Page 3 of 183 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 3

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Most of it does, but I've given up asking for info or even consideration of the hormonal chaos and how it affects metabolism. And yeah, the "dude bros" do my head in. Ahhh for the good old days...

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm 27, a steady 12-14lbs overweight, diagnosed pcos, been around far too long to mention. Pretty sure my problem(s) are psychological, psychosomatic, hormonal....I've not lost a lb, but my cycle is somewhat regular (after being non existent). I have tried higher carb, low carb, carnivore... I barely have energy for my job never mind crossfit however my job involves a fair bit of walking and heavy lifting. Oooo I did lose 5lb on an "egg fast" - go find "dirtycarnivore" website for reasoning etc - but my skin went to pot, and the weight came back.

At the minute I'm in a f*ck this phase, and going more for the pointy-stick concept. In other words, if it can be caught, or grown in my garden, then fine.

If I "cheat" I get a full whammy of pcos symptoms including a kind of depression...which then leads me to think the whole thing is pointless so why not eat cake

Haha I'm a cheerful soul really!

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I'm thinking two things along these lines.

There is scientific evidence that women metabolize alcohol differently from men, and usually it is stored in adipose fat (if i'm remembeiring correctly), so essentially it "makes you fat" (vague over simplificatiton). But, it will definitely derail the diet.

Next, i think that when a cheat coincides with a TOM, the "cheat" becomes the "two week habit" until the hormones flip and *bam* no longer interested in that cheat. This is what I observed in myself at least. Here was my process:

Cheat: Friend brings in tacos with white tortillas; I love tacos! I eat tacos!
    Cheat step 2: TACOS! I CRAVE TACOS!
    Cheat step 3: MUST EAT TACOS.
    Cheat step 4: WANT TACOS, will not eat due to PB!
    Cheat step 5: WANT WANT WANT TACOS -- eat PB BAS with taco flavors. Body tells you to go to hell you dirty liar as those were not TACOS and I DEMAND TACOS.
    Cheat step 6: TACOS! TACOS TACOS TACOS TACOS.
    Cheat step 7. Menstruation begins. TACOS WOMAN! TACOS!
    Cheat step 8-11: MUST EAT ALL OF THE WORLD"S TACOS.
    Day 12. What are you talking about? tacos are disgusting.

Now, if my friend brought me tacos at any point during the estrogen phase, I'd be like "no thanks." or I'd be able to have one and move on with my life. Yay! 20% PB is easy.

But if i'm post ovulation, forget it. MUST EAT ALL TACOS.
    omg this is me EXACTLY every month! I am still trying to figure out how to handle it!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

katiedid is offline Junior Member
    i'm 30 and 5'8'', no health issues, no meds. I started primal in June and weighed 195. Now, it's December and I'm still weighing in at 190! I started Crossfit two months ago, and have definitley lost inches, and have gone down one size. People have commented to me how I look like I've lost weight, but since it's only 5 lbs, it's somewhat depressing.

I know I can't be concerned about the scale... but 190? I totally understand hovering around the 150-160 range. But you'd think that since I have so much to lose, that I would have lost a little more by now.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience? I track my food for historical purposes, not to limit any certain intake... so I know I'm averaging about 1600-1700 calories and about 75 carbs on a daily basis. I eat over 100g protein daily. My ratios seem spot on. I DO have the occasional 1000 calorie day where I IF through dinner and the occasional 2000+ day where I have sweet potatoes, etc...

I'm wondering if I need to look at calorie restriction as a way to get some of the weight off? I'm pretty strong and muscular (underneath all this fat!), so my ideal weight is about 155. I KNOW I will get there... my question is, how long will it take? UGH!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    omg this is me EXACTLY every month! I am still trying to figure out how to handle it!
    The way that I do it is follow my fertility cycle. No "cheats" between ovulation and menstruation, but I do increase my calories during this time so that i feel satiated. The problem is that when i kept the same caloric intake in before ovulation and after ovulation, i was starving and craving during the ovulation-to-menstration phase.

Once I am post-ovulation, I go stricter into my diet (no "cheats"), but I make sure that I"m never hungry. I don't IF. I eat more fruit (because i like sweets), or i'll have sweet potato "fries" with salt and malt vinegar and probably butter.

The caloric increase isn't much 100 calories usually per day, with a max of 200 calories. So my usual day is about 1600 calories, and heading into menses, it may go as high as 1800 on a really hungry day which is usually the day before menstruation.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Cheat: Friend brings in tacos with white tortillas; I love tacos! I eat tacos!
    Cheat step 2: TACOS! I CRAVE TACOS!
    Cheat step 3: MUST EAT TACOS.
    Cheat step 4: WANT TACOS, will not eat due to PB!
    Cheat step 5: WANT WANT WANT TACOS -- eat PB BAS with taco flavors. Body tells you to go to hell you dirty liar as those were not TACOS and I DEMAND TACOS.
    Cheat step 6: TACOS! TACOS TACOS TACOS TACOS.
    Cheat step 7. Menstruation begins. TACOS WOMAN! TACOS!
    Cheat step 8-11: MUST EAT ALL OF THE WORLD"S TACOS.
    Day 12. What are you talking about? tacos are disgusting.
    Oh my god that is HILARIOUS!

Yesterday I drank 3 (small) glasses of wine at a party. I swear it makes parties so much better. I think I was playing my fiddle (I suck royally) so much better, too. Oh well, better luck today.

P.S. here is my sad story of weight loss so far. Lots at first, hardly any since. I swear my stomach got bigger between Nov 27 and Dec 4. My legs don't really show here, but I think my legs are getting thinner while the rest of me is doing nothing. There's like no hope for my arms it seems. Why is the weight loss on this diet so weird?
    Last edited by sbhikes; 12-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    Even for those of us who are past all of that crazy TOM phase of life, I still think that women's bodies hang onto a cheat item more than men's. It seems like guys can 80/20 more easily while ladies end up wearing any and all cheat food on their thighs or tummy.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    and, it doesn't help that we are exceptionally hard on ourselves for it, or that other people -- in general -- are very hard on us for it.

CaveDiva is offline Junior Member
    Hey, new around the boards I am 24, been battling some major health problems since I was a kid-- fibro and various mental illness which I am now convinced was a combo of nutritional deficency, medication side effects, and ptsd. I went primal about 5wks ago, and lost ~13lbs, mostly in the first two weeks.
    I'm not too worried about the slow weight loss (I am currently over 200lbs)-- I've been tapering off of all my meds, and am now officially med-free! I feel fantastic and empowered. My pain levels are a fraction of what they used to be, my mood disregulation is gone, my binge eating has stopped... overall my quality of life has improved 100-fold

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Most of it does, but I've given up asking for info or even consideration of the hormonal chaos and how it affects metabolism. And yeah, the "dude bros" do my head in. Ahhh for the good old days...

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm 27, a steady 12-14lbs overweight, diagnosed pcos, been around far too long to mention. Pretty sure my problem(s) are psychological, psychosomatic, hormonal....I've not lost a lb, but my cycle is somewhat regular (after being non existent). I have tried higher carb, low carb, carnivore... I barely have energy for my job never mind crossfit however my job involves a fair bit of walking and heavy lifting. Oooo I did lose 5lb on an "egg fast" - go find "dirtycarnivore" website for reasoning etc - but my skin went to pot, and the weight came back.

At the minute I'm in a f*ck this phase, and going more for the pointy-stick concept. In other words, if it can be caught, or grown in my garden, then fine.

If I "cheat" I get a full whammy of pcos symptoms including a kind of depression...which then leads me to think the whole thing is pointless so why not eat cake

Haha I'm a cheerful soul really!
    If your job involves a lot of exercise and movement, AND you do crossfit, perhaps you need a little MORE carbs to help your muscles recover?
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    zoebird, Mark posted a great recipe for primal-type taco meat. I eat it over shredded lettuce with picante and cheese, satisfies my cravings. Maybe this will help if you have taco issues in the future?

1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    tsp onion powder
    tsp garlic powder or minced garlic
    tsp dried oregano
    tsp paprika
    1 tsp salt
    tsp black pepper
    Combine together and cook into chicken or ground meat. Serve over shredded lettuce with cheese, tomatoes, onions, etc.

I don't understand trolling. It seems like a total waste of time to me, but I guess if that's what floats your boat...
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Page 3 of 183 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast