Page 159 of 183 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 159

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just wanted to pop in with a little report! I'm on Day 10 of the 21 Day Challenge and going strong! No cheats or deviations I haven't weighed yet....... waiting until Oct. 2nd. But my clothes are feeling loser and I see a little thinner face looking back at me from the bathroom mirror! Also --- those pesky under eye bags and puffiness are GONE! Probably the lack of "intoxicating beverages" on that one!

Will have a very challenging weekend........... spending it on our boat in the Pudget sound. Hubby always like to have junk food on the boat --- so I will need to have my armor on to resist! And he's informed me that there is a bottle of rum already on board. I'm a sucker for a rum and diet coke. Poison + poison. Maybe I'll take a sharpy and draw a skull and bones on the rum label so I will have a bold reminder that I don't need to drink any!!!!! I might take alone some dark chocolate as my "treat". I'll try to go to the 86% so there is less sugar.

Anyone else doing the challenge............ how are you doing?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Sarahsparkle is offline Junior Member
    I'm not doing the challenge as such (although sounds like you are doing great Tomi)

Just to update since I started Primal eating nearly 2 weeks ago

I have lost 9lbs, 2 inches off my waist, clothes are feeling looser and I am feeling great. I have been reading loads of books- currently on Wheat Belly after reading John Briffa and Gary Taubes and I am just more and more horrified at the way CW has been misleading us and ignoring the facts

Just sitting at my desk at work (in bright and early after waking up refreshed 20 minutes before my alarm went off) tucking into berries, greek yogurt, nuts and a fresh ground coffee with cream - yum! I have an avocado, ham salad for lunch and DH is making pork steaks with a chorizo cream sauce and spring greens for dinner. I love this way of life and my only regret is I did not find it sooner. I am still having a couple of glasses of wine or a gin and diet tonic, and very dark chocolate when I feel like it.

I will shortly be under 220lbs for the first time in quite a while and I can see 200 approaching in the not too distant future - that will be somewhere I haven't been for over 10 years. If I wasn't so happy I would cry with relief that the answer was just so obvious

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahsparkle View Post
    I will shortly be under 220lbs for the first time in quite a while and I can see 200 approaching in the not too distant future - that will be somewhere I haven't been for over 10 years. If I wasn't so happy I would cry with relief that the answer was just so obvious
    So glad to hear you are getting off to a great start and seeing such great results! How exciting! This WOE is not a magic bullet to weight loss, but if do find the "sweet spot" for your particular needs - the weight does come off. Some fast, some not so fast. Keep up the great work and progress!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    A strong argument that weight loss is harder for women:
    Diabetes Update: My Live Call-In Show with Jimmy Moore is Now a Podcast
    Jenny is not entirely supportive of primal, but she is excellent on research-based low carb.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Just wanted to pop in with a little report! I'm on Day 10 of the 21 Day Challenge and going strong! No cheats or deviations I haven't weighed yet....... waiting until Oct. 2nd. But my clothes are feeling loser and I see a little thinner face looking back at me from the bathroom mirror! Also --- those pesky under eye bags and puffiness are GONE! Probably the lack of "intoxicating beverages" on that one!

Will have a very challenging weekend........... spending it on our boat in the Pudget sound. Hubby always like to have junk food on the boat --- so I will need to have my armor on to resist! And he's informed me that there is a bottle of rum already on board. I'm a sucker for a rum and diet coke. Poison + poison. Maybe I'll take a sharpy and draw a skull and bones on the rum label so I will have a bold reminder that I don't need to drink any!!!!! I might take alone some dark chocolate as my "treat". I'll try to go to the 86% so there is less sugar.

Anyone else doing the challenge............ how are you doing?
    Ah, the Puget Sound! Why ruin it with diet soda? Seriously, don't have any on board and you'll be fine.

I lived in Bellingham for a decade and I miss it dearly.

Great job! Keep it up.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    A strong argument that weight loss is harder for women:
    Diabetes Update: My Live Call-In Show with Jimmy Moore is Now a Podcast
    Jenny is not entirely supportive of primal, but she is excellent on research-based low carb.
    Wow, that is totally no nonsense. I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life "staying on a very rigid, low calorie diet for the rest of their lives." I guess it's pretty hopeless to expect I'll ever lose more than I already have.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Ah HA! I bought Volek and Phinney's Low Carb Performance book and there it is highlighted and everything. Exercise slows the metabolism on average between 5 and 15% when overweight people exercise for more than an hour a day! It all makes sense now. I think I'm starting to see that there is actually no way in hell to actually ever become a thin person if you have been a fat one. It appears at the very best you can get somewhat presentable but you will always struggle, always. It also explains why the longer I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail the less I could eat with abandon even though my hunger increased continuously.

I found this podcast. I hate listening to stuff online, but I listened to the whole thing. It was mostly women doing everything perfectly and not getting the results that are supposed to be just sooo easy calling in and asking Stephen Phinney what's the deal. The Dr.'s answers were pretty good most of the time. The boyfriend was watching some stupid sci-fi channel movie last night, so I just put on my headphones and listened to this while watching space bugs gore people to death.
    23: Long-Term Stalls & Weight Gain Even On A Well-Formulated Low-Carb Diet | Dr. Stephen Phinney | Jimmy Moore Presents: Ask The Low-Carb Experts

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    to those of you having sleep issues, this happened to me when i first started cleaning up my diet. gradually it sorts itself out, but what has really helped is no eating after dinner, a very dark room with white noise, a magnesium supplement everyday and epsom salts baths. that last one is recent and i feel so relaxed after it's amazing, truly.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

primal me is offline Member
    I recently had blood work done and the doctor was concerned that my cholesterol is elevated. She asked me to meet with a diet educator to talk about ways to lower my cholesterol through diet. I met with the RN and she showed me the Canada Food Guide with lots of emphasis on "healthy whole grains".

It was a disappointing and frustrating meeting as the discussion was very one-sided. With no baseline to mark a trend they decided that paleo must be causing my cholesterol to go up even though I am losing weight from my belly. I managed to talk them into allowing me 3 months on the diet with no modifications before we do another blood test to get a trend line. If it's coming down then paleo is helping to bring it down and I will make no changes. If it is going up I may consider letting some foods go like *sob* bacon. We will do another test in 6 months as well. I have committed to eating more leafy greens and oily fish like salmon to raise my HDL cholesterol but at this time those are the only changes I am willing to make.

She also sent me for a test for celiac, I think she figures if it comes back negative she will have an argument for me to put grains back in my diet but I don't think she realizes that I am not willing to go back to a way of eating that made me fat and unwell in the first place. I am incredibly frustrated by the closemindedness of our health professionals but I am not particularly surprised by it either and that saddens me.

Has anyone else had their cholesterol go down while following paleo without taking out the usual suspects, (bacon, eggs and all natural fats) and if so approximately how long did it take? I have been eating paleo since mid-June and we have no idea what my cholesterol was like before I started. The last blood work I did was for mortgage insurance about six years ago and there was nothing unusual in the lipids at that time. My belief is that my diet from that time to this year caused my cholesterol to go up and that paleo is bringing it down but without a trend line I have no idea if that is true or not.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!