Page 158 of 183 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 158

Sarahsparkle is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi everyone- I have been reading this thread from start to finish and now my account is approved I can say hi! I am just about to turn 40, in the UK and have had a weight problem since I have been 11 years old- and just got fatter and fatter each year. I have tried pretty much every diet going - and can't believe it is really this simple!

I started primal/paleo eating a week ago- as did DH. We both have lots to lose (I am 5 3 and started at 230lbs DH is 5 11 and 350 )

In just 1 short week I can't believe the tasty food we are eating, my hunger has shrunk, I have lost 7lbs already (DH more) and I feel great

I am being fairly "unstrict" about it- ie having dairy in the form of good cheese, cream, butter, greek yogurt, some fruit and nuts, and not being too worried about the odd portion of starchy veg like potatoes or sweet potatoes

Working great for me so far- I know some of this is water but I can already feel a difference in my clothes

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    Way to go Sarahsparkle!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahsparkle View Post
    Hi everyone- I have been reading this thread from start to finish and now my account is approved I can say hi! I am just about to turn 40, in the UK and have had a weight problem since I have been 11 years old- and just got fatter and fatter each year. I have tried pretty much every diet going - and can't believe it is really this simple!

I started primal/paleo eating a week ago- as did DH. We both have lots to lose (I am 5 3 and started at 230lbs DH is 5 11 and 350 )

In just 1 short week I can't believe the tasty food we are eating, my hunger has shrunk, I have lost 7lbs already (DH more) and I feel great

I am being fairly "unstrict" about it- ie having dairy in the form of good cheese, cream, butter, greek yogurt, some fruit and nuts, and not being too worried about the odd portion of starchy veg like potatoes or sweet potatoes

Working great for me so far- I know some of this is water but I can already feel a difference in my clothes
    Great start, and welcome to thread!

Sounds like you are working into it nicely! Remember the water weight is the first to go - so even though you've seen 7 pounds go in the first week - that is not typical of the weeks to come. Don't get discouraged when the dropping slows down - just keep going! Also -- be really careful on white potatoes. The dairy is not a problem as long as your system can handle it. Keep it to the healthy dairy items that he mentioned and you're good to go!

Have you read the book? If not, I greatly encourage you to do so. There is LOTS of important info in the book that is available on these threads --- but so spread out you'd never find it all. I started out with just finding this website - and then ordered the book when I realized I needed ALL the facts in one place to really do this right.

Read up on how carbs will spike your insulin and the not so good results of that. Nuts and fruits are REALLY healthy --- but in moderation - moderation - moderation!!! I am going very low carb (approx. 30 grams) and having good results! I'm currently doing Mark's 21 Day Challenge - and will be reporting weight loss and behavior changes on Oct. 2nd.

Welcome to better health - and smaller pants! Good luck to you and your hubsand!
    tomi
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

bamems is offline Junior Member
    Hi
    I am brand new to the Primal lifestyle. Thanks for starting the She-Grok thread.
    I was diagnosed with firbromyalgia about 10 years ago. Just when I was in the best shape of my life, the pains started. I refuse to use the pharmaceutical industry to "help" me with my physical pain. I keep moving and just started the primal way of eating on 9/2. I'm very disappointed that I haven't lost weight yet, but am hopeful that once my gut heals a bit and I stop with the sugar, I'll be on my way. One thing at a time.
    Beth

Sarahsparkle is offline Junior Member
    Thanks tomi - I signed up and got all the ebooks and have also read Dr John Briffa and Gary Taubes

If I just carry on losing 1-2 lbs a week and it is this painless then I am good with that

