Page 6 of 183 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 6

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think this is a really important discussion. I thought I was eating tons, too, but when I started using PaleoTrack, I was only eating about 1700-1800 calories on per day, and some days quite a bit less. At my height (5'10") and age and activity level, it seems to be resulting in weight loss. Even though I'm not purposely limiting intake, I can't discount it as a factor.

csgmoore is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And then tell you your "starving yourself" and your metabolism is going to crash if you only eat 1500 a day. I think we as women need to get our heads around the idea that we just don't need to eat all that much food. Portion sizes in restaurants are insane and if we try to duplicate that at home, it's simply too much. You can't serve yourself and your SO the same size plate of food and expect to lose weight.
    Whenever I visit the US, I'm always blown away by the portion size and that portion size increases the further out from the towns that you get. Years ago, my family had an incredibly cheap holiday in the West Coat - it was cheap because the portion sizes were so huge that we would just order two dishes and split them between four of us. On another holiday, I noticed how invidious huge portion sizes were - at start I would spilt a huge salad with my sister. At the end of two weeks, I could eat a whole one by myself.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    I'm having the standard issues of many women my age. Sleep issues, heart palpitations, drifty mind, too much to do and not enough time, stress, etc.
    I totally read this as dirty mind. I thought, "What's the problem with that?"

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    My name is Paula. I'm 44, a Mom of 3 sons, and a HS Teacher. I have been Primal for 14 months and lost 60-65 lbs depending on the day. Damn scale! My highest weight was 280 (1/2010) I spent months losing and gaining the same 20 lbs on WW before my Chiro turned me on to Paleolithic eating.

I started the Primal Blueprint on 9/24/2010, hoping to lose weight, but in the end it has really about saving my life. About three weeks in I landed in the ICU with Pulmonary Emboli caused by inflammation damage to my legs. I was lucky. 40% of people die the first time.
    I was also pre diabetic and have a higher chance of getting ovarian cancer because my Mother had it.

Anyway, with that history you might think I became Primal and never looked back. Sadly, I have not been able to defeat the monster that Zoebird described. My first year of Primal I was able to keep bingeing down to 2-3 per month and I still lost weight steadily. The bingeing got truly out of control however, as I watched my Mother lose her fight with cancer. For me stress + emotions + hormones equal an overwhelming desire to comfort feed. I have been looking for a solution to this problem. I've tried 5htp, feeding myself more, higher carb, lower carb, leptin reset. All worked somewhat but no eureka! solution was found.

I believe for me that counting calories and tracking is necessary. I eat 3 meals a day, no snacks. I feel that the Primal Blueprint does not cover the psychological reasons why we overeat. I have a lifelong love / hate affair with food. So to help me move forward I have started using a program called SPEED (sleep, psychology, environment, exercise, diet). I feel it brings together all the best parts of calorie counting, leptin reset, primal blueprint and addresses my binge issue where it starts...in my mind.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I found this review of a research paper focussed on women which some might find interesting.... Study: More weight lost on high carb diets for some | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition Blog

The state of Si (insulin sensitivity) determines the effectiveness of macronutrient composition of hypocaloric diets in obese women.
    I have to say at the time I was SO entrenched in low/moderate carb i.e. Zone diet was “THE RIGHT WAY TO EAT” I actually couldn’t get my head around the fact that this study showed that when two different calorie reduced diets were tested some women lost more weight on the higher carb diet. Significantly more than they did on a higher protein, lower carb diet.
    Her point is, what works for one person might not work that way for everyone. The comments are worth a read too. Good to see a debate.
    Last edited by jo; 12-14-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I found this review of a research paper focussed on women which some might find interesting.... Study: More weight lost on high carb diets for some | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition Blog

Her point is, what works for one person might not work that way for everyone. The comments are worth a read too. Good to see a debate.
    Thank you for the link. I've been reading the book 'Catching Fire' and it would make sense that women historically ate more carbs than men due to the fact that they gathered the carby food and likely snacked while working.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I guess I should officially post. I've been lurking in this thread. I'm 34, 5'0, currently 148 lbs. I'm down 15 lbs since the beginning of September when I started PB. My weight loss has completely come to a halt the past 4 weeks. Not sure why. Eating the same. Could be stress since the holidays completely do me under with all the organizing. I'm also breastfeeding my DS so I'm wondering if that is slowing my weight loss.

