Page 20 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 20

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For my carb load when I did UD2.0 - and that's an extreme example of a carb load of 500-600 g carbs with <10% fat, I did 3 kilos of white potatoes with 200 g of steamed shrimp and 4 egg whites. I would boil the pot of potatoes in the morning, then peel and mush potato with boiled water and micro with dill & pepper flakes or I eat it cold with vinegar and dill. If you are using fit day be warned that by whatever reason they have fat added to boiled potatoes, so the entry is incorrect.

Whenever you are short on carb/calories, a few boiled potatoes are a good way to boost both up.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-16-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The ONLY other thing I can think of is that I was on a low-dose (LoSeasonique) BCP for the first 6 weeks of Paleo. Before that I'd been on a regular dose one, and I gave up on the low-dose after those 6 weeks because of nearly constant bleeding and went back to regular dose. So maybe it is hormonal?? That's all I can think of, because I'm certainly not eating more than I was those first 6 weeks ...
    This exact thing happened to me when I went from a BCP I had for years for normal monthly cycle to Seasonale. I suddenly was gaining weight and nothing was helping. That is when i abandoned CW with extreme high carb, low fat and huge cal restrictions, stopped high-intensity bootcamps and cardio workouts and started the clean diet (not paleo, but with higher fat, and no processed grains, just real whole grains) and did a lot of landscaping (i.e. low intensity). That stopped the weight creep, and I was able to lose a couple of pounds. But to lose further... long story. But I did stuck with Seasonale, despite endless spotting in the first 6 months.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely not the perfect model for anyone to follow (I've got weird issues - can't even begin to tell you) but I know I feel SO much better when I up my carb intake. Cutting carbs works great for a while, but it's really not meant to be long term. I ended up craving crap sugary food, but now that I'm eating more good carbs, I don't desperately need them like I did when I was low carb.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...ONT3-15-12.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...IDE3-15-12.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28...ACK3-15-12.jpg

Has anyone, ANYONE, had any luck slimming down their midsection? I am just at my wit's end. I'm going to do alternate day fasting for the next month and increase my sprints to 2x/week to see if it helps any.

Just feeling really glum.
    I hear ya! All I can say is screw 'em (to the vegan yoga girls.) and you've got a better waist than me, that's for sure.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Hey Girls....... I've been on vacation - RVing in Washington State with my adorable husband. I've had my laptop and internet access but have been staying away from the computer as much as possible. I've tried to stay mealtime primal - but have been "indulging" on peanut butter cookies, and m&m's........... the gut is suffering for it. Stupid choices usually result in painful results.

We're going back home tomorrow and back to reality. Then its back to strict primal/clean eating. My doctor informed me last week that between my cholesterol numbers and CRP I'm at a high risk for a heart attack. She says I have to get those numbers down and I have to lose a lot of weight. I need to take off 50 pounds. So - I'll be seeking your help and support.

This is the best way to reach my goals - to stay clean and healthy and to keep up the walking/hiking and biking. I'm glad you're all here, girls!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm definitely not the perfect model for anyone to follow (I've got weird issues - can't even begin to tell you) but I know I feel SO much better when I up my carb intake. Cutting carbs works great for a while, but it's really not meant to be long term. I ended up craving crap sugary food, but now that I'm eating more good carbs, I don't desperately need them like I did when I was low carb.
    @tomi - keep it up - especially the regular exercise! I see too many girls on here finicking with food and diet and not enough with their exercise routine. Think about that! Isn't that a huge difference between men and women on here?

