Page 30 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 30

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yeah she really doesn't think saturated fat hurts anybody too much, but she does say that if you have burned out adrenals, you may be low in the kind of hormones/biochemicals that help you convert that into energy. As a result, saturated fat may make for more weight gain in someone's who's burned out. Even then though, she doesn't think it's much of a big deal. She also doesn't hold up grains and bread as an ideal source of carbohydrates. She's a bigger fan of starchy vegetables, quinoa, and lentils. I haven't read any support for canola yet ... I've just read general support for monounsaturated fat, PUFAs and higher Omega 3 intake. For someone who's writing for a mainstream audience, I think she does fine. She's not completely cutting out grains, but she is advocating for more of a primal diet minus the idea that the lower you go in carbs, the more weight you lose. It's more about experimenting to find what amount of carbohydrates is best for you based on your metabolism and activity level. After going too low-carb in Jan. and Feb. -- which resulted in no weight loss, but plenty of insomnia and anxiety -- that advice vibes with me a lot more. Sometimes Mark mentions on here, oh yeah, it all depends on your activity level. But he also generally recommends that damn carbohydrate curve and encouragement of ketosis through fasting. The first is total bull and the second is hurting a good portion of his metabolically damaged readers. Some people with journals on here are doing fasts as long as three days to "heal" themselves, coincidentally after having plenty of difficulty losing weight. It's really concerning me. I don't know all, but my experience up to this point and intuition is telling me that I'm going to be better off taking most of Schwarzbein's advice about healing metabolism first before expecting lasting weight loss.
    Last edited by Lex26; 04-08-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

lessofkate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Pedidoc! Welcome to the thread. Looks like you and I have some things in common - I too am 51, 5' 3" and just passing through the Big M. I'm currently at 188 - goal is 140, and then I'll re-evaluate.

Weather is a factor of course - we live in Oregon - but spring is coming! And we have our books on hiking trails on the coffee table!

It takes a while to find your "sweet spot" for losing. I'm hoping I've found mine - but if I find this isn't working then I'll continue to tweak until I find the right combination. I was hoping to get to goal by my birthday in July..... but I don't think thats going to happen now. I still have 48 pounds to go - and only 16 weeks left. But I will be closer than I am now and thats a good thing!

Stay the course - and let us all help you with the journey! Welcome aboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa40 View Post
    Yes thank you tomi..i will be trying this also
    Tomi, I spent the weekend reading this thread (stumbled on it while checking out the MDA site on various threads) and I, too, say thank you for providing a "safe" place for "women of a certain age" to post their trials, errors, frustrations and victories.

I think I'm on the other side of the hills from you - Redmond...?

Quote Originally Posted by Meegads View Post
    Six years ago, I was pushing 200lbs - the heaviest I have EVER been. I began having problems with acid reflux, sleep apnea, joint pain, and insomnia, just to name a few; three years ago, I finally decided to do something about it. Through daily walking and a low-carb, high-protein diet, I lost 40lbs. I immediately went out and celebrated by eating carbs again and putting 15lbs of that back on. *sigh* This time, I'm gonna stick with it!! *shakes fist* I would like to get back down to 130 or so, though of course I am more concerned with inches than with actual "weight" loss. Bring on the muscle, baby! I can't wait for this nasty weather to clear up so I can start walking again - I live in the middle of nowhere, so going to the gym is not really feasible. I need the kids to hurry up and grow up and move out, so I can put in a treadmill and weight room...LOL
    Meegads ~ great job on the weight loss and working on the healthy path. And I agree that Bonanza is a little off the beaten path. : P

AFM: I'm 45, 5'3.5" (that half inch makes a big deal you know). I had gastric bypass 10.01.01 and was at my heaviest weight that day - 304. I lost 140 pounds in 18 months. Over the next 8 or so years I gained 40 of that back. In February, 2011, I started hcg. I did four rounds and lost 60 net pounds. One of the many things I learned on my hcg journey is that I need to have a good maintenance for life plan because the "just eating healthy" isn't going to do it (hence the "net loss of 60 pounds" - know what I mean?) My LDW (if there are any hcg-ers on here) or "finish" weight was 147. There were a lot of people on my hcg thread who were doing the Kruse leptin reset. I started eating LR timing during the last four weeks of my final round of hcg and then have done another 5 weeks full LR. I was intending to continue on with Kruse but he just got more and more random, which got me searching for something along the same eating program, just more grounded.

