Page 19 of 183 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 19

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been doing the IF thing for 2 weeks now and I find I do MUCH better on it. I'm insulin resistant and I never get the shakes or anything anymore, it's almost unbelievable. I usually only eat 2 large meals between 2p and 7pm, so I guess I'm actually doing Fast 5. Some days i do eat at noon then just a protein shake between that meal and dinner. I was not losing any weight and this jumped my body back in gear and I dropped 2.8 pounds in 1 week. Only half a pound this week though. Either way, the scale is moving down, my measurements are going down and I feel amazing eating this way now.

like someone also mentioned, I'm learning to determine if I'm really truly hungry by doing this. I've learned that alot of it is really just in my mind.

For reference, I'm 5'7, 173 pounds, age 38. I have about 30+ pounds to lose.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Part of my frustration also comes down to pure vanity. I teach yoga and am constantly surrounded by willowy vegans who wrinkle their nose at meat or the very notion of touching a barbell. I feel like all I'm doing is proving their wrong-headedness right, because I'm the only one who's got a BF% above like 15%. I KNOW I'm healthier, because I get sick way less, my skin tone is better, and I can squat and deadlift and sprint all of them into oblivion. But it doesn't LOOK that way and nothing I seem to try makes me look the way I think someone with my diet and exercise habits SHOULD look. And meanwhile I'm the fat girl in the crowd. It's so discouraging.

I'm really just venting at this point. I was really glad to find this thread because I was about to post a "SERIOUSLY, WHY CAN'T I LOSE FAT" rant on the nutrition forums, and then I came here and it's like I was reading my own thoughts. So, THANK you guys so much for this thread. It's so encouraging that I'm not the only one who can't make it happen with PB--those success stories, while I love to read them, totally f*#& with my head!!
    This summarizes how I feel so well. When I first found PB, I messed up and told people around me about it because I was so excited. I thought I had finally found "it," that magical solution. Most of the people around me that would judge my appearance (my sisters, mom, closest friends) know about PB. They can also see, plain as day, that I haven't lost a damn pound. I feel like an idiot because of that.

To them, getting sick every winter is normal. I haven't gotten sick since using PB. I haven't had any migraines, which were previously common for me, and my skin is clearer. But, that's not the result I expected or wanted when I started this. Honestly, I'd take skinny and bad acne over fat and clear skin any day. I think every day about how I would give any amount of money to have a thinner body. And, I mean it, I really really do.

I want so badly to have the kind of results that just speak for them self. I don't though, and it is very discouraging. All I have wanted since I was 9 years old was to be "normal" when it comes to weight. I've never had that and it really makes me sad every day.

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Digging this thread so far. I'm 32, live in Texas. I'm an aircraft electrician, somedays are super busy and somedays are super slow. I was doing PB on and off for several months, but my body was telling me I needed to commit and start making it feel better. I've got hypothyroidism and have known it for a little over 10 years now. I found out when I was in the Army back then.

I like PB, not only is my way of eating changing, but my way of thinking about food is evolving along the way as well. I had already been in the mind set, for a while at least, that I needed to fuel my body with food, not just eat and carry on. It just took me finding a place and set of ideas that would get me going. I'm still learning, which is pretty cool to me.
    Last edited by Alessandra; 03-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Has anyone, ANYONE, had any luck slimming down their midsection? I am just at my wit's end. I'm going to do alternate day fasting for the next month and increase my sprints to 2x/week to see if it helps any.

Just feeling really glum.
    i am a flabby midsection gal myself. i am doing the exercises from Convict Conditioning right now and even though I am doing level one I am noticing some midsection changes. i have started this program a few times and this time i am determined to meet the "advanced" standard for each level and do it at least ten times before going to the next level.

oh and is it possible you have a diastis recti (where the stomach muscles no longer meet in the middle). i have had two kids and had a four finger separation. you don't need to have had kids to have it. Men get it also. i did the Tupler technique to get them together again (no surgery needed ) and then started the Convict Conditioning. When I corrected my diastis recti my stomach went from looking four months pregnant to MUCH better!

I would like to hear more about IFing and women...and anyone IF and breastfeed????
    Last edited by Muppet; 03-15-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to get rid of my baby belly, but it's a long haul considering it took 4 babies to make it I plank at times and have been doing pull ups (I can do a whole one and hold it for 20 seconds now! woot me!!) and have recently received a DVD a friend's husband made (He's an elite athlete trainer, does primal movements. Interested? eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

I could do the session for a whole 6 mins. Isn't that just pathetic!)