@RitaRose - Totally agree. I'm still feeling around for the right weight-loss zone. But what happened with me is I went VLC (around 30 carbs a day) and that helped get cravings under control for a while and even out energy levels. Then I started exercising more regularly and eating more protein and fat just wasn't doing it for me. I felt my energy levels going down. Then I started eating more carbs like carrots and more tomatoes and I felt a lot better. This last month I think I went a little too far with my carb exploration by eating one too many fruit snacks and a cheat here and there. So now I'm back on VLC until I feel like I need to slowly add more carbs. Once I'm evened out, I think 50-60 carbs a day will do it. Overall, I'm depending on controlling my calorie count, not my carb count. Going on VLC helped me lose 30 pounds, but nuttin beyond that. I was even doing 15 carbs a day at one point and saw zero difference on the weight scale. Controlling carb intake is all about managing a healthy blood sugar level I think, because once you have that, you don't have erratic cravings or energy levels and that helps you stay in control.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex26 View Post
    I'm still feeling around for the right weight-loss zone. But what happened with me is I went VLC (around 30 carbs a day) and that helped get cravings under control for a while and even out energy levels. Then I started exercising more regularly and eating more protein and fat just wasn't doing it for me. I felt my energy levels going down. Then I started eating more carbs like carrots and more tomatoes and I felt a lot better. This last month I think I went a little too far with my carb exploration by eating one too many fruit snacks and a cheat here and there.
    Same here. There's definitely a sweet spot, and that's what I'm looking for now.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Okay, this has me mystified. The scale hasn't moved but my clothes are definitely looser. But when I measure my waist it's unchanged.

Another thing is I do try to manipulate my exercise. Mostly I've tried exercising less so as not to overtrain. I think it helped for a while, but I hate getting sore any time I do something extra strenuous and it feels like exercising less has led me to lose a little strength for my more strenuous activities. So I've decided to add running a couple times a week and now I'm sore all the time, even doing stuff I normally do.

I give up trying to figure anything out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Okay, this has me mystified. The scale hasn't moved but my clothes are definitely looser. But when I measure my waist it's unchanged.

Another thing is I do try to manipulate my exercise. Mostly I've tried exercising less so as not to overtrain. I think it helped for a while, but I hate getting sore any time I do something extra strenuous and it feels like exercising less has led me to lose a little strength for my more strenuous activities. So I've decided to add running a couple times a week and now I'm sore all the time, even doing stuff I normally do.

I give up trying to figure anything out.
    I'm the same - this indicates we are losing fat while gaining an equal amount of muscle by mass (as muscle is denser than fat).

My waist has stayed the same while losing around the last 7-9 lbs. That's because I only started doing abs exercises from around that point, so I've gained muscle in that area. Prior to that I was seeing a steady loss of inches from my waist.

It's frustrating not to have an independent measure to confirm progress, either way, apart from how well clothes fit.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-25-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Jodis is offline Member

Question

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your pictures are just giving me the dreaded little red X boses, Mar55An4.

Hello ladies. I am fairly new to Primal Eating, though I did "Protein Power" about ten years ago. I was "dieting" then, not changing my lifestyle, and I got bored with it and fell off the wagon -- for ten years! I've been reading this thread since I started checking out this forum at the end of January. I'm 59, post-menopausal, and more than 100# overweight.

Currently, my main goal is to get off my medications for high BP and ankle edema (probably insufficient vein valves, probably hereditary, but I think I can at least improve the situation), and avoid going on metformin (or even insulin eventually). Weight loss is a combo of side benefit and an actual health goal. I can't think of much else that will help the veins and subsequent ankle edema. Well, exercise, but sadly, instead of the use of calf muscles to help pump lymphedema out, my ankles seem to get a bit MORE swollen with exercise (or show no difference at best). At least that is the case now. It may improve/change as I progress further. I hope.

That's just by way of background. I'm posting today about a phenomena that I've noticed before (since I started converting to this lifestyle in January). I need to see if it recurs more times before I'm willing to say that this is generally true (for me, anyway).

I've had a couple of days where I've been extra-hungry; the food doesn't seem to "last" as long and I DO get hungry. I ate some primal snacks (no consistency of times or snacks over the two days and frankly, I can't remember it all right now), felt a bit discouraged, but soldiered on ... This morning I weighed myself and got a weight drop, instead of the usual steady or minor fluctuation in weight. It's not huge, just 1.5 lb., but I suddenly remembered that there had been other times when I felt especially hungry and then in a day or two, I'd drop some more weight.

I know a lot of women lose weight in small plateaus interspersed with weight drops. What I am curious about is whether anyone else notices weight drops in a day or two after "hungry days"? And it is mostly just curiosity. I am trying to notice as much as I can going on with hunger, mood, etc.

I had a raging (for me) case of jet-lag, having returned from Hawaii a week ago, and having more ankle edema (plane flights always have made my legs swell), but that seems to be passing, so perhaps this one can be attributed to "only" water loss. *shrug* I'm fine with that -- I have too much fluid in my ankles, so it can leave any old time now.