Page 61 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 61

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Tomi and Pedidoc,
    Have you tried not worrying about your calories and macros so much? Choose whole foods that you enjoy, stop eating when you're no longer hungry (not necessarily full). High stress and cortisol levels can stop weight loss. I think what works for me so well about this WOE is that I stress less, just try to move, and take a few minutes every day to truly enjoy life (albeit easy when I can just stop and watch my kids playing). My 2 main goals are to eat only when truly hungry and to keep stress levels as low as possible. Both are tricky with 2 small kids, but I seem to be doing okay lately.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    @pedidoc --- we'll figure it out as long as we keep trying! I read what other people are doing and think I should try that, or that, or that....... but every BODY is different. When I posted questons about weight loss and cholesterol and elevated CRP levels a lot of people told me my body isn't going to give up the weight if there is something wrong on a metabolic level. So, I'm in the waiting part of blood tests and saliva tests. Next doc appt is not for 3 weeks. UGH. If nothing is wrong metabolically then it has to be in my diet. I can give up anything if it will result in losing weight! I've given up all grains because it basically cured my fibromyalgia. I will admit lately I've had TOO MUCH dairy - and a bit too much sugar. The past couple weeks have been rough.........and I've let down my guard a bit.

Its discouraging when so many posts are saying "I just ate what I wanted of healthy real foods and the weight just fell off!" Seriously...... But - that being said, I AM determined to be one of the success stories eventually. We will find the right combination, and we will find our success! Stay with me, pedidoc!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Tomi,
    I'm in this for the long run. I've been reading this thread and several journals. I agree every body is different and it seems we are more alike than we originally thought!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It really is going to be different for 20-something men and menopausal women. It just is. Hormones, stress, age, number of years eating crap - they all make it a little more difficult, no matter what you eat now.

Hang in there!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tomi is online now Senior Member
    When Mark asked for suggestions on what to add to the MDA world I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth - Can we please have more information for us older gals? ............. but was affraid I'd get blasted by the guys who think this all works the same no matter what your age or gender. So, I didn't ask.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I read 11 pages of those comments and several of them begged for more information for older gals. Several of them said the success stories are nice, but where are the older women. It's definitely a glaring omission out there. I never could find a single ancestral health blogger out there who wouldn't just dismiss us older women with derisive comments like "you must be lying and going face-down in the carbs" or "this will work if you don't cheat, you must be cheating" or "if this doesn't work then it's just too late for you."
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I asked for more guest posts, maybe from people on the forums about what's working for them and their self-experimentation process. It'd be nice to highlight folks from the internal community more often, like Nerd Fitness sometimes does.

It's my time of the month and this is the worst period I've gotten since going primal. I had some really nice periods since then too! My flow got pretty heavy, then lightened, my cramps vanished, my migraines went away etc. This time, my flow is a different consistency than I'm used to (used to be like this on hormonal birth control and I hated it), I've got headaches, bloating (which I NEVER used to get), and awful cramps. I also had really terrible PMS last week. I really just want to eat 90% Lindt dark chocolate all day for the rest of the week for all meals. Except that I know I would get a terrible headache and stomachache! I wish I could go home and sleep
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The only older woman success story I know of is Paula's:

A Primal Woman Looks at 50+ | Mark's Daily Apple

However, Paula doesn't have kids and is in fitness industry. Her results are stunning though and make me wanna cry with envy. Her "befores" are pretty much the best I can manage so far.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I read 11 pages of those comments and several of them begged for more information for older gals. Several of them said the success stories are nice, but where are the older women. It's definitely a glaring omission out there. I never could find a single ancestral health blogger out there who wouldn't just dismiss us older women with derisive comments like "you must be lying and going face-down in the carbs" or "this will work if you don't cheat, you must be cheating" or "if this doesn't work then it's just too late for you."
    I concur! And more about women in general, and how to work with the huge influences our hormones play. I'll be 31 next month so I'm not in the menopausal crowd yet, but man is it hard to make my weight and/or body composition budge. I feel your frustration about all the young guys acting like we're obviously cheating if we're not seeing weight just fall off. I thank my lucky stars that the weight I'm stuck at is a pretty normal one for my height, but UGH do I ever have terrible cellulite. I've tried all kinds of variations in macronutrients, tried eliminating dairy, tried eliminating fruit, tried a big protein-heavy breakfast ... and the scale magically stays at the EXACT SAME NUMBER despite huge swings in calories, amount of fat, etc. Clearly there is a really robust mechanism at work there to keep it so steady, no? I feel like our hormones have a major part in keeping our set point higher than we'd like, and nobody seems to understand how it works!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The only older woman success story I know of is Paula's:

A Primal Woman Looks at 50+ | Mark's Daily Apple

However, Paula doesn't have kids and is in fitness industry. Her results are stunning though and make me wanna cry with envy. Her "befores" are pretty much the best I can manage so far.
    Paula's success story blew me away too, and I knew immediately who you were talking about from memory, before checking your link.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.