Unfortunately, baby days are over for me I don't think I could IF in the first 6 weeks, though, judging on the enormous quantity of food I ate each post partum time I had.

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Heatseeker, if there's one place that I don't seem to have a problem slimming down, it's my abdominal area. That's usually the first area for me to see results. Uhm, I'm gonna say that drives me absolutely nuts! I could do sqauts and lunges all the time, but the fat on my rear doesn't budge as easily. So, while I'm having problems in a different spot, I feel your pain
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone, ANYONE, had any luck slimming down their midsection?
    Yeah- I have... I'm a 190 lbs woman with a 32" waist that was 38" 20 lbs ago. The only weight I have lost is from my midsection. My arms.... not an ounce off. My button down shirts are all huge over the midsection and tight as ever over my arms. My pants gap at the waist and are snug over the thighs.

And so frsutrating- my arms are building muscle, but the flab just hangs off of them. Arms of a 300 lbs woman. I'm this close to plastic surgery. At least my legs, though big, are not flabby. My arms measure larger than my very muscular calves.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Heatseeker, when i got stuck at 125 lbs, being all healthy and wonderful, and active, and lifting, and eating right, and still plump, the thing that worked for me was the Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald's. I did two cycles of it, the first time full 8 weeks, with breaking Primal rules and went from 125 to 118 lbs. I did 6 weeks of Whole 30 afterwards, and maintenance, dropped a little more for 117 lbs. Then I did 6 more weeks of UD2.0, until it became too hard, and was hovering at 113 -114 lbs (losing from 0.5" waist, 0.75" thigh/hip and a good inch at the chest) so I am recovering now, and waiting to see if I kept any of the loss.

How much of a deficit did you try on LeanGain? Choco Taco has that notion that Lean Gain will be effective if you do it at overall deficit of ~ 25%-30%, i.e. you eat MAINTENANCE on lifting days, and 70% maintenance on non-lifting days. For me it would be ~1600/1100 split. I am thinking of giving it a shot in another 2 weeks, once I am done with my 4 weeks of metabolic stabilization.

I am hoping for better luck on the fast-5 soon. If I can't do it, I will give it up. I think the duration of the fast is too long and it's giving me an unhealthy relationship to food because I'm hungry all day long. When I eat I'm so hungry I inhale my food, then I'm sorry it's all gone and really really want some more. It's like all the feeling of being cured of my disordered eating has left me attempting fast-5.
    Same here. Fast 5 is just too long. 14-18 hrs is where I keep a healthy relationship with food, if I am NOT pushing it.

Also, some women do better on Paleo than Primal in terms of fat:carb ratio, with less fat and more carbs from tubers and veggies. If you haven't tried that, it might be worthwhile to keep the primal/paleo choices of food, but try something like 40:30:30 ratios.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-16-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
    This summarizes how I feel so well. When I first found PB, I messed up and told people around me about it because I was so excited. I thought I had finally found "it," that magical solution. Most of the people around me that would judge my appearance (my sisters, mom, closest friends) know about PB. They can also see, plain as day, that I haven't lost a damn pound. I feel like an idiot because of that.
    This is exactly how I feel!! I was SO excited because I did actually see results at first ... went from 141 to 134 lbs over the course of the first month and felt great! I told EVERYONE. I could even fit into all the pants in my closet that had been hanging there unused because they were a little too tight to look good for work. Then the honeymoon period ended, and I started gaining it back. Here I am at nearly 6 months and the scale is back to 141, the pants look like stuffed sausages on me, and the cellulite is back in full force. Totally baffling because the only changes I made were to become more strict (ex: sub grassfed whole milk for semi-sweetened almond milk) and add in 2x/week bodyweight training. The ONLY other thing I can think of is that I was on a low-dose (LoSeasonique) BCP for the first 6 weeks of Paleo. Before that I'd been on a regular dose one, and I gave up on the low-dose after those 6 weeks because of nearly constant bleeding and went back to regular dose. So maybe it is hormonal?? That's all I can think of, because I'm certainly not eating more than I was those first 6 weeks ... if anything I've cut back because I remember being AMAZED that I could eat to the point of being comfortably full at every meal and still lose weight.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I think I'll try eating super ridiculously clean (no alcohol, no chocolate, no honey, no cheese) for the next few weeks and increase my calorie deficit by about 300 cals.

Can those who've had success with carb cycling post a typical meal plan on workout days? I'm having trouble hitting my calories without going overboard on fat.