Page 17 of 183 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 17

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    According to Dr. Bryan P. Walsh, elevated cortisol raises blood sugar and insulin levels. And elevated insulin levels increase (among other things) testosterone in women and estrogen in men. I just heard him on the Underground Wellness podcast from back in 2010 when I was looking for something else and found it interesting. I honestly don't know about his credibility, just that it was pretty interesting.

Precision Nutrition Coaching | Research Review: Measuring Your Blood Sugar – Are You Too Sweet?
    Yop, yop. I think this is where a lot of the problem lies if you have insulin resistance or problems like PCOS and Diabetes that stem from it.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I keep trying different things (within paleo) but I still haven't lost a single pound. I keep all my meals down to just meat and veggies, with fruit and nuts used mostly as condiments. I recently cut out alcohol, almost all dairy (just a small sprinkling of cheese on a salad a couple times per week) and coffee. I also started forcing myself to eat a protein-heavy breakfast and not allow myself even a smidgen of a snack after dinner, to try to get my insomnia under control. All that, and the only difference I've seen is uncomfortably tight pants. The scale says I'm exactly the same as where I started but somehow the pants are all tighter, and I can't blame the dryer for it when it's all of them! I think I may have actually lost water weight and gained fat. It's so frustrating to read all the success stories and be trying so hard myself with no success whatsoever. And even worse, I have a lot of family & friends ask about my "weird paleo diet" since I've been doing it for nearly 6 months now ... and I always have to admit that nope, I haven't lost any weight.
    Kim, have you put your food intake through any calculators for a couple of weeks? By your measurements you are in the hard to lose range, when you do have to count at least until you get an idea of rough intake; you have to train smartly and play with macros.

What works for me is heavy lifting 3x a week (I just switched from 3x a week barbell to 2x a week barbell + KBs) with short cardio sessions (~ 40 min with warm/up/cool down aiming for 1-2 HIITs a week) on the alternate days and walking 45 + min a day. I also try to eat low fat/high protein/carb on lifting days and high fat/low carb on cardio days. I exclude fruit and all sweeteners, nuts and dairy (though atm I am experimenting with adding raw milk hard cheese in).

It seems that your food is under control, so training or inappropriate training may be the trouble. Heavy lifting was the only thing that actually made a difference in my body shape, mostly positive (though I am not happy about large quadracep, but I take it as a part of the better package).

It is hard to find the right solution for oneself, but I am very willing to share what I did, when, when it became ineffective etc.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I found this in my emails this morning. I only got through about half of it because I'm headed off to work, but I thought it was pretty interesting so far. One thing it mentions is how excess cortisol increases ghrelin, which is a hormone that increases appetite.

The Paleo Premise: Troubleshooting Weight Loss on Low Carb Diets
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
    I'm not sure of my exact body fat percentage (5'8 150 lbs, athletic build) and I know I'm not pregnant.

I saw a doctor about 2 months ago and expressed I didn't have a period for a while and she didn't seem overly concerned... she just checked if I was pregnant or not and then left it at that.

I'm just starting to get concerned now that it has been even longer..... I know being too skinny can cause it but I don't think this is my issue....
    You don't have to be too skinny to lose your period. I lost mine at ~24%BF because I lost weight too quickly.
    Extended periods of time eating low carb, eating low calories, over exercising and stress (physical and/or mental) can all cause the absence of menstruation. I recommend taking some time off from dieting, exercising and eating low carb (2-4 weeks maybe) and see what happens.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Kim, have you put your food intake through any calculators for a couple of weeks? By your measurements you are in the hard to lose range, when you do have to count at least until you get an idea of rough intake; you have to train smartly and play with macros.

What works for me is heavy lifting 3x a week (I just switched from 3x a week barbell to 2x a week barbell + KBs) with short cardio sessions (~ 40 min with warm/up/cool down aiming for 1-2 HIITs a week) on the alternate days and walking 45 + min a day. I also try to eat low fat/high protein/carb on lifting days and high fat/low carb on cardio days. I exclude fruit and all sweeteners, nuts and dairy (though atm I am experimenting with adding raw milk hard cheese in).

It seems that your food is under control, so training or inappropriate training may be the trouble. Heavy lifting was the only thing that actually made a difference in my body shape, mostly positive (though I am not happy about large quadracep, but I take it as a part of the better package).

It is hard to find the right solution for oneself, but I am very willing to share what I did, when, when it became ineffective etc.
    I've tried some tracking, and it's easy for things like my breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs. It gets really hard to calculate when it's the rack of lamb we had last night, and most of the nutrition info I could find on it must have assumed you ate ALL the fat. Not that I'm afraid of some fat, especially good grass-fed lamb fat, but I definitely didn't eat all of the big ol' chunks on there! I am pretty careful/cognizant of higher calorie foods, even good-for-you ones. Like we have salads quite a lot but I'm careful to not put more than 1.5 tablespoons vinaigrette on mine even though I made it myself and know the oil is 100% EVOO. I really thought I'd start to see some difference finally when I cut out my morning latte (1.25 cups whole milk) and glass of red wine with dinner, because I've seen that cited a number of times as being the final roadblock for women. It's only been 2 weeks since I cut it all the way out, but my gosh, not even 0.5 lbs in that time?!

Right now I'm doing strength workouts 2x per week. I chose that frequency because the soreness after each workout has been lasting ~3 days. It seems to have tapered off in the last 2 weeks or so though so I probably need to increase the intensity, frequency, or both. Again like the wine/dairy though, I thought that by adding in strength training I would see SOME change, but it's really been nothing. I caught sight of my legs in the mirror during last night's workout and was absolutely HORRIFIED to see how much cellulite was there. I swear, if you saw a photo you'd think I was carrying 100 extra lbs and not 10!

Anyway, I'm going to keep reading and hope that I see something I haven't tried yet and might finally work. I want to give the no alcohol/milk thing the rest of this month to see if I get any results. I think I'll also give the carb/fat alternating on workout/nonworkout days a try, as you suggested. And seeing as how the weather is warming up, I'm going to try to start walking on my nonworkout days, as it sounds like you do. It sure can't hurt!

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
    I'm not sure of my exact body fat percentage (5'8 150 lbs, athletic build) and I know I'm not pregnant.

I saw a doctor about 2 months ago and expressed I didn't have a period for a while and she didn't seem overly concerned... she just checked if I was pregnant or not and then left it at that.

I'm just starting to get concerned now that it has been even longer..... I know being too skinny can cause it but I don't think this is my issue....
    I was going to ask a similar question. I just went like 2 months between periods for seemingly no reason at all. That's never happened to me before. I was really getting paranoid that I was pregnant, which wouldn't be cool since I have an IUD (means high risk of eptopic pregnancy, death, you know, minor stuff like that). I am definitely not so thin that it would cause a missed period, I'm still about 40 pounds overweight on the BMI charts. So it was very weird.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Consider that maybe if you lost a lot of weight that your body is thinking "oh my god where did all my precious fat go?" and so it's thinking it's starving. Being in a state of starvation says "hey, this is not a good time to reproduce." Even though maybe you aren't emaciated and starving, your body has lost so much of what it had before, with the corresponding hormonal changes that come from shrunken fat cells, that it thinks it needs to slow everything down.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Consider that maybe if you lost a lot of weight that your body is thinking "oh my god where did all my precious fat go?" and so it's thinking it's starving. Being in a state of starvation says "hey, this is not a good time to reproduce." Even though maybe you aren't emaciated and starving, your body has lost so much of what it had before, with the corresponding hormonal changes that come from shrunken fat cells, that it thinks it needs to slow everything down.
    If I had actually lost any weight, that would be awesome. In my case though, weight loss definitely has nothing to do with it becauses I haven't lost a pound doing this nonsense for 3 months. I'm obviously not perfect about it, but yeah, it sucks.

Sad as it is to say, I'll probably go back to CW since at least I lost weight that way. I know health is important, but what good is physical health if you are mentally miserable because you're fat?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'll probably go back to CW since at least I lost weight that way. I know health is important, but what good is physical health if you are mentally miserable because you're fat?
    It's discouraging to not lose weight. I think that there are 3 different types of bodies out there- ones that need low carb to lose, one that need low fat to lose and ones that need a balance to lose. I think you can still lose weight eating primal foods if you find the mix that works for you. To me, so much of CW is about making up for deprivation through chemistry....Have you tried to say, eat low fat using primal foods? I guess that would look like a lot of sweet potatoes, more fruits and veggies, and leaner proteins like fish and chicken breast vs. going back to CW diet of low fat yogurt with aspartame spooned over oatmeal....

I think some of the "more fat, more bacon, more butter, cut carbs" crowd are kidding themselves about overall health anyway.

I think the most important message about Primal is the message about non-toxic, healthy whole foods. How we manipulate that range of foods is pretty individual in terms of results.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's discouraging to not lose weight. I think that there are 3 different types of bodies out there- ones that need low carb to lose, one that need low fat to lose and ones that need a balance to lose. I think you can still lose weight eating primal foods if you find the mix that works for you. To me, so much of CW is about making up for deprivation through chemistry....Have you tried to say, eat low fat using primal foods? I guess that would look like a lot of sweet potatoes, more fruits and veggies, and leaner proteins like fish and chicken breast vs. going back to CW diet of low fat yogurt with aspartame spooned over oatmeal....

I think some of the "more fat, more bacon, more butter, cut carbs" crowd are kidding themselves about overall health anyway.

I think the most important message about Primal is the message about non-toxic, healthy whole foods. How we manipulate that range of foods is pretty individual in terms of results.
    I have just had such a hard time with some aspects. I miss pizza so much that I literally dream about it at night. It is crazy. Other things don't bother me as much as I thought. For example, I used to eat Italian bread dipped in olive oil with parmesian cheese all the time. Sometimes that would be my entire meal. I miss that a little, but not really all that much.

I just don't know why I have so much trouble with the diet. It seems to me that diet is the key to losing weight for me, but maybe exercise was a bigger factor than I ever thought.

I agree that I need to avoid toxic food, and I really try to. But, I miss my CW diet where I could still have 3 cosmos on a Saturday night and I was losing weight anyway. Now when I drink alcohol I feel so guilty about it. I feel bad whenever I go off the plan at all, and maybe that's really what my stumbling block is, I don't know. I definitely miss the convenience of my CW diet a TON. I used to go out to eat for about 80% of my meals. Now, instead of getting breakfast from Dunkin Donuts (I was always eating those gross egg white flat bread things), I just don't have breakfast. Instead of getting soup and bread for lunch I go to the salad bar and use oil and vinegar that I keep in my desk for dressing. I don't think those are bad changes, but where is my weight loss?