Page 7 of 183 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 7

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ah, I see. I thought the whole refeed thing was bingeing on pounds of sweet potatos, not just a couple of pieces of sushi and a sip of hot chocolate.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, it's basically anything out of your norm that would be "carb heavy." And, it doesn't have to be a massive binge.

in my case, refeeds are mostly rice (1/2 cup cooked or less in sushi, etc) or sweet potato (1/2 med-large sized). It's not much, you know? but it bumps up the calories and the carbs, and seems to reset my system nicely. I'll do this for three or four weeks (once a week), and then have 6 or 8 weeks without anything -- maybe more.

it's a nice little cycle.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Ah, I see. I thought the whole refeed thing was bingeing on pounds of sweet potatos, not just a couple of pieces of sushi and a sip of hot chocolate.
    The massive sweet potato pig out is another one of the things that works for the "dude bros" as Northern Monkey Girl called them. I find that just a random potato or parsnip or winter squash here and there works well (or sushi). It doesn't have to be a set schedule.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I wonder whether just changing your food for a period, e.g. a week, can shake things up a bit. I've found several times when I've been on holiday I have lost weight, or lose it shortly after I return. Might be higher carbs, or might just be different food. Seth Roberts, who wrote the Shangri La diet, talks about this. Worth a read, although I didn't really want to drink olive oil or nose clip, so I didn't go further into it. Seems to work for some though.

From Wikipedia...

Roberts' diet is based on the fundamental principle of a set point – the weight which, according to Roberts, a person's brain strives to maintain. When actual weight is below the set point, appetite increases; when actual weight is above the set point, appetite decreases. Furthermore, eating certain foods can raise or lower the set point. Foods that have a strong flavor-calorie relationship (such as fast food or donuts) raise the set point, whereas bland foods which are slowly digested (like extra light olive oil or fructose mixed with water) lower the set point. Roberts states that the diet is based upon connecting two unconnected fields: weight control and associative learning. Because of this, the research behind the diet is from multiple fields, ranging from Pavlovian psychology to physiology to rat psychology.[2][6][7][8]
    [edit]

On the issue of carbs, I found that after a year of low carb I had difficulty getting to sleep, reduced temperature (I felt cold more often) and I started to gain weight. Upping my carbs fixed this. I'm still low carb, but introduce regular carb ups, usually linking them to meals out or parties etc.

mcbeitz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiedid View Post
    i'm 30 and 5'8'', no health issues, no meds. I started primal in June and weighed 195. Now, it's December and I'm still weighing in at 190! I started Crossfit two months ago, and have definitley lost inches, and have gone down one size. People have commented to me how I look like I've lost weight, but since it's only 5 lbs, it's somewhat depressing.

I know I can't be concerned about the scale... but 190? I totally understand hovering around the 150-160 range. But you'd think that since I have so much to lose, that I would have lost a little more by now.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience? I track my food for historical purposes, not to limit any certain intake... so I know I'm averaging about 1600-1700 calories and about 75 carbs on a daily basis. I eat over 100g protein daily. My ratios seem spot on. I DO have the occasional 1000 calorie day where I IF through dinner and the occasional 2000+ day where I have sweet potatoes, etc...

I'm wondering if I need to look at calorie restriction as a way to get some of the weight off? I'm pretty strong and muscular (underneath all this fat!), so my ideal weight is about 155. I KNOW I will get there... my question is, how long will it take? UGH!
    Hi Katiedid-

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'10, 185. I've been at this weight since July, after an initial loss of 6 pounds. I feel like I'm getting stronger, but there has been no weight loss since then. Unfortunately, this means that I can't really offer any advice on how to change things. I'm just chiming in so that you know you're not the only one. However if you find anything, let me know!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The massive sweet potato pig out is another one of the things that works for the "dude bros" as Northern Monkey Girl called them. I find that just a random potato or parsnip or winter squash here and there works well (or sushi). It doesn't have to be a set schedule.
    That's why I'm appreciating this thread. The dude bros were at it again in another thread I read today. 1200 grams of carbs on one guy's carb refeed schedule! A 40lb box in preparation for another guy's carb refeed plan. Good lord!

If I ate a little extra carbs once a week it would make The Man happy. He could make Indian food and I could go easy on the rice, dal and chana masala but not frustrate him by turning it down. I'm not totally convinced beans are the devil anyway, especially when steak and eggs form the better part of my diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i think the occasional indian is not a problem. indian food is tasty.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I wonder whether just changing your food for a period, e.g. a week, can shake things up a bit. I've found several times when I've been on holiday I have lost weight, or lose it shortly after I return. Might be higher carbs, or might just be different food.
    I think there is definitely something to be said for just shaking things up a bit and not letting your dietary regimens become ruts. I seem to go through phases where I go ultra low carb and then suddenly carbs appeal again. Sometimes I go more with lean high protein and sometimes more fat calls to me. Sometimes I eat all seafood for a week and then nothing but red meat for a while. I am trying to listen to these urgings from my body. (Caveat: "listening to your body" is NOT a good idea if your body is still lying to you and telling you to eat cookies, it really needs cookies. I have been at this a while and am trying to let my body guide me to what it needs.)

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Any one else have cravings for sweets around ovulation time? I just had some chocolate peanut butter fudge. Way too sweet for my tastes anymore, but part of me really wanted it. Stupid hormones! I definitely should have bought a less-full package, because I have half left over....

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I don't crave sweets but salty (preferably crunchy) foods. My go to was salt and vinegar chips - YUM! I'm reduced to pork rinds now.

Page 7 of 183 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast