Page 41 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 41

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Calories in-calories out isn't always the case, particularly if you're dealing with metabolic issues. I didn't realize before you have possible thyroid issues (and could also have the accompanying adrenal fatigue). Until you get that straightened out, cutting calories is only going to stress your thyroid and adrenals further. Your body won't lose the weight until it's been healed. I'd focus on that, to be honest. Thyroid issues are no joke!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Oh boy ---- and I thought I was on the right track - yet again. So, do I go to the doc and get tests to see what is happening with my thyroid and adrenals? I work for an Endo, and for 8 years he was my doc too, but I've recently changed to a doc who uses both western/conventional medicine and a more holistic approach. Depends on which is more appropriate for the problem at hand. Should I NOT wait till my June appt to have these things looked at?

I will email her right now and see what she says. (done)

Thanks, Ladies for all your input and collective wisdom.

As for the CICO thinking.......... yes, I agree it is CW thinking - but its also basic physiology. However, taking into consideration the other possible issues, its not the only factor to be focusing on. I'll get these other things looked at. I did start taking Kelp supplements just this week. And I'm going to get Magnesium, as my current supplements only total 260 mg. Also adding 5HTP, Vitamin K2, Garlic, Quercetin, Ubiquinol - and will start buying DHA eggs.

Another thing I need to talk to my husband about is our bed. We have a memory foam mattress - and although I think it is really comfortable, it sleeps VERY hot! its obsorbs body heat, and I tend to sweat all night! we have our bedroom window open all winter, and I still sleep too hot! I hate to get rid of it, cuz it was very expensive - but if I'm not sleeping well, it isn't worth hanging on to. Unless I could find some kind of thick all cotton mattress pad that might be enough to buffer the heat hogging mattress.

UGH! too much to think about today.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read around the web it's nearly impossible to get a proper diagnosis or treatment for thyroid issues. I believe I've had a low thyroid my entire life. Doctors have been suggesting it and testing me for it my entire life, but the numbers always come within normal range. Well, reading around, it appears the range for what is normal is too wide. And even if they treat for that one lab value, they're not treating the problem, so they might be able to get your lab number correct but you'll still have all the low thyroid symptoms. These are "symptoms" I have had my entire life. I put that in quotes because for me this is just normal:

- always cold
    - thin, dry hair
    - very dry skin
    - never been anything better than pudgy
    - high cholesterol no matter what kind of diet I've been on
    - at times I've been very low in energy (not now, though)

I can't blame any of this on low carb because all of this has been my normal state my entire life. Eating lowish carb primal I've never felt more bursting with energy and happiness, but I'm still always cold (why do I bother buying cute tops when I wear a down jacket almost every single day???), my hair and skin are dry, I'm not able to lose any more weight and I have no idea what my cholesterol is.

I only feel warm when I'm getting one of my little hot flashes which I get a few hours after taking my supplements or after eating something extra super delicious like a fatty pork roast or pastured eggs with deep dark yolks, or after sitting under a down blanket for a while (which I do even in summer.) Well, exercise makes me warm. After a mile of walking I usually warm up.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Going up a good hill on a bike definitely counts. I'm 56 and I do my sprints swimming. A 25 yard lap is short enough to go all out.
    Hi, I swim sprints as well! 10 sprints of 25 m with lazy swim in between, warm-up/cool down, and I feel like I have been put through a wringer from the tip of my fingers to the very end of my fins! And I am only 37.... Swimming is AWSOME!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    From my experience, getting diagnosed with thyroid issues is easier than getting optimally treated. Things I have learned that can help insure proper consideration and treatment include:
    1. Getting educated on thyroid disease. I like Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules - Metabolism - Weight Loss - Diet - Hormones - Hormonal Balance - Perimenopause - Menopause . Mary Shomon is very knowledgeable and the forum
    there is fantastic.
    2. Finding a doctor that is open minded and willing to work WITH you, instead of dictating standard protocol.
    3. Understanding that thyroid treatment is often not an easy--take this pill and you'll be fine-- experience. It is also not a
    success only journey. And getting numbers/symptoms in a good place with meds is supposed to happen. It does not mean
    you're fixed and no longer need the medication. Thyroid hormone replacement is often for life.
    4. Learning about things that can hinder thyroid function-- soy, low selenium, low ferritin (anemia), low vitamin D,
    estrogen replacement including BC pills, too low carbs...
    5. Realizing that not all things/symptoms lead to thyroid. Again, low Vitamin D, low ferritin, blood sugar issues, symptoms can
    mimic those of low thyroid.
    6. Learning to be your own best advocate when you know something isn't right. Asking questions like, So, if it's not thyroid,
    then what are we going to do find out why I'm always cold, tired,?? Where's the harm in running test X to rule out issue Z?
    While my TSH and free T4 is in range, my T4 is very low and my TSH could be lower, so what's the harm in trying a low
    dose (or increase)of medication to see if my symptoms abate. I will watch for hyper signs and retest in 6 weeks.
    7. Making sure to get copies of ALL test results.. This allows you to have info if you change doctors, gives you the
    opportunity to actually see where you are "in the range", notice patterns, and share results to get feedback from
    knowledgeable people.