I now fluctuate from 147 to 151 and would like to move that zone down five pounds. I've been eating ~90g protein, < 50g carbs and lord-only-knows how much fat (I believe I mentioned four rounds of hcg which is NO FAT whatsoever so I've made up for all four of those rounds since I finished round four on March 1st. I LOVE butter and CO!!!)

Anyway, I have really enjoyed reading this thread and would like to hang here and learn from you all, if that's ok... : )
    lessofkate

Age: 45 | Height: 5' 3.5" | Build: Medium | Weight: 147 | BMI 25.6

Heaviest Weight: 304 (10.01.01) | Goal Weight: 145

Lifetime Goal: To maintain my weight in a manner so that food becomes a non-issue in my life.

"Loves not someplace that we fall, it's something that we do." Clint Black

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Anyone else anxious to read the latest greatest success story on Friday - and feel so good for that person - and then think - sheesh - I'm doing everything right and I'm not seeing those kinds of results!
    Yes, I think that quite often. There's one success story with a headline like "the pounds just melted away" or something like that. But I did the math. It took her a year. But still, most of the success stories that feature weight loss get to a much more attractive weight than I do. I am starting to think I will always look somewhat like a linebacker.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Oh, Ladies........ Monday morning again - thats always my day to re-assess and start fresh again. If I minus the alcohol that I had over the weekend, all in all it was a pretty successful few days. We worked in the yard all weekend, doing some spring clean-up and putting up some tree trunks for a pergola we are building. Yes, I did say tree trunks. The posts of the pergola are 10 foot logs that have been stripped of their bark. Its going to look awesome! We dug holes and set 6 logs upright and secured them - concrete will be poured next weekend - weather permitting. So, I worked hard, but didn't walk or bike at all.

Its fun to come to this thread and see the new ladies joining in on the conversation! Welcome ALL! I noticed on the forum page that our thread now has 5 stars next to the title - anyone know what that means?

There's a little barely-visible link to rate this thread near the top of all the replies.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Oh I see it......... I still haven't found all the little secrets about using this site.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to start a challenge? Any good ideas? Any particular hurdles you want to jump? Lets have it.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Hello ladies!

Thought I'd better stop in hear and confess my sinful easter egg eating over the weekend. Only two small marshmellow filled eggs, and one of those caramel filled ones. One hot cross bun eaten on Thursday also, as I handmade two batches for the residents at the retirement village where I work - all that hard work needed to be rewarded! How did the rest of you go?

I think I did pretty well considering! We've got a pantry full of chocolate now though (gifts) so I might have to do a spot of re-gifting to clear it all.

My cold has finally departed and so has the insomnia, so I'm feeling a bit better about things this week. Still no weight loss at all though, and I did cut out the nuts since last wednesday. So frustrating, but at least I havn't gained anything.

Lex26 - glad I'm not the only one who wonders about the carb curve and IF. I feel quite let down by the PB 21 day book, because it goes on about how you won't have to go around 'counting' your food and becoming obsessed, yet this is what the carb curve and IF says to me?

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    Oh I see it......... I still haven't found all the little secrets about using this site.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to start a challenge? Any good ideas? Any particular hurdles you want to jump? Lets have it.
    I need to get in the excercise habit. Started 80x3 today and did quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Lex26 - glad I'm not the only one who wonders about the carb curve and IF. I feel quite let down by the PB 21 day book, because it goes on about how you won't have to go around 'counting' your food and becoming obsessed, yet this is what the carb curve and IF says to me?
    I think you only really have to track your food for like a week or so. Then you kinda see the patterns and can wing it. Then once in a while do a little check to make sure you are still on track. No need to count every day forever.

For IF what I do is if I'm not hungry at breakfast, I pack my breakfast in a thermos and save it for lunch. If I can wait until 11pm that makes for a 16 hour fast, and if I can wait longer, then it's a longer fast. If I can't wait at all, oh well! Totally low key, low stress.

lessofkate is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedidoc View Post
    I need to get in the exercise habit. Started 80x3 today and did quite well.
    I started the 80x3 today, too. Only since I haven't been tracking for a while (except for keeping my carbs really low) I wanted to see what my current eating looked like on fitday...scary! 157g fat / 54 carbs / 84 protein for 1943 calories. So tomorrow will be my first official attempt at the 80x3.

Also working on incorporating more exercise.
    lessofkate

Age: 45 | Height: 5' 3.5" | Build: Medium | Weight: 147 | BMI 25.6

Heaviest Weight: 304 (10.01.01) | Goal Weight: 145

Lifetime Goal: To maintain my weight in a manner so that food becomes a non-issue in my life.

"Loves not someplace that we fall, it's something that we do." Clint Black