So far I have just had a couple of new potatoes in a nicoise salad- haven't really missed them. We made a great cauliflower cheese puree last night- looked a bit like baby food but tasted delicious!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamems View Post
    Hi
    I am brand new to the Primal lifestyle. Thanks for starting the She-Grok thread.
    I was diagnosed with firbromyalgia about 10 years ago. Just when I was in the best shape of my life, the pains started. I refuse to use the pharmaceutical industry to "help" me with my physical pain. I keep moving and just started the primal way of eating on 9/2. I'm very disappointed that I haven't lost weight yet, but am hopeful that once my gut heals a bit and I stop with the sugar, I'll be on my way. One thing at a time.
    Beth
    Beth, welcome. I didn't suffer from fibromyalgia, but it could have been (never diagnosed). However I ached for about three years after a bout of awful illnesses. I week into primal, I woke up one morning and thought....I am not aching ! I am hoping that this is the case for you too.
    Good luck with your journey, and keep us posted on your progress.
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Do you think it some something specific you were eating that lead to the insomnia? Did you ever pinpoint any certain foods? I ask because I've had some level of insomnia for about 10 years now, but I was doing ok with a benadryl or two (25-50mg) per night. After I went primal last October though, it got worse. Like, walking dead worse. Weeks on end where I never got more than 2-4 hours a night. (
    Mine was caused by my favorite 'cheat' - a glass of wine or a cocktail (or three). When I don't drink, I sleep, all night (like last night, for instance). For a couple nights before my period I still get insomnia, but it's getting better. A few things that also affect my sleep:

- Not enough fat
    - Too much garlic or onions in my dinner (garlic is like speed to me)
    - A dinner heavy in nightshades (ie: tomato sauce or primal chili)
    - When I run or exercise later in the day

However - I am sleeping a ton better after cutting out dairy last week (7th day is today). My sleep is more deep? Uninterrupted? Made some clarified pastured butter and a clarified butter/coconut oil combo for my AM coffee. I didn't even wake up once last night - a first in a long time - even to use the loo.

Historically, one of the best ways of ensuring that I get a full night's sleep is a heavy, heavy strength workout in the morning that hits all major body parts, followed by plenty of protein and fat all day. For some reason my body says 'okay, building time' and will start shutting down at 9pm, I literally have to go to bed. Even when I was eating crappy I worked this way.

Oh and speaking of minor aches and pains - no dairy=my nagging sciatica and hip tightness pain is almost non existant, along with a few spots in my back that are always tight. They're still there, but not annoying.

I also feel much more limber? Not that I've ever been flexible, but it feels like that when I take a minute to stretch it actually works, and my muscles release a bit.

Thanks Gwamma.
    I still hurt a lot with muscle pain, but it's been that way for 8+ years. The odd thing is I was diagnosed with FM when I was in THE best shape of my life. I wasn't a couch potato (ever) and was lean and fit.
    I'm not giving up on the primal way of life yet, that's for sure. It's already "cured" my battle with hot flashes. What a relief there.
    Cheers,
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Beth, welcome. I didn't suffer from fibromyalgia, but it could have been (never diagnosed). However I ached for about three years after a bout of awful illnesses. I week into primal, I woke up one morning and thought....I am not aching ! I am hoping that this is the case for you too.
    Good luck with your journey, and keep us posted on your progress.
    G

If food is bothering my sleep, I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I've tried so many elimination diets over the years. None of them ever had any positive impact on my sleep. I don't do well with caffeine, but I also don't consume any either (not a coffee drinker or soda or even tea).

Over the years I have done a variety of exercising/working out/moving and it has certainly included weight workouts. Thank you for the advice. So far nothing has worked consistently...not drugs (which are an absolute last resort,that I don't even use anymore b/c I"m against big pharma), herbs, meditation, yoga, etc.

I'll keep trying and listening to what others have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodKristina View Post
    Mine was caused by my favorite 'cheat' - a glass of wine or a cocktail (or three). When I don't drink, I sleep, all night (like last night, for instance). For a couple nights before my period I still get insomnia, but it's getting better. A few things that also affect my sleep:

- Not enough fat
    - Too much garlic or onions in my dinner (garlic is like speed to me)
    - A dinner heavy in nightshades (ie: tomato sauce or primal chili)
    - When I run or exercise later in the day

However - I am sleeping a ton better after cutting out dairy last week (7th day is today). My sleep is more deep? Uninterrupted? Made some clarified pastured butter and a clarified butter/coconut oil combo for my AM coffee. I didn't even wake up once last night - a first in a long time - even to use the loo.

Historically, one of the best ways of ensuring that I get a full night's sleep is a heavy, heavy strength workout in the morning that hits all major body parts, followed by plenty of protein and fat all day. For some reason my body says 'okay, building time' and will start shutting down at 9pm, I literally have to go to bed. Even when I was eating crappy I worked this way.