sbhikes, do any of the symptoms found here sound familiar:
    Iron Deficiency

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I only feel warm when I'm getting one of my little hot flashes which I get a few hours after taking my supplements or after eating something extra super delicious like a fatty pork roast or pastured eggs with deep dark yolks, or after sitting under a down blanket for a while (which I do even in summer.) Well, exercise makes me warm. After a mile of walking I usually warm up.
    Do you drink coffee or tea with butter? It helps me tremendously with always being cold thing. Arctic folks eat seal fat - the only thing that keeps them warm, butter kind of does the same trick for me. The thing that caused my cold spells were eating too little and fasting too long. I am getting disenchanted with fasting....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Sbhikes maybe try cold thermogenesis. Also try setting your thermostat a little cooler & sleep with just a sheet. Helps the body to learn to tolerate cold which I've read helps the thyroid, at least a little. Too much estrogen like estrogen dominance is also a factor I think. The CT can help with that also by flushing out xenoestrogens that are trapped in fat cells- the CT kills the cells.
    I have some thyroid issues but have been less sluggish lately.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Sbhikes maybe try cold thermogenesis. Also try setting your thermostat a little cooler & sleep with just a sheet. Helps the body to learn to tolerate cold which I've read helps the thyroid, at least a little. Too much estrogen like estrogen dominance is also a factor I think. The CT can help with that also by flushing out xenoestrogens that are trapped in fat cells- the CT kills the cells.
    I have some thyroid issues but have been less sluggish lately.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Thermostat? What's that?

Fortunately, I don't have any of the symptoms of iron deficiency. I did have low hematocrit once, but that was due to fibroids causing me to have massively bloody periods that went on non-stop for months. I got a hysterectomy and everything is fine now.

I really have never been sure that I have low thyroid. It's just something my doctors have always suspected, tested me and then said nope, everything's within range. I only have a few of the symptoms and not the worst ones. I actually feel really amazingly good on this diet, happy and energetic. I feel way better than I ever did in my 20s and 30s. So I get conflicted when I read all the horror stories.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good Friday Morning, Ladies! Wow - some great conversations going on here. Thyroid is certainly a bugger to fix - as I said, I work for an Endo and I see all kinds of crazy things there. Maybe thats why I haven't been willing to look that route - cuz I know what a can of worms it can open up. I'll see what the doc has to say.........

Wish I could offer some help on the subject - but I'm at a loss.

I did find a mattress cover that I'm going to buy today at Bed Bath and Beyond. Its a Wamsutta Cool and Fresh Fiberbed and its supposed to be great for over those heat sucking memory foam beds. At least many of the reviews said its wonderful at eliminating the night sweats. Maybe my problem isn't menopausal night sweats at all......... maybe its just my mattress. Wouldn't that be awesome! That means I spent $35 on natural progestera cream for nothing!

So -- who's looking forward to todays success story? I have mixed emotions....... I don't want to see another "oh, the pounds just melted off, it was so easy, and I ate as much as I wanted!!!!" ................... I think I might puke if I hear that again! Sorry - but I am pretty tired of it. I want to hear - "The eating part was a synch - but I nearly killed myself working out and I finally lost that big butt!" Thats much more realistic and believable.

I'm 3 days in on the IFing thing. Starting day 4, and I have to say I'm really hungry this morning. For the past 3 days I've fasted from 8 pm until 6 or 7 pm. Thats a good long fast. Then I'll eat a normal dinner, and a couple squares of D. Chocolate - and maybe some almonds. I go to bed full. I feel like my mid-section is a bit slimmer, and I see it in my face. I'm trying to stay away from the dreaded scale until the 25th (i try to weigh only every 2 weeks). I actually like the feeling of not even thinking about food all day. I think fasting might be a good thing for me - at least for a while. I don't know how long to do this though - maybe a week, and then go back to just eating when I'm hungry? then doing the fast again? Maybe do this once a month? I want to get to the point of eating when my body says it needs food - not when the clock says its time.

Gotta run - its take my mom shopping and help her with her bills and stuff day - then a haircut, then to the DMV and the Marine Board, then to Bed, Bath and Beyond, and then to pick up Rx for husband. This my "friday off" !!!! HA no such luck.

Its supposed to be a BEAUTIFUL weekend in the Pacific NW!!! I'm so looking forward to some warmth and sunshine! Have a GREAT DAY all!