Page 164 of 183 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 164

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Mine doesn't share the details of his, unless the sounds of it can be considered sharing. He's pretty well ashamed. I'm pretty certain he's got the worst case of IBS anyone has ever had. But he won't do a 30-day trial or anything like that. Modern CW has all the answers as far as he's concerned.
    My hubby is allergic to dairy but also had problems for years with many other foods such as corn, berries, beans, etc, etc....so many it was hard for him to eat. His main symptoms were tummy discomfort and diarrhea for months on end. Because of years of diarrhea, he developed an anal fistula, not fun.

After experimenting, he finally figured out that drinking any kind of carbonated soda irritated his intestine. After cutting out sodas 100% his food choices are greatly increased instead of ever-dwindling. He had a colleague with similar issues who was also helped by quitting sodas. My hubby's doctor was no help for that issue, he still doesn't believe sodas could cause that problem. The fistula finally healed on its own. In any case, it's worth trying to eliminate something that seems "harmless" just to see.

Follow up note: drinking iced tea all day is not a good alternative. He recently had a big kidney stone that had to be removed, probably caused in part from drinking not-fully-diluted iced tea, about 5-8 glasses worth in 3 glasses per day. Tea has oxylates plus is a diuretic, so oxylates + dehydration = kidney stone

Edit: Oops, it was an anal fissure, not fistula
    Last edited by Energy!; 10-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    That would be me. It's not so much that I love the taste, I just want the brain health benefits, but I'd rather cook in butter.

Yeah, not so much on the taste. For me, it tastes like grey.
    Have you tried different brands of coconut oil? My fav so far is Dr. Bronner's Fair Trade Organic at Whole Foods. They had the 30 oz size on sale last week so I bought 2. Some brands taste weird to me. I also like the ground coconut butter that's 100% coconut if I need a snack (not too often, fortunately) by Tropical Traditions, tho other brands are good, too.
    Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy! View Post
    Have you tried different brands of coconut oil? My fav so far is Dr. Bronner's Fair Trade Organic at Whole Foods. They had the 30 oz size on sale last week so I bought 2. Some brands taste weird to me. I also like the ground coconut butter that's 100% coconut if I need a snack (not too often, fortunately) by Tropical Traditions, tho other brands are good, too.
    Other than going through Amazon or something, I haven't found a whole lot of quality ones out here yet. Right now I'm finishing up a jar of Spectrum Organic before I open up the Carrington Farms that I got a little while ago from Costco. I'll probably make some coconut oil/almond butter/cocoa poweder mix tonight, and that ought to finish it off. I'll see if there's much difference in the taste then.

Dr Bronner's sounds good, though. I love their soaps, and I've heard they're very vocal about food quality and GMOs, so I might look into that next time. I just hate going into Whole Foods, though. Such an attitude every time.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i make little coconut oil/kerrygold/cocoa bites that i sprinkle with kosher salt before they set.

i have found that a VERY high fat start to my day really helps get my fat percentage up there without going over on protein. low-carb is easy for me -- i've been eating this way 3+ years, but finally -- DUH -- realized i was having too much protein. once i made that adjustment i started losing again.

usual first meal is bone broth with like 3 tablespoons of kerrygold and some seaweed, sometimes one egg. if i'm hungry but eating with the b/f later, i might have some melted brie with chopped avocado on top for lunch. this way i can have a decent serving of protein for dinner.

i shoot for about 100 gms of fat each day and about 60-70 protein. if you use a program like fitday or cronometer it will calculate everything for you and you don't need a spread sheet.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jodis is offline Member
    I like Nutiva Coconut Oil. I remember reading one of Mark's articles (or perhaps it was in one of his books) where he mentioned Nutiva as his favorite. That may or may not be the case any more, but it seemed like a good one to start with. And I like it very much, and thus, have never tried any other producer. I got mine at Whole Foods. I try to just eat one small spoonful (still trying to work out my optimum intake, etc.), but I find it tasty, and I do use it to cook with.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    No, but you made me snort-laugh, so you DO get bonus points~!
    awesome!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I truly am not a stupid person but I just can't figure out how to do this? Can you provide very simple one syllable step by step instructions??
    okay --- let me see if I'm smart enough to do this! hahaha......

I will try to insert a sample of my spreadsheet..... if it doesn't work I'd be happy to email it to you then you'd have all the formulas set for you.

10/9/2012 4 bacon peanut butter rib steak acorn squash 2 tb butter grams calories %s

cal 245 250 450 115 200 1260
    carb 0.6 12 0 30 0 42.6 170.4 14%
    fat 18.9 22 35 0.3 22 98.2 883.8 70%
    prot 16.7 9 30 2.3 0 58 232 18%

okay - things didn't line up perfectly when I cut and pasted - but you get the idea. the formula for total grams look like this =sum(C4:J4) only you would use the appropriate cell coodinates. then for total calories its =K4*4 (or 9 for fats). then for % its =(L4/L3) and change the coordinates as you go. If this doesn't make sense pm me your email and I'll send it to you.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

oh dear --- after sending this to post it really didn't come out right .............. pm me if you need to.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    oh dear --- after sending this to post it really didn't come out right .............. pm me if you need to.
    Thanks! I sent you a PM
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The spammers are off the charts this weekend, it seems to me. Like ants or roaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Energy! View Post
    My hubby is allergic to dairy but also had problems for years with many other foods such as corn, berries, beans, etc, etc....so many it was hard for him to eat. His main symptoms were tummy discomfort and diarrhea for months on end. Because of years of diarrhea, he developed an anal fistula, not fun.

After experimenting, he finally figured out that drinking any kind of carbonated soda irritated his intestine. After cutting out sodas 100% his food choices are greatly increased instead of ever-dwindling. He had a colleague with similar issues who was also helped by quitting sodas. My hubby's doctor was no help for that issue, he still doesn't believe sodas could cause that problem. The fistula finally healed on its own. In any case, it's worth trying to eliminate something that seems "harmless" just to see.

Follow up note: drinking iced tea all day is not a good alternative. He recently had a big kidney stone that had to be removed, probably caused in part from drinking not-fully-diluted iced tea, about 5-8 glasses worth in 3 glasses per day. Tea has oxylates plus is a diuretic, so oxylates + dehydration = kidney stone
    I kind of wonder if my boyfriend's bowel problems could be related to all the gum he chews. He chews a lot of gum. I don't chew any gum, but in the past if I've had any amount of sorbitol I have had horrific intestinal problems. I'm done trying to help him, though. He's on his own with that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2