Page 2 of 183 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I thought it seemed like there were a lot of women here!

Some of the men can come off as know-it-alls, especially if they are younger. They seem to think because it's so easy for them, we women have to be lacking discipline.

I'm 46, somewhere around 150lbs but have no idea really, 5'3". I hike a lot. I really like it. It's good for combating nature deficit disorder. I try to get out in nature every day, even if it's just a little walk around campus or on the beach. Today the tide was the lowest I've ever seen it so I walked on the beach looking for shells and rocks.

I've been doing the low-carb version of this (using the guidelines from archevore.com or Protein Power or Andreas Eenfeldt's dietdoctor.com website). I realize it's not exactly the primal blueprint, but it sure seems to me they're all saying basically the same thing. Stay under the carb curve. Eat real food. No grains, no seed oils, etc. Even when I've poked around Mark's blog posts he consistently seems to recommend a low-carb approach. People on the forums here seem to think otherwise. I haven't read his book so I'm not sure. Anyway, low carb works for me even if it doesn't seem to give me the stellar effortless amazing weight loss I'd hoped for.

I really wish wine worked better with this diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Some of the men can come off as know-it-alls, especially if they are younger. They seem to think because it's so easy for them, we women have to be lacking discipline.

I've been doing the low-carb version of this (using the guidelines from archevore.com or Protein Power or Andreas Eenfeldt's dietdoctor.com website). I realize it's not exactly the primal blueprint, but it sure seems to me they're all saying basically the same thing. Stay under the carb curve. Eat real food. No grains, no seed oils, etc. Even when I've poked around Mark's blog posts he consistently seems to recommend a low-carb approach. People on the forums here seem to think otherwise. I haven't read his book so I'm not sure. Anyway, low carb works for me even if it doesn't seem to give me the stellar effortless amazing weight loss I'd hoped for.

I really wish wine worked better with this diet.
    Hehehehehe.... You noticed that too. Twenty something bodybuilders telling a post menopausal woman just what she ought to do is not very helpful.

I really respect Kurt Harris at the Archevore site. His way of putting things makes a lot of sense to me.

re wine, you and me both, sister. To lose the last 5-10 lbs, I had to cork it completely. Hopefully if I maintain here long enough then I will be able to indulge without blowing it but I'm not there yet.

That's another thing. I think men's bodies deal differently with a cheat item than women's. Not as much of a derailment for them.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Some of the men can come off as know-it-alls, especially if they are younger.
    Really, you think, lol? There are some really great guys on this forum, really helpful, but the assholes tend to behave like what they are. Very consistently and very, very tenaciously. They give the good guys a bad name.

I just turned 40, 5'2" and between 130 and 135#, depending on the TOM. I went primal in March, and I'm loving how it makes me feel. I don't know what my body fat was when I started, but it's around 18% now, a figure I'm happy with. At least for now.

I don't consciously low carb, although my average carb intake is always much lower than the typical SAD. I think it's just part of this WOL. If you don't eat grains or sugar, and fill up on protein and veggies, I don't see a way you can eat a ton of carbs, unless you eat fruit all the time. Or drink wine, lol. I love wine, but my husband doesn't; I don't see the sense of buying an entire bottle just for me, so I only drink it infrequently. Probably good for keeping my carbs down, lol.

I've been criticized ad nauseum on this forum for belonging to a gym. Some (childless, probably in their early 20's) guys do not seem to understand that, when you have small children to care for, you can't just put them on a leash and go for a hike. Caring for my daughters is my job right now, so if I need a gym with daycare to fit a workout into my day, it's better that than not working out. I have no idea why what I spend my money on is any of their business, anyway, but I guess if they're really all that concerned about my finances, I wish they'd help me balance my checkbook.

I think having an all-chick thread is a great idea. Those who don't like the idea don't have to post here, and everyone should be happy.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Age 46, right around 145 lbs at 5'6". I'd probably weigh about 5 pounds less if I didn't have a chronic cardio job and a love for Roberto's rolled chicken tacos. At least they're smothered in real guacamole. But anyway...

I've been eating this way since May and I feel SO much better. I've learned a lot too, which is always good. Migraines are virtually gone, sleep is better, gut is smaller and Boyfriend is happer (probably because of the other 3 things).

I'm definitely not perfect, and I eat some crap that I shouldn't. Hey, the way I see it, I'd be really annoying if I WAS perfect, so... you're welcome!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

biancaaa is offline Member
    Hi, Im Bianca. 21 year old female in university. I just started the PB lifestyle about a week or so ago. I am addicted to chocolate -plain and simple, this has been my only problem so far. Alcohol for me is also an issue, right now it is exam time but with the holidays coming up, and reunion with friends, I see my alcocohol intake being a huge problem.

