Page 4 of 183 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 4

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So you ladies are loving the Primal Transformation (Frank Sabia's) story today right? Lol! I think it's an amazing success story, but I can tell you that being female and 47, and having adhered to Primal 95/5% for 7 months, and lifting heavy 3x/week for the last year, there is NO way I have come close to those types of results! And it's not to take anything away from Frank, what he did is amazing, it's just that I have to laugh sometimes to when I see the posts from mostly men who have very quick results, and then come across as if we women aren't trying hard enough, or don't have enough willpower. There's no doubt in my mind that women just metabolize fat differently, and that our hormones make it much more difficult to shed excess fat. Mark has written that it's 80% diet, 10% working out, 5% sleep, 5% stress. I think that's true for men, but for women I'd say it's 60% diet, 34% hormones, 5% working out, .05% sleep and .05% stress. But I am not making excuses, and I will continue the Primal lifestyle and fitness plans, I feel great, look much better and run rings around my 20 something counterparts in the energy, fitness and strength dept. Just wish I could get rid of my belly and look really good naked!

LuluButtons is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katiedid View Post
    i'm 30 and 5'8'', no health issues, no meds. I started primal in June and weighed 195. Now, it's December and I'm still weighing in at 190! I started Crossfit two months ago, and have definitley lost inches, and have gone down one size. People have commented to me how I look like I've lost weight, but since it's only 5 lbs, it's somewhat depressing.

I know I can't be concerned about the scale... but 190? I totally understand hovering around the 150-160 range. But you'd think that since I have so much to lose, that I would have lost a little more by now.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience? I track my food for historical purposes, not to limit any certain intake... so I know I'm averaging about 1600-1700 calories and about 75 carbs on a daily basis. I eat over 100g protein daily. My ratios seem spot on. I DO have the occasional 1000 calorie day where I IF through dinner and the occasional 2000+ day where I have sweet potatoes, etc...

I'm wondering if I need to look at calorie restriction as a way to get some of the weight off? I'm pretty strong and muscular (underneath all this fat!), so my ideal weight is about 155. I KNOW I will get there... my question is, how long will it take? UGH!
    I'm in exactly the same boat. I *feel* like I've lost more, but really it's between 5-7 pounds. I have the same amount to lose and started at the same point. I havent even broken from the 190's into the 180's. Even that would feel like an accomplishment at this point.

But I feel healthier and am generally happier, so I hang my hat on that (for now).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    So you ladies are loving the Primal Transformation (Frank Sabia's) story today right? Lol! I think it's an amazing success story, but I can tell you that being female and 47, and having adhered to Primal 95/5% for 7 months, and lifting heavy 3x/week for the last year, there is NO way I have come close to those types of results! And it's not to take anything away from Frank, what he did is amazing, it's just that I have to laugh sometimes to when I see the posts from mostly men who have very quick results, and then come across as if we women aren't trying hard enough, or don't have enough willpower. There's no doubt in my mind that women just metabolize fat differently, and that our hormones make it much more difficult to shed excess fat. Mark has written that it's 80% diet, 10% working out, 5% sleep, 5% stress. I think that's true for men, but for women I'd say it's 60% diet, 34% hormones, 5% working out, .05% sleep and .05% stress. But I am not making excuses, and I will continue the Primal lifestyle and fitness plans, I feel great, look much better and run rings around my 20 something counterparts in the energy, fitness and strength dept. Just wish I could get rid of my belly and look really good naked!
    Absolutely! This is so true. There's something in our bodies that makes weight loss difficult. It HAS to be hormones, and not just faulty ones, the regular ones. If hormones like insulin make us gain weight, why wouldn't other hormones also affect this process? Heck, look at all these fat guys and their man boobs. Their fat is making estrogen. All they have to do is drop the fat and no more extra estrogen. They more they lose the easier it must get or at least it doesn't slow to a crawl or outright stop like it does for us.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Arscott is offline Junior Member
    Hey! I'm enjoying reading through this thread so I thought I'd pop in and say hello. I've been primal since around June; it's been an interesting ride! I've lost 50 lbs since January, around half of it while being primal. So far I've gone from 217.8lbs to 166.0 (I'm about 5'8"). Something I've found interesting... I know that Mark says weight loss is 80% diet-related, but tbh, I've noticed that stress levels play a tremendous role in how much I lose. It seems like the less I think about losing weight, the easier the pounds come off. Ironic how that works, eh? I weigh myself about once a month just to check in, but try not to think about it for the most part. I just try to focus on putting the best fuel possible in my body and trusting it to do it's thing. I know that probably doesn't work for everyone, but I'm quite grateful it's working for me right now. I say right now because I haven't gotten down to those last 10 lbs yet. The general consensus seems to be that when you get down to the last 10 all bets are off. :P

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Interesting discussion here about what works for men might be a tad different than what works for women. I really think that testosterone plays an important role in how quickly you lose weight. This article says there's definitely an association, although I wish I could find some sort of scientific research on how that relationship works. I don't know if one drives the other or if both result from something else. If that makes sense.

I'm short, so my 'major' loss has been going from 163 down to 131. This last ten pounds absolutely SUCKS! What's worse is I'm really not sure if I need to lose 10 lbs. It's hard to make allowances for the muscle I know I've gained. My perfect weight before I started lifting was around 120#, so I'm thinking it should be around 125# when I'm lifting. But that's really just a guess.

