Page 70 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 70

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm caring for my 66 year old husband who has Parkinson's and is in the early stage of Lewy Body Dementia. I cook primal dinners for him and I have him drinking smoothies with coconut and MCT oil, but he eats what he wants for lunch and when we go out. He did go low carb with me years ago so he is in the habit of not eating a lot of carbs, but his view is he doesn't have much life left and he will enjoy it as much as he can so he treats himself to whatever he likes. He has a lot of digestive problems and I have suggested to him that giving up grains and milk might help, but he isn't willing to try that.

bloodsugar101.com has evidence that side effects of diabetes can be controlled if blood glucose never goes above 140--it sounds like you have seen more evidence of that

Jodis is offline Member
    The woman behind bloodsugar101.com appears to have no inkling about paleo or primal. Tempting to point her in that direction ...

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm thinking of using coconut oil again, just a tablespoon a day. Up a whole lb from 90 to 91.5.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Could you elaborate? I had a high-hunger weekend, so need to cut back for a few days to compensate for high calories... How a tbs of coconut oil helps you? I tried the fat fast you have described, and couldn't do it on macadamia nuts and butter.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    I'm caring for my 66 year old husband who has Parkinson's and is in the early stage of Lewy Body Dementia.
    That what my dad had for 17 years, so I totally understand. Sending you a HUGE squeezy hug.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    My grandpa had Parkinson's as well. It's definitely though. *big hug*
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodis View Post
    The woman behind bloodsugar101.com appears to have no inkling about paleo or primal. Tempting to point her in that direction ...
    She's negative about several trends that are pretty well established, such as vitamin D. But she has tremendous evidence on the benefits of low carb for diabetics. For example, a study came out a few years ago which showed that diabetics who kept their BG under very tight control had worse outcomes than those who had higher BG. She pointed out that the study didn't look at people who kept their BG low by diet (or even insulin), it looked at people who kept their BG low by taking some of the more dangerous diabetes drugs.

I imagine a spectrum from mainstream medicine to the most alternative ideas. bloodsugar101.com and the Vitamin D council are one step away from mainstream medicine--trying to correct errors in mainstream practices. Primal is another step away--still interested in scientific evidence but questioning the basis of mainstream more deeply.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    My grandmother has Parkinson's too. It is hard to watch the progression.

Both my grandmothers are still alive. The 89 year old was not a big meat eater, always had room for junk food, always had peppermint patties in her purse. Said she didn't like the sweet taste, so after she would eat chips because she wanted the salty taste. She has Parkinson's, BP issues, has been wheelchair bound for a few years, has some heart problems, cholesterol issues, and the start of dementia, and is on a lot of meds.

The 97 year old drank 1 cup of black coffee with breakfast and ate meat, veggies, and a potato for most lunch and dinners. She didn't care for sweets. She was still driving well into her 80's and was a seamstress. Amazing to me that she could see and had the manual dexterity to thread a needle! She had breast cancer in 1999. She started complaining about knee pain, in her mid 80's. She had a mild heart attack in her early 90's and is in assisted living. She questions why all this stuff is happening to her and doesn't understand how fortunate she is.

I know genetics plays a role, but it's so obvious to see how different their lives have been dietarily and how different their later years have been. Still doesn't help me overcome my issues, but does make me think.

Sbhikes, that is an awesome accomplishment! Way to go! I've read a lot of your posts and am amazed by people that can do hikes like that. Friends back home do long day hikes, 36 miles in one day stuff. I could never do it. The fibro pain and inflammation didn't even let me think about it. You must have been enjoying it so much for 28 miles to fell like 18!

Thanks for the hugs! I think part of the appeal of primal for me is that it gives me something I can control.

Those of you with parents/grandparents declining with chronic disease, any wisdom on what to do or not do to involve or spare my kids, who are 18 and 21? The 21 year old couldn't discipline himself to succeed in college so he is home helping with his father. I've told him I do expect that at some point the situation at home will become unpleasant enough that it will motivate him to go out and find something else to do. The 18 year old had an excellent freshman year in college and has an internship away from home for most of the summer, but she and I are close.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Thanks for the hugs! I think part of the appeal of primal for me is that it gives me something I can control.

Those of you with parents/grandparents declining with chronic disease, any wisdom on what to do or not do to involve or spare my kids, who are 18 and 21? The 21 year old couldn't discipline himself to succeed in college so he is home helping with his father. I've told him I do expect that at some point the situation at home will become unpleasant enough that it will motivate him to go out and find something else to do. The 18 year old had an excellent freshman year in college and has an internship away from home for most of the summer, but she and I are close.
    My MIL has Parkinson's with dementia. When we moved away due to my husbands new job, our sons took over helping. We never shielded them from good or bad days. They sit with her to give my FIL a break. I do have someone come in weekly to clean the house and cook for them. He pays the oldest daughter to come and bathe her mother a couple of times a week. Out of their 7 children, our family is the only one helping without expecting anything. The boys all tell funny stories involving my MIL and her delusions. It's just became part of the family history. One of my favorite memories is each of them taking her out on the dance floor during my oldests wedding reception, so she could "dance." I don't think you need to shield kids, just explain and be matter of fact about it. They will surprise you by rising to the challenge.