Hi!

I'm 38, mother of two (a ten year old and a 15 mo old). 5'10", 215lbs. "Big Nordic Frame" body type.

I'm back on MDA after a stop/start/stop/start primal journey.... figured I'd chime in after lurking around a bit.

Been primal for 14 solid days now, with a couple 'cheats' here and there (mochas, chocolate...). I feel as though I've finally figured things out a bit more, and the keys to my success have been to have no alcohol of any kind, and to actually track the carbs I've taken for granted.

I had an 'a-ha!" moment a couple of weeks ago as I looked at the # of carbs in my favorite Trader Joe's vanilla yogurt, and realized I was well into the 200+ mark. Also realizing that I was drinking about 2k worth of calories of wine in a week.... Not good! The worst part was my moods, holy crap, I was going from giddy to morose in a matter of minutes. Both sides of my family have a long history of alcoholism and depression - GEE I WONDER WHY! The two go strongly hand in hand. Add sugar and excess carbs and it's a time bomb. I can easily eat tons of meat and vegis and more 'real' foods, but throw in my 'I've been a good girl today, I think I'll have some wine' sessions (after having a mocha at 3pm) and I packed the lbs around my waist and upper hips.

The first few days were so rough, I actually felt physically ill. Night sweats, the whole bit. Then I made a great discovery - I actually could drink my morning espresso without sugar! And it tasted wonderful (found a great local roaster). That was a breakthrough, as sugary coffee drinks have been a staple of mine for years. For some reason that was the last wall that crumbled for me as far as habits go. (then I discovered bulletproof coffee and things got even better). I was associating the 'no sugar' with 'huge change' and for some reason it was freaking me out in a bad way. I thought 'I can never do this'. Silly now that I think about it.

After that I read more about the Leptin Reset - which I won't attempt until I'm primal for at least a couple more months. I'm ovulating and have been dreaming about hot, fresh, crispy french fries for several days now. The german dill pickles from Trader Joe's get rid of that salt craving though!

I'm not in this to lose a ton of weight on the scale, I just want to be in control of my 'temple'. I don't mind if the scale reads 190lbs, as long as I've got the muscle to show for it - which I can easily do, as lifting heavy things is one of my favorite things to do. However I could never truly master my mind, moods, or cravings with out drastically altering my sugar and alcohol intake. For now I'm keeping the workouts to a minimum to let my body heal. I love exercising and working out, but always did it in order to eat or drink more. Not good.

One note as far as 'girly' stuff goes - yesterday I had one of my 'cheat' mochas, prob. about 50g of sugar by itself - and I felt it quickly. I got bloated within an hour, and my uterus felt tender and sore. I've never had female problems in the past, but I'd noticed that towards my periods this was happening more and more aside from the usual cramps. I thought it was just from the glories of A.G.E. and such. But it persisted after I had my second daughter and I knew it had to be my diet, I just decided to ignore it.

I can't wait to see how things feel after a few months. I've already noticed a change in my body mass, even though I've only gone from 217 to 215 lbs. My legs lean out first, then my arms, and lastly my waist. But I can see it in my face and neck. I'm going to take before pics tonight so I have reference for the future.

Keep up the great work, ladies!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    some women lost more weight on the higher carb diet. Significantly more than they did on a higher protein, lower carb diet.
    I've been a big fan of archevore.com and recently I bought the Protein Power book. I recently noticed that both these plans recommend a period of really low carbs at first, and then if you want to lose weight, to increase carbs a little. The thing is, it's simply mentioned by each, but not really expanded upon much or stressed. I asked a bunch of low-carbers about this and they all told me they're wrong, it has to be low carb all the way, the lower the better. I don't think I'm the only one to have missed this little detail about increasing carbs to lose weight. But now I am wondering. With all the holiday parties I've attended, I've eaten a tad more harmless carbs lately (rice mostly) and even some sugary desserts (chocolate mousse, hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps), and I've somehow started losing more weight after being stuck for a while.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's sort of a carb refeed, sbhikes. i find that a modest amount now and again (like, once a week since holiday parties tend to be weekly) then another long period of no indulgences, tends to create that sort of opportunity for weight loss (or increased leanness).

Page 6 of 183 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast