Page 22 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 22

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I honestly have no desire to stop drinking coffee. I really love the taste. Sweet or unsweet. Cream or black. My one big treat on Saturday is a cup of coffee with cream and a Tbs of honey. Yum.

I get weird looks at work because we have a fabulous espresso machine, and I always select the decaf after noon. "What's the point???" they say. The point is: I like the taste. Also, I don't drink soda. I really only drink water (still and sparkling) and coffee and caffeine-free tea in the evenings. So for me, that afternoon decaf espresso is all about something warm and bitter and not water.

vanessa40 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Whatever you say, champ. *ignore*
    I just pass over his post without giving them a second look
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive Is Canine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94923.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SW~220
    CW~136
    GW-125

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Here's a great blog/article that my friend passed on today, which links a study that asserts women might do best to have 22-26% body fat to maintain healthy fertility. Very good read!

Might get us to rethink certain ideas about leanness and women.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa40 View Post
    Good Morning,

I am so happy to have found this thread. I just started yesterday and am still finding my way around. I love the book so far but the forum has been more helpful.

I am 46 and I have to say this past year has been my worst. Two years ago I was at 120. Since then I have been on an upward climb. It is mostly in my tummy and hips. I am 5'2 so I would be happy at 125 but I fear I will never see that number again.

I love to run. I have ran two half- marathons and a ton of 5-10ks but do to injuries I only run at the most 6 miles. I lift weights 3 x a week. Now it's mostly body weight exercise and things with my Bosu.

I have read to about page 4 so far but I wanted to post and say hi before going to the store. I started a journal here too. I need the accountability. I hope to make lots of new friends here since nobody I know would ever eat like this....lol

Be back later..You all have a wonderful day
    Welcome, Venassa40! and congratulations on your choice to go primal! We're all here to help and support so come back often and join in on the conversation!
    Tomi

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    It's best to take coffee out of the picture because of a lot of people struggling to lose weight have adrenal fatigue. The adrenals are only hurt more and more by caffeine. It does suck to peal yourself from it, but some people have to concentrate on healing that problem before they have luck getting down to their goal weight. I've done primal/paleo for months now. When I just changed my diet, I lost 30 pounds. Then I stalled and started calorie counting, messing with different macronutrients, getting more regular with sprinting, and weight training all for zero weight loss. It just perplexes me that I could change my lifestyle that much and not budge on the scale at all. Looking back at several overnighters, consistently tough deadlines and negative way of thinking - as well as some very classic symptoms - I'm pretty sure I have adrenal fatigue. I've already moved away from the caffeine but I've mostly recently realized I HAVE to take stress management more seriously for the sake of healing my adrenals/fixing cortisol issues. I really wanted to think of that part as optional, but I feel cornered now into admitting I'm not going to get anywhere with more improved health/weight loss until I take stress management more seriously.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Hi onalark. I've gone on and coffee a million times, for various reasons. I can drink coffee, in small amounts, when I add coconut milk and coconut oil with out problem. The coconut fats seem to keep the blood sugar issues at bay. But the half-n-half I normally use exacerbates what coffee does. Either way, I know for my body that coffee made the way I like it (with half-n-half) causes a host of symptoms that are not good: increased heart rate, change in blood sugar that creates an insatiable hunger (only fixed by eating protein), irritability, sour stomach, and other things I can't think of now. Somehow even though I've known for over a year that coffee causes all this, I've had a terrible time trying to give it up. I love, love the flavor of coffee with cream & sugar.

It took me a long time to realize that coffee and sugar do this to me. Either one, whether together or seperate, but coffee's the worst. It's odd because I only started having these symptoms after my 3rd child was born, my body chemistry changed.

I can totally deal with the coffee when it has the coconut in it, but I don't enjoy it. So basically if I don't enjoy it, whats the point.

I also tried the Teeccino, and didn't enjoy it. I am slowly cutting back on coffee this week.I have a bad cold, and don't want to add coffee withdrawal symptoms to it.

I'm going to switch to green tea, which I enjoy a little even unsweetened.

Good luck TTC!!! That's awesome!!! Yes, giving up coffee is hard. For some reason everytime I was pregnant when I found out, and then stopped coffee, I didn't get the headaches like I did when I wasn't pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Why are you giving up coffee? Because you think it's causing blood sugar issues?

I drink 12 oz in the morning. If I feel like more, I have decaf. I don't drink coffee after noon.

I've tried coffee substitutes, but they mostly suck. Teeccino is drinkable -- I have it in the evenings before bed with some stevia and a splash of cream.

I'm going to start on half-caff in the next few weeks, since we're going to be TTC in late April, and I'd like to start working on lowering my caffeine intake now rather than later. I don't think I can take myself off it, though. Too many headaches.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Hi fiercehunter. Thanks. I'll take a look at that video. I've seen the Bullet Proof Execs site. I haven't followed his advice much on the supplements, mostly because I can't really afford to buy any new stuff. I tried the bulletproof coffee he sells though, and I didn't enjoy it.

That's great that you've been able to keep working on being primal for 10 years. I think my stumbling blocks are sugar and coffee. Whenever I slip and have some of either, I totally fail.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyrunmommy View Post
    Good luck TTC!!! That's awesome!!! Yes, giving up coffee is hard. For some reason everytime I was pregnant when I found out, and then stopped coffee, I didn't get the headaches like I did when I wasn't pregnant.
    Yeah, we're excited and optimistic, and I'm trying to do everything in my power to keep it uneventful. Day two of half-caff. So far, so good.

vanessa40 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Welcome, Venassa40! and congratulations on your choice to go primal! We're all here to help and support so come back often and join in on the conversation!
    Tomi
    Thank you so much for the welcome Tomi..
    This site is so friendly and helpful..

I have never been a big coffee fan but i do love hot chocolate i will have to either make my own or give it up since the kind i buy is loaded with sugar and Lord know what else..
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive Is Canine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94923.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SW~220
    CW~136
    GW-125

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Here's a great blog/article that my friend passed on today, which links a study that asserts women might do best to have 22-26% body fat to maintain healthy fertility. Very good read!

Might get us to rethink certain ideas about leanness and women.
    I couldn't agree more!

Back when I first started this whole thing, I figured I wanted to weigh about 140. When I hit about 145, I realized that I was right about where I wanted to be. But the scale said I was 26-27%, and I was supposed to be at 22% at the most!

But I'm 47, and the amount of effort it would have taken to get to 22% was just plain not worth it. I looked good, The Boyfriend was obviously pleased and I felt good. So I just changed my outlook to being happy with what I had.

In the mean time, I've added on about 10 pounds that I'm NOT happy with (see the doc tomorrow for a neurologist referral). But I still will never want to be skinny and my body obviously doesn't want me to be that way either.

If someone is that way naturally, more power to them. But it's not for me. Or The Boyfriend. Just not how I'm made.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com