Page 60 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 60

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by snorth View Post
    Hi, all: I'm new to PB (beginning my 4th week) and have been following this thread with interest. I'm 57 yrs old, about 5'2" and weighed 140 at the start of my PB journey. Prior to beginning PB, I trained for and ran half-marathons -- not because I loved running, but because it was an easy way to ramp up my metabolism and burn calories. I started running about 4 years ago and at first lost weight. But ultimately, even the long distance running didn't bring weight loss. Since starting PB, I've backed off the running (in part due to a knee issue). I walk every day, have started back with XFit 2x/wk when I'm home (I travel for my job) and am attempting to get to hot yoga 1x/wk. I also play golf (9 holes walking per week) and kayak.

Since starting PB, I've lost .5 lbs. I'm not totally focused on the scale and am ok with slow weight loss. I'd even be happy with becoming more muscled/toned and having clothes fit better, but that hasn't really happened yet either.

The reason I'm posting is that when I started PB, I focused on eliminating grains and sugar. I've done a good job with that, having only 1-2 diversions in the 3+ wks. However, I'm still eating a small amount of dairy (cheese, a little yogurt), have a glass of red wine almost daily and a square of 86% chocolate almost daily. Also, as a result of years of CW, it's taking a real mental adjustment to move away from low-fat way of eating (lean cuts of beef, chicken breast without skin, turkey breast without skin, no bacon, etc). I'm also still eating 3 meals per day plus a snack on most days.

A "typical" day of eating includes:

B: 2 eggs, veg, maybe a slice of cheese in an omelet, cooked in butter/ghee or coconut oil
    L: leftovers from dinner, veg, frozen blueberries with coconut milk (yum!!)
    S: homemade beef jerky, maybe with a slice of cheese; or pork rinds w/ homemade salsa
    D: meat, veg, sometimes a 1/2 a potato or sw potato, 1 gl red wine, 1 square chocolate

My plan is to refine my diet monthly. So my question is: what should I focus on next -- dairy, wine, chocolate or more fat? I've not been ravenously hungry but by the time meal time comes around, I'm hungry and ready to eat. The afternoon snack could be more habit than true hunger...

TIA for any and all thoughts you have.
    I would focus on eating enough for lunch that you can get to dinner without a snack most days. If you're feeling good and happy with your results, there's no need to cut anything else.

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Her journal is really good. I, too, was amazed when I went on low-carb primal how all my disordered eating and mental problems with food went away. I feel a lot of regret for how many years I wasted blaming myself for my shortcomings around food.
    I completely agree. My mental issues aren't completely resolved, but it is amazing to me at how radiantly peaceful and happy I feel when I'm well-nourished.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

F 5'9" | 32 yrs old | small frame | HW: 187 | CW: 177.2 | GW: 135

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snorth View Post
    I'm 57 yrs old, about 5'2" and weighed 140 at the start of my PB journey. Prior to beginning PB, I trained for and ran half-marathons -- not because I loved running, but because it was an easy way to ramp up my metabolism and burn calories. I started running about 4 years ago and at first lost weight. But ultimately, even the long distance running didn't bring weight loss.

it's taking a real mental adjustment to move away from low-fat way of eating (lean cuts of beef, chicken breast without skin, turkey breast without skin, no bacon, etc). I'm also still eating 3 meals per day plus a snack on most days.

TIA for any and all thoughts you have.
    Sorry for snipping your post.

I'm 47, 5'3" and started around 160lbs. I also had the experience of exercising to extreme amounts, having it work at first and then eventually it didn't work anymore. I went so extreme I walked the length of California, Oregon and Washington and even that wasn't enough. I figured there was nothing I could do about being fat and my only hope with this diet was to turn off my out-of-control hunger.

The diet has worked beyond my expectations. Dietary fat, especially fat from animals such as beef tallow, beef fat, butter, cream, and pork fat turns off my hunger. So does adequate protein from meat.

I do not consume any fake stuff like protein powder or faux foods like almond flour pancakes. I don't go "lite" on anything. When I eat chicken, it's a quarter to a half of a chicken with all the skin. When I eat like this, at first when I had lots of weight to lose, I went all day long between breakfast and dinner without hunger and without eating. I actually lost weight. Nowadays my lunch is usually just a snack-sized lunch, usually a can of sardines (in oil and I eat the oil with a spoon) or a thermos of bone broth or even a banana. My hunger is under control and I can trust it.

I eat low-reward foods, which I think I finally understand what that means. My foods are delicious (shockingly I actually get praised for my cooking nowadays!), but they don't contain things that excite receptors in the brain. Meats, vegetables, sweet potatoes, fats, spices, salt, butter, gourmet things like super-rare rib-eyes or fancy mushrooms etc. The food I eat is fabulous. Because it's all real, I can trust my appetite again. Because I can trust my appetite, I don't have to force myself to exercise to balance my calories. I still sometime get worried about how much I eat but I am getting better every day at realizing that my body does work like a normal person now and my sense of trust gets better all the time.

Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am so envious of everyone who can do low carb/high fat and feels good and satisfied. I feel so sunny, happy and active right now, and light... but I am eating watermelons a lot. I still can't get back in the grove to drop fruit. I doubt I ever will. I become such a bitch on high fat diet.

What I envy the most in the Friday blog is that she managed to let go of her misgivings about her body. Not excersising part though, I think she simply lives off her previous muscle memory. Since it was a torture to her from the sound of it, great she dropped it, but I totally wouldn't drop my training for anything for the energy boost and mood lifting it provides me with.

But boy, I would give a LOT to be a meat & vegetables girl.

@snorth: I think the day you roast a whole chicken you will let go off the skinless reservations. In fact I am afraid to roast chickens because of the concern about the O6 in the chicken fat. It's sooo good right out of the oven with that crispy salty skin! But now I am afraid to eat it because of O6 concern. Darn.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-14-2012 at 07:30 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm not that low carb, Leida. I frequently eat bananas and even dates, which have a higher glycemic load than pure sugar. I eat sweet potatoes almost every day. I'm right there within the carb curve that Mark recommends for weight loss. I have simply come to realize that I can't wuss out. I've got to eat meals that at restaurants might be labeled "The Mountain Man" or "The Coronary Bypass" otherwise I get nowhere. I'm not going for a sub-female level of body fat. I'm just going for whatever I get naturally from my genes. Real animal fat restores my appetite and my eating to sanity.

As an aside, I ate a lot of restaurant food over the past few days and I could taste the excitotoxins in the salad dressing and sprinkled all over the grilled skinless chicken breast and could tell the oils were rancid and the meat was off and can't believe people eat that up every day thinking it's normal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I eat all those fatty meats too, grass-fed/pasturized, but yeah... no dice. I enjoy it, but I gotta have lots of veggies and fruit as well to feel good.

Heh, I can't recall the last time I ate in the restaurant. They are such a rip-off for what one can do at home.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    @snort --- love the name! Welcome to MDA and primal and this thread. It sounds like you've got things pretty together. It takes time and tweaking to figure out just what works for each of us....... I've been at this since November 11 and I still don't have it figured out.

Good luck!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've got to eat meals that at restaurants might be labeled "The Mountain Man" or "The Coronary Bypass" otherwise I get nowhere. I'm not going for a sub-female level of body fat. I'm just going for whatever I get naturally from my genes. Real animal fat restores my appetite and my eating to sanity.
    This is hilarious, and true for me too. When my roommate K comments on my breakfast, like "Wow, that's a lot of meat!" , I start singing, "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay," to her and she starts laughing.

And then I tell her that I'm only doing it out of consideration to her and the other human beings around me -- eating this way makes me a MUUUUUUUCH nicer person.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

F 5'9" | 32 yrs old | small frame | HW: 187 | CW: 177.2 | GW: 135

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Still looking for the magic formula for my weight loss.......... I know its out there!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Still looking for the magic formula for my weight loss.......... I know its out there!
    Tomi-
    I've been quiet for a few weeks, because I'm struggling with the same issue. If I don't get enough fat and protein I crave carbs. I've tried various tweaks and just have not hit on the right one. The incessant travel does not help with eating at odd hours. Excercise is difficult to get in, but I'm trying - squats and hand weights when I can. If you figure out the secret, please share.