But. Arscott, I am in total agreement with you. Just do what you know is right, and don't worry too much about the scale. That bloody thing is a liar, anyway.
    Last edited by Sanctus Real; 12-14-2011 at 06:06 PM.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Shanster is offline Senior Member
    Hey - 41, 5'8", primal since October... Lost 12 lbs... I'm the weight I was in college which is great but started this to see how i'd feel. Spent a massively depressed summer feeling incredibly bad, bad, bad - got blood drawn, VERY low B vitamins...got B shots and took sublingual supplements...

Tried primal and felt very much a sense of well being after 30 days - no horrible depression. Haven't taken any supplements got my blood pulled and everything looks great - THAT alone will keep me primal. Dont ever want to feel that shitty again!

The weight coming off has been nice - I've stalled but beginning to do body weight exercises and hoping to increase strength and get a little definition - nothing dramatic but we'll see where this journey takes me!
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Oh my god that is HILARIOUS!

Yesterday I drank 3 (small) glasses of wine at a party. I swear it makes parties so much better. I think I was playing my fiddle (I suck royally) so much better, too. Oh well, better luck today.

P.S. here is my sad story of weight loss so far. Lots at first, hardly any since. I swear my stomach got bigger between Nov 27 and Dec 4. My legs don't really show here, but I think my legs are getting thinner while the rest of me is doing nothing. There's like no hope for my arms it seems. Why is the weight loss on this diet so weird?

I see a HUGE difference in your arms as well as the rest of you! How impressive to see that significant of a change over such a short period of time, too! Sometimes we just don't see it on ourselves like others can. Keep up the great work and rest assured that it's working!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

cranehigh is offline Senior Member
    Hopping in myself...

I'm 32, no kids, have been wresting with PCOS since I was 12, got up to 280 pounds, made it down to about 200 on a CW diet and exercise plan, and in the last 4 or so months have lost another 15ish. Primal definitely works for me. I feel good when I stick to it. My aches go away, my energy goes through the roof, and the anxiety and depression I've lived with for years calms down to almost nonexistent. The weight loss though... is slow, and comes in chunks, and it can be frustrating to read over and over "I lost 80 pounds this week!".

I'm not 100%. Sometimes I'm not even 80%. I've found that while this is a priority for me, it's not the only priority. Comfortable visits with my family are also important, and I don't even want to develop the "screw them I'm doing my thing" attitude with them. There are weekends when I eat most of my meals with them. I do the best I can, and that has to be good enough. I'm definitely pretty hard on myself sometimes about it, which can lead me down the road to guilt-eating if I'm not careful.

I think our hormones have a Lot to do with how we lose (or don't). Depending on where I am in my cycle, I can have an off the rails weekend and lose a pound, or gain 12. Our bodies are weird.

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    I like the lady thread.

I'm almost 35, 5'10". Started PB at approximately 195 lbs. Highest weight ever was 270 but I've maintained at 200 or below for the past 8 years. I'm fairly strict with the diet - say about 95%. I haven't hopped on the scale, but I think I've lost around 15 - 20 lbs. in the last 8 weeks and have dropped a couple of pants sizes. I've got no trouble losing weight from my belly - my thighs are another story! Such a sad story....

I have no idea what my hormones are doing - I think I have to give it some more time. We've been TTC for several months now and we were doing the temp thing, the ovulation kit...and I got to know my body well and I stopped doing all of that. Now I may start temping and so on again, just because I think that primal eating has changed my cycles enough and erased lots of PMS symptoms. I think I have to relearn how my cycles work.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    I see a HUGE difference in your arms as well as the rest of you! How impressive to see that significant of a change over such a short period of time, too! Sometimes we just don't see it on ourselves like others can. Keep up the great work and rest assured that it's working!
    Thank you. You know what I think? I think I need to reassess what the purpose of this whole journey is for me.

Here's what I know: Last time I went to the doctor they told me I was 163lbs. Today I decided to get the courage to step on the scale. I had been guessing my weight to be 150 but it's actually 140, fully clothed with shoes on. That was a surprise. However, my waist has measured the same for the past month, so I don't really know if I'm stuck at this weight or what. I'm getting a sense that I should just forget about all that. Here's why.

Yesterday I went to two pot-lucks. I managed to do pretty well at both in the primal foods department. There were lots of good things I could choose and I only indulged in minimal bad stuff. The thing I noticed was that my relationship to the food is changing. I have a list of things I know make me feel good. I put them on my plate, eat them, then I'm done. I FEEL done. I don't want more. The desserts aren't calling for me. My mind is focused on the people and the events, not on the food. Isn't this the better goal, better than just being skinny but having to fight a losing inner battle against the need to eat?

Maybe I will never see a true image of myself in the mirror. Maybe I will never look good or feel comfortable in a bikini. Maybe I'll never look like that silly body builder Stacy they keep linking to all the time, with her giant bulging arm veins and her manly v-shaped abdominal muscle thing (what the heck is that thing and why the heck would I even want that?? Oh yeah, because if I don't have that it's because, according to some of the dumb guys around here, I'm demonstrating a lack commitment, yeah whatever, tell that to my 6-figure savings account). I am really enjoying being able to just get on with the business of living, to heal my relationship to food, to gain the vitality I should have. Maybe someday I'll look in the mirror and see something else, but maybe right now I'm starting to see that it doesn't matter. Does this make any sense?

Anyway, I like this thread because I'm pretty sure there are other middle-aged women around here who do understand and who know it's kind of a big deal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 4 of 183 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast