship away from home for most of the summer, but she and I are close.
    I feel ya. That's why I'm doing it. Though for me it is more other diseases. Though my grandpa had Parkinson's it was cancer that took him home. My dad's father also has cancer and diabetes and heart disease. His cancer has metastasized and we don't expect him to make it through the year (honestly, I saw him at Christmas, and I'm a little surprised he's still here). My dad's mom has had a couple run ins with cancer, but all caught early and cured with just surgery to remove the small tumor.

On my mom's side is my grandpa who died of cancer, as did her mother (ovarian). Then my own dad has leukemia (which we are pretty sure is from exposure to farm chemicals when he worked as a farm hand over the summers in high school, plus living near El Paso his whole life, meaning near the a-bomb testing sites, copper smelters, etc.) and diabetes. My mom has high blood pressure and hypothyroidism and recurring depression.

Yet two of my great grandmothers (one on each side) lived well into their 90s and in pretty good health until the last year or so of their lives too.

So I know I've got good genes, if I take care of myself. I am hoping that my changing diet and improved health will encourage my parents. I think my mom could fix or help a lot of her problems if she went gluten free, and I know my dad could do much better if he cut out all added sugar.

We shall see.

As for the other, it's a lot for a kid to handle, but at the same time experiencing that might help him to finish his growing up (since our brains aren't "grown" until at least 25), might help boost his empathy and discipline. And I think it's also an important way to build that relationship, you can never get that time back - especially when your loved one has a progressive illness.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    As for the other, it's a lot for a kid to handle, but at the same time experiencing that might help him to finish his growing up (since our brains aren't "grown" until at least 25), might help boost his empathy and discipline. And I think it's also an important way to build that relationship, you can never get that time back - especially when your loved one has a progressive illness.
    Exactly. I took my (then) young kids to see my dad when it wasn't pretty. They had been there when he was better and fun, but it didn't seem to upset them (I think they knew they were doing him some good) to see him that way. And I thought it was important for them to see that we didn't just bail on people when it got rough and they needed us.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Pedidoc, as a fellow dog lover, my condolences.

sbhikes, I want to go hiking with you some time. You rock.

After taking a bit of an MDA break and then going on a cruise for six weeks, I'm back home and finally got caught up on this thread. Good to know that it is still here and thriving.

I put on some weight with the cruise which I think was mostly due to the booze since I stayed pretty much on plan otherwise. The only other thing I couldn't control was the quality of the oils things were cooked in. I've got about 12 extra pounds that I want to get rid of again. I did it before (total of 65 pounds lost) so I know I can do it again.

The thing that is different this time is that my time is not my own as much as it used to be. I'm taking care of my 86 year old Dad who has had some health problems lately. So, I can't just take off for an all day hike the way I used to. I am cooking breakfast and dinners for him daily.

The cool thing is that Dad has agreed to go Primal and has been seeing great results after just a couple of weeks. He doesn't need to lose weight but he was being plagued by shooting pains and swelling in his feet from diabetes. These are both completely gone.

Is anybody else here dealing with elder care in their lives?

My Dad moved in with me last year when my Mom died. He's 93. He had me late and I had my son late so I have a 93 yr old and a 9 year old to take care of. I'm so lucky that Dad has no dementia or Alzheimer's, although I see the beginning of his mental clarity slipping away. He eats grains or potatoes at every meal and isn't so fond of veggies or fruit though he'll eat some, so some days we are all eating different meals (I'm currently the only one primal but I hope to change that someday.

It can be a big strain if I take my son somewhere fun and am not there to feed Dad... For 50+ years he's not had to fend for himself so I leave lots of stuff out with post I notes. I know how lucky I am that he's doing as well as he is, but I'm seeing him starting to slip, and I worry.

Thank goodness I discovered this site as it's helping me with him as well as myself. I'm supplementing D, Magnesium, selenium, and omega 3 amongst other things as well as giving him a cup of 72-hr bone broth a day.

My heart goes out to everyone here posting their experiences and ordeals.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty new to Primal & MDA. I've so enjoyed the website, especially this thread. It took me awhile to get through it. The last page or two has me realizing how as women we all go through so many of the same things: diet, exercise, children woes and elderly worries. Glad the thread was started and thanks.

I look forward to us all becoming a more fabulous version of ourselves.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Wow - been gone all weekend and there has been a LOT happening here!

@Pedidoc - I'm SO sorry to hear about your dog. It does really hurt to say goodbye to our little 4 legged friends. We've had to put down 2 in the past 6 months. Zeus (4 year old Basset) has hip dysplasia, so we're not sure how long he's going to hold out. I do hope it doesn't hurt for too long.

Looks like a lot of discussion about aging/failing parents. I can relate. MIL is starting to do all kinds of weird things. She's 88. Her oldest son has moved back in with her to keep an eye on her and do the housework and cooking. But she is starting to say things that didn't happen. Over the weekend she saw a few of us talking and told her oldest son that we were all talking about another family member - which we weren't. She is nearly blind and about 70% deaf, so I know she wasn't able to hear anything we were saying - but in her mind we were talking badly about someone. She's been doing this a lot over the past 6 months. Its really hard to see happen.

Sometimes I think I will be glad when this stage of life is over - but then there is always another stage (be it good or bad) waiting on the other side. Life is just hard sometimes.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

tomi is online now Senior Member
    boy - that discussion on caring for aging parents was depressing! Lets talk about something a bit more uplifting............. HUM - right now all I can think about is watermelon. Watermelon is loaded with sugar - but when I eat it it makes me happy. Probably because when I was a little girl, my grandparents would always have watermelon for us - and grammie would slice it up and send up out to the front porch to eat it. My sister and I would see who could spit the seeds the farthest! We'd end up all sticky and gooey from the juices dripping down our arms, then grammie would turn on the sprinkler and we'd run through the water and get all clean. My grammie and granddad were the saving grace in my childhood - they were everything good and happy and fun. I miss them very much!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Just bought some fiddleheads, frying them up in bacon fat as I type this. Almost had a heart attack at the checkout ($10.99!!!!!!!), but hey, it's a new veggie to try and it's only in season for a short while and super-hard to find, so I decided it was worth buying it. Once I try them plain, I plan to try an Emeril recipe for a fiddlehead/wild mushroom ragout, it's actually primal. I'll post it here if it turns out good.

That's funny - I was just thinking how the issue with aging parents/spouses was a bit off topic, but then I realized that, at our ages, it's a big chunk of our lives and nothing to be avoided. But I digress...

The one thing I've found about being middle-aged is that I have to keep a youthful mindset and not consider myself "too old" for anything. It's not always easy (parent health issues, my own concussions, work woes) but it seems to keep me younger, both physically and mentally. I'm still keeping up with the 20-something men at work.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Just bought some fiddleheads, frying them up in bacon fat as I type this. Almost had a heart attack at the checkout ($10.99!!!!!!!), but hey, it's a new veggie to try and it's only in season for a short while and super-hard to find, so I decided it was worth buying it. Once I try them plain, I plan to try an Emeril recipe for a fiddlehead/wild mushroom ragout, it's actually primal. I'll post it here if it turns out good.
    Fiddleheads!
    If you don't LOVE them... well... that's just crazy talk!
    We just don't get them down here... I grew up picking them from the borders and beds around our farm as a kid. And Morels.
    April was a good month in TN.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.