Page 16 of 183 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 16

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I have a question and I don't know if it has already been adressed earlier in the thread.... but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I lost weight going primal/low carb over the past 6 months. About 35 lbs. I haven't had a real period in about 4 months... I am started to get concerned. Should I be?
    First - how old are you? What is your body fat % ? and are you SURE you're not pregnant?

If you're not old enough for menopause, and if your body fat is above 15%, and you're NOT pg ............ then I suggest its time for a visit to the gynecologist.

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    So - one of my earlier posts stated I had a new strategy......... no booze and no chocolate. I was doing that only to lose weight.......... now it seems I have to do it to stay alive. I don't really want to have a heart attack at 51. Oh my goodness - look at what I'm saying......... NO RUM, NO CHOCOLATE, NO BACON, NO EGGS, AND NO DIP!

Is it okay to have pity party?
    First of all, congratulations on overcoming your fibromyalgia. I hope you're celebrating that victory! Now on to your other concerns...

Look at portions. If you are having bacon and eggs for breakfast, cut the portions in half and fill the rest of your plate with a green salad - yes, salad for breakfast. You'll love it: )
    You absolutely MUST stop the bad fats NOW. Go directly to your fridge and cabinets, and toss anything that contains corn or
    canola or vegetable oil - so mayos, dressings, say goodbye. Start a new habit of squeezing fresh lemon juice on your steamed
    veggies (really delicious!) and here's a great vinaigrette recipe I use on my salads (I also use it as a mayo replacement on things like my lettuce wrap BLTs)

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    3/4 cuo EVOO
    1/2tsp finely ground celtic salt
    1/4 tsp fresh ground blk pepper
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice (maybe more to taste - you wnt to brighten up the overall flavor)
    1tsp honey (just enough to turn the sour into tangy)

Recycle one of those salad dressing bottles and add all your ingredients then give it a good, emulsifying shake, and enjoy!

Also, if you havent't been doing the sprinting and lifting heavy things part of being primal, begin to do them once per week. As much as primal is about diet, it's about moving your body for heart health.

You've already come so far - don't let this visit to the doctor spoil your feeling of accomplishment! You've got so much to be proud of! And now that you're no longer dealing with the pain of the fibromyalgia you can take it up a notch.

I'll be your sprint buddy if you like : )
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    First - how old are you? What is your body fat % ? and are you SURE you're not pregnant?

If you're not old enough for menopause, and if your body fat is above 15%, and you're NOT pg ............ then I suggest its time for a visit to the gynecologist.
    I'm not sure of my exact body fat percentage (5'8 150 lbs, athletic build) and I know I'm not pregnant.

I saw a doctor about 2 months ago and expressed I didn't have a period for a while and she didn't seem overly concerned... she just checked if I was pregnant or not and then left it at that.

I'm just starting to get concerned now that it has been even longer..... I know being too skinny can cause it but I don't think this is my issue....

Leida is offline Senior Member
    This is likely why you have a difficult time getting lean and trim. Genetics do play a role in your body composition.
    Actually, i am exact opposite of my mom, with narrow shoulders and huge hips. I also did not inherit any of her athletic aptitude. Her coach came to knock on her door if she missed a practice, she was so good. Me, I was outright rejected or kicked out from every sport my mom tried to put me into from age 5 on (in the home country it was not like here, everyone is included, you actually had to be talented) till the public upbraiding for under performance and disappointing my dear coaches in front of the whole team that I swam with for 3+ years at the age of 12. Peculiarly, I inherited my feminine body from my father. But, yeah, absolutely no-one in my family was naturally slender, basically tall, and wide, and all of them growing heavy from mid thirties on. I think mom would have stayed thin, if not for the food shortages in mid-nineties, when she subsisted on white bread and milk and sugar and worked on the phone as a Real Estate agent to make ends meet. That's when she really got the stomach growing and she'd never lost it. Until then, we ate reasonably well.

I saw a doctor about 2 months ago and expressed I didn't have a period for a while and she didn't seem overly concerned... she just checked if I was pregnant or not and then left it at that.

I'm just starting to get concerned now that it has been even longer..... I know being too skinny can cause it but I don't think this is my issue....
    Doctors in Canada usually want 60 days to elapse before they send you to the gynecologist on a missed period/confirmed no pg. Try getting a referral, the gynecologist would be able to prescribe prometrium unless s/he founds a root-cause of the issue. I lost my period after a msised miscarriage and went without for 90+ days before I managed to see a gynecologist. Messed up hormones are a bad thing.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Actually, i am exact opposite of my mom, with narrow shoulders and huge hips. I also did not inherit any of her athletic aptitude. Her coach came to knock on her door if she missed a practice, she was so good. Me, I was outright rejected or kicked out from every sport my mom tried to put me into from age 5 on (in the home country it was not like here, everyone is included, you actually had to be talented) till the public upbraiding for under performance and disappointing my dear coaches in front of the whole team that I swam with for 3+ years at the age of 12. Peculiarly, I inherited my feminine body from my father. But, yeah, absolutely no-one in my family was naturally slender, basically tall, and wide, and all of them growing heavy from mid thirties on. I think mom would have stayed thin, if not for the food shortages in mid-nineties, when she subsisted on white bread and milk and sugar and worked on the phone as a Real Estate agent to make ends meet. That's when she really got the stomach growing and she'd never lost it. Until then, we ate reasonably well.