When I returned to school in the fall I had recently discovered a gluten intolerance so I cut it out (but did cheat a little too often) cutting this completely really wasn't too hard. I do love my oatmeal though, so this has been a little challenging as I am such a starchy carb kind of girl.

Shortly after I started school again I did a lot of chronic cardio and strength training, and then... my recurring bingeing began. I could not control myself - I'd gorge on just about anything and would feel so ashamed. I gained weight from 135 to 145-140 within a month or two. Since being primal my binging has stopped which I am SO happy about since there are no more crying fits anymore BUT I have really noticed my weight gain and I am so embarrassed by it - that is my daily struggle.

Before starting the PB I was a reletively healthy eater - avoided most processed foods etc. However, I did have a lot of vegan meals which included beans. brown rice bread, Quinoa, fruit, veggies, tofu etc. and I also avoided high fat meats and dairy (CW successfully doing its job to brainwash people!)

So far my energy has been through the roof, I am not hungry as much at all. I barely snack on anything which is HUGE for me since I was the type of person to just pick at things all day. I was anemic taking 3 pills everyday and now I no longer am worrying about my iron levels - so far so good!

Sorry for the novel!

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedpot View Post
    I have had the best results with IF daily, increasing my protein and lifting weights. I didn't start with the IF daily till I was set in my primal lifestyle.
    Hi Crackedpot. How did you get started with IF? I'm toying with the idea, as it's clear I'm going to have to cut my calories to lose weight. I'd love to hear your story - I'm 48, postmenopausal, and just getting started with bodyweight exercises. I've got about 40lb to lose.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Jac - This is the form of intermittent fasting I do, and I IF more than I don't. Fast Five When I first started, I did it nearly every day. I'd just extend the time before my first meal by a little more each day. For example, if I could make it to 11:00 without eating on Monday, I'd wait 15 minutes longer to eat on Tuesday, and so on.

I think IFing helps me with my leptin issues, though it is incredibly easy for me to get tempted and be thrown off track. I think it's a personality flaw or something, but if I can be tempted to eat something before 3:00pm, I absolutely cannot stick to the 5 hour window. It shouldn't make a difference to my body whether I feed it between 3:00 and 8:00 or between 2:00 and 7:00, but it somehow does for me.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    That's a great site! Thanks for posting it SR. I follow the Perfect Health Diet mostly - I find I need the carbs to feel energetic and manage my IBS, but there's no weight loss in it for me. Paleobird had a great thread about calorie counting, which has some great information I've taken on board; somehow I need to reduce what I'm taking in. Counting isn't for me, though as I get more and more intense about it, then crash and burn. So I'm in the information sifting phase of figuring out what might work for me! I have a close eye on being sustainable, and this sounds promising. It's great that it's also working for women 'of a certain age' lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That's another thing. I think men's bodies deal differently with a cheat item than women's. Not as much of a derailment for them.
    I'm thinking two things along these lines.

There is scientific evidence that women metabolize alcohol differently from men, and usually it is stored in adipose fat (if i'm remembeiring correctly), so essentially it "makes you fat" (vague over simplificatiton). But, it will definitely derail the diet.

Next, i think that when a cheat coincides with a TOM, the "cheat" becomes the "two week habit" until the hormones flip and *bam* no longer interested in that cheat. This is what I observed in myself at least. Here was my process:

Cheat: Friend brings in tacos with white tortillas; I love tacos! I eat tacos!
    Cheat step 2: TACOS! I CRAVE TACOS!
    Cheat step 3: MUST EAT TACOS.
    Cheat step 4: WANT TACOS, will not eat due to PB!
    Cheat step 5: WANT WANT WANT TACOS -- eat PB BAS with taco flavors. Body tells you to go to hell you dirty liar as those were not TACOS and I DEMAND TACOS.
    Cheat step 6: TACOS! TACOS TACOS TACOS TACOS.
    Cheat step 7. Menstruation begins. TACOS WOMAN! TACOS!
    Cheat step 8-11: MUST EAT ALL OF THE WORLD"S TACOS.
    Day 12. What are you talking about? tacos are disgusting.

Now, if my friend brought me tacos at any point during the estrogen phase, I'd be like "no thanks." or I'd be able to have one and move on with my life. Yay! 20% PB is easy.

But if i'm post ovulation, forget it. MUST EAT ALL TACOS.

---- at least, that's my experience.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Most of the content on this site applies to both men and women...

Page 2 of 183 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast