Page 157 of 183 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 157

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Yes there are lots of bugs going around! happens every year when the kids go back to school. I was sick a couple weeks ago with some kind of stomach bug --- didn't throw up, but gagged a alot and everything was going "south" if you get my drift. But if you suspect the bone broth - throw it out.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I've got an intestinal bug. At least I'm not constipated anymore? =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

There is a sunny side to any situation!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Energy! is offline Senior Member

Love this thread, thanks gals!

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I'm following Paleobirds EAT MOAR FAT concept --- 10% carbs 20% proteins 70% fat........... the weight is coming off. Read The Eating Academy website for more good info on why you should eat lots of good healthy fats.
    Thanks also for the referral to The Eating Academy site...I've been reading nutrition blogs, forums, and books galore in the last few weeks due to a recurrance of my ongoing issue, a lack of energy that affects my ability to work and the accompanying weight gain. The cliff notes version of my journey is that in my late 20s I would eat a "healthy" breakfast of Grape Nuts, fat-free sugared yogurt, and a big bowl of fruit then become a zombie by 10 am...literally sitting on the sofa staring into space. Figured out I needed to eat some protein, duh.

Skipping over other dietary misadventures, by my mid-40s was eating 5 times a day and gradually heading towards joining the 200 Pound Club. Stumbled over the Leptin Diet 5 Rules and started following them religiously... got rid of the post-dinner snack, then after a while was able to eliminate the afternoon snack. With no other changes (eating hi veggie, reasonable protein level) gradually went from 185 to 165 in a few months. I'm tall, 5' 11" which can hide weight gain from other people but the pants don't lie!

Now post-M at 53, weight has been creeping up again but the real issue is again an insidious lack of energy and focus for the last few months that eroded my ability to work (am self-employed). Stumbled over The Perfect Diet blog, read their book plus Deep Nutrition, Why We Get Fat, Wheat Belly, etc. plus various blogs/forums and have discovered the joys of eating FAT and not eating grains. Resumed eating coconut oil and cream, drastically cut back on all carbs. Weight gain has stopped and reversed a little but more importantly I can work again. Many more good days than bad, have ambitions again, am cooking up a storm, still not ready for too much exercise yet. Am keeping a log to track food intake plus feelings each day because I still have crash days (e.g. napping all afternoon)...perhaps a detox symptom?

This nutrition stuff is a tad complex but my motto is I will eat or NOT eat just about ANYTHING to feel good. Have enjoyed trying many new (to me) things in the last few weeks...raw salmon eggs, calves liver, chicken heart patè, Kerrygold butter, raw milk cheddar, roasted whole snapper (ate skin and other scary parts), bone broths, etc. Thanks to everyone who is sharing stories on this forum, I need all the clues I can get! Still figuring out what my optimum macro levels are...

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodKristina View Post
    golangrok: When I first started cutting things out and being more paleo, my body didn't like some of the things I ate, especially around dinner time, and I had bouts of tummyaches/nausea. I also suffered from about 3 weeks of horrid insomnia. Lately though I've been sleeping a lot better, I think it just takes awhile for your body to start healing. Get some candied ginger and snack on that, it's pretty effective at helping your tummy settle down.
    Do you think it some something specific you were eating that lead to the insomnia? Did you ever pinpoint any certain foods? I ask because I've had some level of insomnia for about 10 years now, but I was doing ok with a benadryl or two (25-50mg) per night. After I went primal last October though, it got worse. Like, walking dead worse. Weeks on end where I never got more than 2-4 hours a night. I went to several different doctors, not wanting to get hooked on ambien (which they all wanted to prescribe), until finally a naturopath put me on magnesium, serenagen and phosphatidylserine. Now I'm taking all 3 of those PLUS benadryl just so I can get 6 hours of sleep for every 8 I lay in bed.

Very frustrated that I'm having to take so many pills just to get mediocre sleep. I've tried removing each one independently but slept terribly so it seems that I need them all just to eke out my 6 hours. I've got all the other regular sleep hygiene rules covered (blackout curtains, no blue light, etc.) I'm coming up on a year of eating primal though, and honestly I feel worse than I did before! I also have not been able to lose one single lb (or inch). Has anyone else had bad results like this? Have you figured out how to get past it, or did it just go away eventually?

How close to bed do you eat? I found that I sleep best if I have at least 3 hours between me and dinner. Then I found that a bit of carbs about an hour before bed helps me relax even more. but not too much, because then I can't sleep!

Have you ever tried Melatonin? Do you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or both?

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How close to bed do you eat? I found that I sleep best if I have at least 3 hours between me and dinner. Then I found that a bit of carbs about an hour before bed helps me relax even more. but not too much, because then I can't sleep!

Have you ever tried Melatonin? Do you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or both?
    I agree, it's best to leave at least a few hours in between dinner and bedtime. I try but don't always achieve that since my husband works late. I've also tried various snacks to see if they make any difference. And yes I've tried melatonin ... I don't find a noticeable difference with or without it so I'd rather go without in the quest for fewer pills.

The thing I find odd is that this was never such a problem before I went paleo. Now I'm meticulously downing a cocktail of pills, closing my blackout curtains, hiding from the blue light my tv emits (hubby likes to watch at night), running in fear from the tiniest chocolate chip (lest I consume any caffeine), running an air cleaner for white noise ... and I still can't get even the same quality of sleep I got before paleo. I'm just baffled because I feel like it should have gotten better even without all these measures, and to have it be worse even with everything ... well it just doesn't make sense. Everyone else seems to have nothing but great experiences with paleo so I feel like a freak of nature!

Are you eating low carb, high carb, high fat etc.? the first time I did low-carb, I slept really poorly, but this time, I'm sleeping really well. Not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure I'm eating different things (I eat plenty of yogurt, but not enough to go over 50g/day probably).

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Do you think it some something specific you were eating that lead to the insomnia? Did you ever pinpoint any certain foods? I ask because I've had some level of insomnia for about 10 years now, but I was doing ok with a benadryl or two (25-50mg) per night. After I went primal last October though, it got worse. Like, walking dead worse. Weeks on end where I never got more than 2-4 hours a night. I went to several different doctors, not wanting to get hooked on ambien (which they all wanted to prescribe), until finally a naturopath put me on magnesium, serenagen and phosphatidylserine. Now I'm taking all 3 of those PLUS benadryl just so I can get 6 hours of sleep for every 8 I lay in bed.

Very frustrated that I'm having to take so many pills just to get mediocre sleep. I've tried removing each one independently but slept terribly so it seems that I need them all just to eke out my 6 hours. I've got all the other regular sleep hygiene rules covered (blackout curtains, no blue light, etc.) I'm coming up on a year of eating primal though, and honestly I feel worse than I did before! I also have not been able to lose one single lb (or inch). Has anyone else had bad results like this? Have you figured out how to get past it, or did it just go away eventually?
    I feel for you. I went through periods when I woke every 2 hours all night and was lucky to get 6 hours.*sigh* I agree about eating a few carbs (my favorite is broccoli or rabe with butter and lemon and pepper) a little before bed being helpful. I also experienced some old familiar anxiety last night and realized my fat intake was too low...Have you tried Valerian root? It smells like old socks so be prepared if you try it...taken about a half hour before bed it is gentle and effective. It doesn't leave you with after effects. Just a thought.

Happily I've been sleeping very well on primal. Good luck to you and hopefully with all the good minds here you will figure out what's going on.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've suffered with insomnia for many years. I finally discovered a pill called "knock out" by Schiff. Its Melatonin, Glycine, L-Theanine, Valerian Extract (*natures valium), and GABA. PLUS: Vitamin B6, Calcium and Magnesium in very minute amounts. You take it an hour before you want to go to sleep. It makes me very sleepy! I fall asleep easily, but still wake up several times to go potty or whatever. I don't know exactly how many hours I sleep - probablly a good 8 even with the wake ups. Falling back to sleep is never a problem. You might ditch the pills you have and give this a try. I get them at the grocery in the health food section.

As for weight........... calorie restriction is still necessary to lose weight even when you're eating all the right foods. However, not every calorie is the same. Carbs will slow down weight loss in some women - I try to keep mine VERY LOW! Like under 30 grams.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation