Page 160 of 183 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 160

Primal Fuel
    Hi PM, it must be very frustrating to have to listen to all that nonsense. Cholesterol appears to be immaterial unless you have low levels and you know it . Why worry about it ,surely there is no cholesterol police in Canada who can make you go on a low fat grainy diet (yak ) . this the guy who first opned my eyes. I just dont worry about it know.

Cholesterol and Health | Truth about cholesterol

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    Hey! New girl here! Started primal about 3 weeks ago. I'm not 100% but I try to make the best choices I can. I never thought I would be as sensitive to SAD food after I started this. I'm not complaining. Most of my cravings for bread and sweets is gone and feel like a new person.
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal me View Post
    I recently had blood work done and the doctor was concerned that my cholesterol is elevated. She asked me to meet with a diet educator to talk about ways to lower my cholesterol through diet. I met with the RN and she showed me the Canada Food Guide with lots of emphasis on "healthy whole grains".

It was a disappointing and frustrating meeting as the discussion was very one-sided. With no baseline to mark a trend they decided that paleo must be causing my cholesterol to go up even though I am losing weight from my belly. I managed to talk them into allowing me 3 months on the diet with no modifications before we do another blood test to get a trend line. If it's coming down then paleo is helping to bring it down and I will make no changes. If it is going up I may consider letting some foods go like *sob* bacon. We will do another test in 6 months as well. I have committed to eating more leafy greens and oily fish like salmon to raise my HDL cholesterol but at this time those are the only changes I am willing to make.

She also sent me for a test for celiac, I think she figures if it comes back negative she will have an argument for me to put grains back in my diet but I don't think she realizes that I am not willing to go back to a way of eating that made me fat and unwell in the first place. I am incredibly frustrated by the closemindedness of our health professionals but I am not particularly surprised by it either and that saddens me.

Has anyone else had their cholesterol go down while following paleo without taking out the usual suspects, (bacon, eggs and all natural fats) and if so approximately how long did it take? I have been eating paleo since mid-June and we have no idea what my cholesterol was like before I started. The last blood work I did was for mortgage insurance about six years ago and there was nothing unusual in the lipids at that time. My belief is that my diet from that time to this year caused my cholesterol to go up and that paleo is bringing it down but without a trend line I have no idea if that is true or not.
    I am new here and also from Canada, Vancouver. The reason I started this diet was because the doctor read me the riot act when he saw my cholesterol/tryglicerides. He said no more sugars/breads. So I guess they are all at a different level of education on this. My husband also saw a drop- in doctor after a stomach episode after starting Paleo. What surprised us both was that she said she was also paleo and didn't believe that humans were meant to eat wheat and grains. LOL I don't know what my cholesterol will be now, will get it checked after 6 months. But I do know none of the doctors that I am likely to see will advocate the SAD diet. In less than 3 months I have just reached my goal weight and have lost 26lbs. feel much much better. My only concern is that I seem to react so quickly and severely to any added bad stuff to my diet. including eggs and dairy.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Focus more on your triglycerides because there is some correlation between low trigs and better overall health.

Don't worry about total cholesterol. A low number does not make you more healthy, and is in fact correlated with a HIGHER risk of death (I know, correlation =/= causation) when it comes to women.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    good on you Silvergirl 26lbs in less than three months
    well done and welcome

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    we need cholesterol. our bodies make it and we would die without it. fatty foods do not translate to elevated blood lipids.

http://www.spacedoc.com/saturated_fa..._heart_disease

Ancel Keys Was Wrong about Heart Disease and Cholesterol | Health Impact News

after 2 years of no grains, but not really primal, i had a cholesterol test last year, as part of an overall work-up. i eat plenty of fatty foods, red meat and dairy. with a non-fasted test, my overall number was 210, but my trigs were 60 and my ratio well below any kind of warning bell numbers.

that being said, i don't believe the hype that high cholesterol is a problem and more evidence is showing that higher numbers are safer for women as we age.

unless i had a genetic disorder that caused issues, i would NEVER take drugs for my cholesterol.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

tomi is online now Senior Member
    After 8 months on primal eating my triglycerides dropped to normal levels. Prior to changing my diet I had been on cholesterol meds for 20 years. This WOE works. Stay with it.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Focus more on your triglycerides because there is some correlation between low trigs and better overall health.

Don't worry about total cholesterol. A low number does not make you more healthy, and is in fact correlated with a HIGHER risk of death (I know, correlation =/= causation) when it comes to women.
    Yes, even my doctor said that. that was the figure that concerned him most.

Quote Originally Posted by jacmac View Post
    good on you Silvergirl 26lbs in less than three months
    well done and welcome
    Thank you very much jacmac I am really pleased. Really all my cravings disappeared on this lifestyle. So it has been pretty easy for me.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow you're really doing well Silvergirl! Well done!