Page 182 of 183 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183 LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 182

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    RitsRose sent me in here. Said there would be punch and pie. What is this place?
    SShhhh. You were supposed to be sneaking in!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Me2, We've conversed before about GAPS. I'm not doing it now but I have incorporated some of the GAPS principles into the way I'm eating. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's so I tried the paleo autoimmune protocol which is similar to GAPS, it drove me kind of crazy, there were so few things that i could eat, I was always hungry. In addition everyone is always saying how you shouldn't go low carb if you're hypothyroid, well it's darn hard to get enough carbs on the paleo AP. I've come to the conclusion that I can't eat such a restrictive diet w/o some sort of guidance. I'm keeping my eyes open for an affordable health care practitioner to help me figure out how to deal with the Hashi's.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I have hashimotos too, which is probably part of my issue. I do try to keep my carbs up, sometimes that means a bit o honey and fruit, though nothing excessive. I've I ate some potato salad 2 days ago and it was super bad, I still have some gut work to do, so gaps it is. Tell me if you get some good info on the hashimotos

Sent from my ADR6350 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think it's quite easy to get adequate carbs being paleo. Eating tubers (sweet potatoes), squash (pumpkin, etc), and fruit in addition to veggies will definitely get you there.

But, there's "low carb" and then there is "low carb" (or VLC -- very low carb). I think that it's fine to be "low carb" (less than 50% of calories from carbohydrates), and yet still having carbs as the "foundation" of your diet such as the 40 (carbs)/30 (protein)/30 (fat) version of paleo.

It's really just a matter of how you balance it out.

kalli889 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmGal417 View Post
    Hi, I've spent the last several days lurking, and wanted to jump in. I came to MDA by way of WheatBelly. I've been wheat free for over a year, after spending my entire life with IBS issues that have gone away since becoming wheat free. I've also lost 16 pounds and feel better mentally and physically. Now I'm working on removing the crap from my diet and getting stronger.

I'm 58, married for 30 years to a great guy, and as you can tell by my handle, live on a farm in SW MO. Look forward to getting to know you all better.
    Linda
    Welcome! <3
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

Tandy is offline Member
    I read several pages of this thread and now am ready to post. I want to read the whole thread but at 182 pages, it's going to take a while. lol. I am 41 years old, have a female life partner, no kids. I am currently reducing my psychotropic medication and started seeing a holistic doctor as a part of my effort to live a healthier life mentally and physically. I was vegan for about 5 years and fought with some really bad sugar cravings. I basically gave in all the time because I felt that I couldn't do otherwise. Since going primal about 3 months ago, my cravings are basically limited to about a week before I start my menses (and I tend to ovulate around day 20 of my cycle so the craving start shortly thereafter. I am doing better but am definitely eating too much sugar. I am overweight. About 230 pounds, 5'9 1/2", small frame. I am really sick of being overweight. I was thin my whole life and used to be a fashion model in my teens and twenties. Then I started the psychotropic medications and gained 100 pounds that year (I was 26). It has never come off. Mostly I felt defeated with the cravings and gave in all the time. Since going primal, I definitely feel more in control. Thankfully, I am in good health (except for mental health and being overweight). I have not suffered any serious consequences for my diet and lifestyle habits.

I thought being vegan was a really good thing until I started reading about the primal/paleo lifestyle. I feel so much better now, no longer get shaky and stuff from not eating every couple of hours. I have lost about 1.5 inches around my abdomen (where I tend to carry most of my weight) and feel really better. I still have issues with the cravings like I said, right around my menses. I am not sure what to do about that. Any advice is appreciated.

I have been focusing a lot on diet since going primal 3 months ago but haven't done much of the exercise portion. I have been focusing on increasing my daily activity for about 2 weeks and that is going well. It's amazing how much differently you feel just by moving around more. 15 minute walks, trips up the stairs at work, and parking farther away from the door. I bought some kettlebells and dvds but haven't used them much. I have scoped out places to do some sprinting but haven't done it yet. It's a bit of a slow journey for me but one worthwhile for the long term. For the first 2 months of eating primal, I noticed a big reduction in my energy level so I thought that I had better just get used to the diet and not knock myself out with exercise. I think it was a good choice. My energy levels are returning to "normal" and I am ready for living more primally with the exercise.

Also, I am more than 75% barefoot right now. This is one of the best parts of reading Mark's book. I have discovered barefoot shoes and am getting educated regarding living barefoot. I have always loved going barefoot and thought it wasn't good for my feet. I did it anyway because I love being barefoot. Little did I know about a whole movement of going barefoot. So, I am experimenting with barefoot shoes right now for work and wear my 5Fingers a lot at home. I love taking my morning walks in my 5 fingers here in Michigan. Especially in the rain. I'm spending more time outside and getting fresh air into our house instead of leaving the air on all the time.

I am new to this forum. I introduced myself in Introductions and didn't get a single welcome. I almost left the forum until I found this thread. I thought I'd give connecting here another try. Pleased to be here and read all of your responses.

Britt is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Tandy!

I remember Mark having a question about that and his response was that it seemed around that time of the month, our muscles more readily store glycogen so that may be a part of the craving?

I'm sure more folks will have answers. Glad to see you're enjoying having gone primal.

Oh, and be sure to check out the journals subforum and maybe start your own.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tandy,

I think it's good to start with the diet first and slowly move into the exercise as you feel your energy increase. For the first 6 months or so I just walked. I've been primal for 3 yrs and now I do a variety of things, (I used Mark's Primal Fitness to start) mostly bodyweight exercises, walking and occasional sprinting. I'm just about turn 53 and I've never been stronger.

As far as treats go, I do sometimes have them, I just make them primal, like dark chocolate with almond butter. I tend to do things gradually and I don't do well with restrictions. Since this is they way I eat now I have to make it doable for the long term.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Tandy is offline Member
    Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely check out the journal.

justme is offline Senior Member
    Hi, ladies! Just discovered this thread and wanted to introduce myself.
    I'm P (29), my partner is J (28) and our toddlers are 3 1/2 and 15 m. Primal makes sense to us, and I am hoping that it will help me to manage BED and depression.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app