Page 62 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 62

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    When Mark asked for suggestions on what to add to the MDA world I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth - Can we please have more information for us older gals? ............. but was affraid I'd get blasted by the guys who think this all works the same no matter what your age or gender. So, I didn't ask.
    I posted a LOOONG laundry list - one was exactly that. If they could somehow also manage to make the success stories, success in the making, even journals searchable by age, sex, challenges, health concerns, it would help me, for one, feel less alone.

I, too, saw quite a few cries for older primals and older women to be represented...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I've tried all kinds of variations in macronutrients, tried eliminating dairy, tried eliminating fruit, tried a big protein-heavy breakfast ... and the scale magically stays at the EXACT SAME NUMBER despite huge swings in calories, amount of fat, etc. Clearly there is a really robust mechanism at work there to keep it so steady, no? I feel like our hormones have a major part in keeping our set point higher than we'd like, and nobody seems to understand how it works!
    Me too. From age 16 on, I could never get to and hold weight below 118-120 lbs. And still my whole soul rebels against the idea of the set point spelled out in the Why Women Need Fat (A good book, with a lot of interesting hypothesis on the subject). I just refuse to believe that others can do it, and I cannot.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure Paula is a lovely woman and I'm happy for her success, but I hate her success story. She starts as an already perfect-figured woman, points to the puniest little roll of fat she can barely bunch up on her belly--she even has to slouch to get a decent grip on it, then she turns into a body-building model with bigger muscles than a lot of men. I'm sure lots of people want that, but I would like to see someone go from a typical middle-aged, overweight office-worker type to someone who looks like Paula did in her before pictures.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

^ Me too!

Well, here is my pictures of shame:

The first set of pictures is my CW weight loss, 30 lbs in 18 weeks and going sick and completely emaciated in the upper body (age 34-35) and the second set of pictures is after a year of paleo/primal and 2 years of lifting. I will be 37 in September. I hold an 8 hrs a day desk job, commute and have a 5.5 yo daughter. I would consider myself quite below average on athletic achievements front (neither strong, nor fast, nor flexible, but good endurance) and quite inclined to gaining weight. My body is very average female with wide hip and small shoulders, easily losing upper body everything and hoarding around the hip and after birth of my child around the waistline. I actually wrote up my story for Mark, so if anyone is interested I can post it here. But as you know, i can't break my last plateau for love or money, starvation or lifting or sprints.

Last edited by Leida; 05-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Well, here is my pictures of shame:

[SNIP] I actually wrote up my story for Mark, so if anyone is interested I can post it here. But as you know, i can't break my last plateau for love or money, starvation or lifting or sprints.
    I'm very interested in reading your story for Mark. I think you look fabulous, but then again, you have different goals than I and know what you want and should be. Wow, I do think you look great. But yes, I'd love to read about your story. I have been reading alot on this forum and in Mark's blogs that for women especially, we'll hit that certain place that the body WANTS to stick to and it'll be extra tough to get below that. I do hope you figure it out!

Kerry

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ I agree you look fab Leida, and actually quite muscular across the shoulders/upper back. You look about 15 years younger in your after picture too.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-15-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Leida. Perfect wasp waist and perfect thighs. Perfect abs. You look great. I'm totally envious.

I cannot get rid of this:
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Wow, you are so sweet, ladies.

@sbhikes: If I put on pants with a tight drawstring, I will also have a muffin top. Sometimes I think that all I need to reach my goals is a new pair of pants. And, if you ate in the past 24 hrs, your belly will be protruding some.

I will find the file and post the story. I think the key thing though that I had to realize was that I do not want to be thin. I want to be firm. That's a HUGE difference. That a fitness program has to be adjusted to the current goal & that one needs to always aim to do minimum possible that produces the desirable result. Because by aiming for higher than min you reduce the room to improve, as there is an athletic ceiling and the time restrictions. Conversely, with food, it's maximum possible that produces the desired results. Too low robbs you of the room to decrease calories when you will need it.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-16-2012 at 07:31 AM.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I read 11 pages of those comments and several of them begged for more information for older gals. Several of them said the success stories are nice, but where are the older women. It's definitely a glaring omission out there. I never could find a single ancestral health blogger out there who wouldn't just dismiss us older women with derisive comments like "you must be lying and going face-down in the carbs" or "this will work if you don't cheat, you must be cheating" or "if this doesn't work then it's just too late for you."
    GRRRR! I hate that mentality. The truth is - hormones rule the body (male and female) - however, a womans hormones are constantly is a state of flux! Then - we hit menopause - and we find ourselves in a hormonal void! Why is it so difficult for some men to wrap their little pee brains around that fact? Sometimes I think the bigger their muscles get - the smaller their brains get!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation