Page 29 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 29

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I don't want to diminish her results because they are fantastic, but breastfeeding does increase calorie needs which no doubt played a role in her weight loss efforts
    I don't think that is the case for everyone. For some women breastfeeding can reduce TSH production and reduce caloric requirements. I know several women who couldn't lose the baby weight until they stopped breastfeeding.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I don't think that is the case for everyone. For some women breastfeeding can reduce TSH production and reduce caloric requirements. I know several women who couldn't lose the baby weight until they stopped breastfeeding.
    I breastfed twins for a year. I didn't lose the baby weight for 18+ years. Looking back, I believe my thyroid problems began around the time of their birth. I wasn't diagnosed for another 10 years and then spent 8 years undermedicated.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I breastfed twins for a year. I didn't lose the baby weight for 18+ years. Looking back, I believe my thyroid problems began around the time of their birth. I wasn't diagnosed for another 10 years and then spent 8 years undermedicated.
    Do you have hashimotos thyroidititis? I believe pregnancy is a common "trigger".
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Do you have hashimotos thyroidititis? I believe pregnancy is a common "trigger".
    Doctor said no- a few TgAb antibodies once, no TPOab. But a sister was also told no. She had half of her thyroid removed and the biopsy said yes.

I've been told that, upon palpitation, my thyroid is small, atrophied. Based on my thyroid and my sister's biopsy, my feeling is it's more likely than not.

Also, 5 out of 6 sisters have thyroid issues. All of the five had our gallbladder removed before thyroid issues arose. The sister with her gallbladder and no signs of thyroid issues (she says) has Crohn's. Screams autoimmune issues to me.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I don't want to diminish her results because they are fantastic, but breastfeeding does increase calorie needs which no doubt played a role in her weight loss efforts
    It does increase calorie needs but doesn't always lead to weight loss. I've been breastfeeding 7 years with a small break between kids and my body just refuses to to release the fat until my milk dries up.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    It does increase calorie needs but doesn't always lead to weight loss. I've been breastfeeding 7 years with a small break between kids and my body just refuses to to release the fat until my milk dries up.
    This may be true, however it clearly wasn't an issue for today's success story as she did lose weight as she breastfed.

I know that my sister and my sister in law both experienced a diminished milk supply if/when they tried to lose weight while breast feeding. I'm not ignoring the fact that not all women can lose weight easier/quicker while breast feeding, but some can and today's success story may be one of those women who can.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    The Schwarzbein Principle II: The Transition, but only because it was the only one in our library. I would have liked to read her first book because the reviews on Amazon were so amazing.
    Thank you, thank you for pointing me to this book! I just got it this week for $4 on Amazon and it makes so much sense. There are four categories of people and I believe I fit the insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenal type perfectly. I've learned a lot of great things on this website, but it looks like this doctor has a more specific and beneficial approach for people in different health conditions.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Meegads is offline Senior Member
    Here we are, Day 6 of being strictly PB - no refined sugar, no grains, and - the HARDEST thing so far - no diet soda! I thought the withdrawals were gonna kill me! But I see light at the end of the tunnel - no headaches or cramps for two days. Woohoo! I have become addicted to goat cheese and cauliflower. (Not necessarily eaten together - just those two foods, LOL) Also developing a taste for greek yogurt and - of all things - poached eggs! I've never been much of an egg person, but there's something about a nice, soft poached egg with a little wasabi that makes me very happy. I'm getting a pretty good sense of what my body needs, and am slowly beginning to learn to listen to my cravings. (Within reason, of course - I took a wrong turn down the baking aisle while looking for coconut oil the other day, and the brownies were calling my name! But I perservered. Yay me. ) Speaking of coconut oil, it is a GODSEND. I don't know how I ever got along without it. I got some unsweetened coconut and some almond flour, and I am going to attempt coconut shrimp soon - probably not tomorrow, being Easter and all, but soon! I love to cook, so I'm really enjoying getting my hands dirty in the kitchen and developing new recipes. So far, I think the jerk-spiced tilapia with mango salsa has been my favorite creation. SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD....
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jodis is offline Member
    I have FOUR books by Diana Schwarzbein out from the library. One is a cookbook, and I'll be taking some recipes out of that one, though I've barely looked at it so far.

The other three .... confusing! Repetitive! Admittedly, I've been trying to get the gist of things without necessarily waiting for the whys, and I have to go back and read straight through.

BUT, she allows grains (just not the big gluten ones, such as wheat, rye, barley. Also no soy, as far as I can tell so far), including oats, but other stuff like buckwheat, amaranth, millet, etc. Corn & corn products (such as tortillas) are on her list of acceptable carbohydrates (although at modest amounts). In some places (most), she's advocating whole milk products (such as yogurt and cottage cheese); elsewhere, it's SKIMMED milk yogurt and cottage cheese (just examples). I've yet to figure out under what circumstances you want the low fat, because apparently there are some people for whom she's advocating low saturated fat (there is also note of avoiding things like red meat, bacon, ALL sausages; and this comes right after a chapter indicating you can have processed meats like sausage as long as they're nitrite/nitrate free and made with natural ingredients rather than bunches of additives).

She also advocates using canola oil and cottonseed oil, both of which are crops that are heavily pesticided in growing. Even eating cottonseed. Cottonseed oil is hugely popular in highly processed foods too. No thanks. And there are other things, and thats just from spending about an hour looking over the books. Noting those things, I have no intention of trying to dissuade anyone from reading her books -- I think there may be valuable information in them. I'm just saying, be on the look out for discrepancies, keep your thinking cap on, and possibly take notes of what you find puzzling and conflicting. Maybe you (or I) will find them dispelled after reading every single word in the books.

The most detailed (and thus the most confusing, plus it seems to have organizational deficiencies) is the "middle" book -- The Schwarzbein Principle II: The Transition. I'm trying to read this one first.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    From what I have heard she has changed her views slightly too since writing the first book. I read somewhere that her first book is more low carb and she increases carbs more now. I think the low saturated fat is for the type insulin resistant/low adrenals, and this is only in the healing phase. She says you can go back to saturated fat when you are healed. I seem to recall that she said the body can't cope so much with saturated fat when the adrenals are not functioning well. Remember that Mark's programme is aimed at someone with a fairly normal metabolism, hers is for people who have poor functioning metabolism. The healing phase is different to the healthy phase.

And let's face it, she is not Paleo, but I feel that you could follow most of her instructions while remaining PB.