Doctors in Canada usually want 60 days to elapse before they send you to the gynecologist on a missed period/confirmed no pg. Try getting a referral, the gynecologist would be able to prescribe prometrium unless s/he founds a root-cause of the issue. I lost my period after a msised miscarriage and went without for 90+ days before I managed to see a gynecologist. Messed up hormones are a bad thing.

ahh, now I'm a little scared I will try to make it in to the drs soon to get a referral ...

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Same here!! My mom has skinny legs with a thick middle and I am the polar opposite. I've always had a 25-26" waist but with 40-41" hips I'm lucky if I can jam myself size 10 pants. I got my dad's husky legs for sure - - ugh!!

I keep trying different things (within paleo) but I still haven't lost a single pound. I keep all my meals down to just meat and veggies, with fruit and nuts used mostly as condiments. I recently cut out alcohol, almost all dairy (just a small sprinkling of cheese on a salad a couple times per week) and coffee. I also started forcing myself to eat a protein-heavy breakfast and not allow myself even a smidgen of a snack after dinner, to try to get my insomnia under control. All that, and the only difference I've seen is uncomfortably tight pants. The scale says I'm exactly the same as where I started but somehow the pants are all tighter, and I can't blame the dryer for it when it's all of them! I think I may have actually lost water weight and gained fat. It's so frustrating to read all the success stories and be trying so hard myself with no success whatsoever. And even worse, I have a lot of family & friends ask about my "weird paleo diet" since I've been doing it for nearly 6 months now ... and I always have to admit that nope, I haven't lost any weight.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    If you tell everyone that high cortisol increases estrogen, you would be telling men the correct thing. But for women, it increases testosterone, not estrogen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Source please! If true, this would explain a LOT.
    According to Dr. Bryan P. Walsh, elevated cortisol raises blood sugar and insulin levels. And elevated insulin levels increase (among other things) testosterone in women and estrogen in men. I just heard him on the Underground Wellness podcast from back in 2010 when I was looking for something else and found it interesting. I honestly don't know about his credibility, just that it was pretty interesting.

Precision Nutrition Coaching | Research Review: Measuring Your Blood Sugar – Are You Too Sweet?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Have you guys been doing regular strength training? I did this regularly for the last month and haven't seen any big weight difference but my jeans totally feel more saggy and I'm seeing my legs and arms tone up. Strength training is also really important when it comes to regulating insulin better and boosting metabolism.

Though I'm having a tough time losing weight too, but I do see my health improving in several other ways. Sometimes you really do have to play around with things to figure out what's best for you (but not so quickly and impatiently that you don't give things a chance to make a difference--at least a month). I found going VLC good in the beginning to get insulin under control, but its effects had their limit. I wasn't losing any more weight (lost 30 pretty quickly). All of a sudden it got harder to sleep. When I started adding some more carbohydrates into my diet sleep got a lot better. I can say my acne has gone away for the first time in 12 years (I think getting rid of dairy and caffeine make the biggest difference on that one because they screw with insulin and blood sugar the most - yes, even more than straight sugar). That's enough to keep me motivated to figure out how to slim down.

No matter how tough this gets, it's pretty hard to convince myself that quality fats, proteins, fruits and vegetables aren't the best things we could be feeding ourselves.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

drheather is offline Senior Member
    Hello all,

I am 43, have been primal since late Sept. '11. Only cheat is my red wine habit, and the occasional Cosmopolitan. A girl has to have one vice left....started at 217.5 lb at 5'10", today am at 185. Progress has been slow but steady. Started weight training in January and it has made a huge difference in my body-everything seems much firmer, muscles are showing and have gone from a size 14 to 8s and 10s. More importantly, energy levels are way more stable without wheat and sugar....main issue now is managing stress as I run a business for a large company so cortisol is probably not where it should be due to regular stressors.
    Good luck to all in following this great lifestyle!

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by drheather View Post
    Hello all,

I am 43, have been primal since late Sept. '11. Only cheat is my red wine habit, and the occasional Cosmopolitan.
    ha! I for one don't believe that embracing the primal lifestyle means you must live in a cave! Congratulations on your progress. As for stress, have you made friends with your vagus nerve? here's an interesting article that might be helpful: Mark Hyman, MD: Is Your Body Burning Up With Hidden Inflammation?

So inspiring to hear your progress. I've been primal for about 3 weeks now and I've never felt so good in my whole life. Plus I'm really loving mealtimes : ) Good luck to you, too!
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!