Page 155 of 183 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 155

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Has anybody else ever had this experience?

I've been Primal about a month. Last week, I had a small "off" day, where I had some juice, chicken nuggets, HFCS ketchup, but nothing AWFUL like chocolate cake. I had lost 5 lbs prior to that (down to 164), then when I weighed, I had GAINED that and then some (169.5)! So I've been waiting for this water weight to come off, but it seriously isn't going anywhere. This was a week ago. I've severely restricted carbs since but yesterday I had a few pieces of fruit, including a banana, and today I'm up past 170 (171.5).

I feel gross and look gross - and all around during Primal I've gained 1.5 inches on the waist and 2 on the hips. I'm hardly eating. What the eff is going on? I've cut out dairy, I'm having a square of dark chocolate once a week, servings of nuts two or three times.

This stuff might be relevant -
    I am incessantly thirsty since becoming Primal. I'm drinking 1.5 L + a day but I'm still craving more.

I never had carb flu initially or unmanageable cravings but I have them now.

I have started strength training at the gym.

My sleep is disturbed, I'm a terrible insomniac and I can't stay asleep. Melatonin doesn't help, tryptophan doesn't help.

I was (am?) pre-diabetic, with really shoddy insulin (my crashes are being managed with Primal, no serious symptoms)

I'm doing all the "Primal" things, making bone broth, sucking marrow out...I'm even looking into organ meats.

I have PCOS and a very irregular cycle, which might mean my period is coming soon.

I'm disheartened and annoyed. I can't stand the idea of eating eggs or meat anymore, I just don't have an appetite, but I can't IF because it triggers binges for me. It just sucks all around and I want to give up and drive to the nearest Mrs. Fields.
    Last edited by golangrok; 09-12-2012 at 01:18 AM.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    What's your normal/primal diet like? Show us a normal day (or a few days) worth of food for you.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You may not be consuming enough salt if you're drinking that much water. You may not be eating enough food to give your body the nutrients it needs to begin healing itself. I gain weight if I don't eat enough, as weird as that may sound.

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    I also gain weight when I'm not eating enough -- especially when I am strength training/working out a lot. I can pick up a ton of water weight/bloat that takes a few days to go away, even when I get back to eating enough. But I agree with MissJecka, it would help to see what a normal eating day is like for you.
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You should see me after a long hike. Maybe I'll take a picture one of these days. I have a belly like a beach ball. That's what a long workout does to me!

I haven't had the experience of eating a bunch of junk food and then gaining lots of weight but that's only because I haven't eaten a bunch of junk food. I do find that there is usually a delay for both the weight gain and weight loss, making it hard to know exactly what did what. It is possible that your weight gain was not from the junk food but from your every-day primal diet. Perhaps you are just eating too many calories. The whole point of this she-grok thread was how things work differently for us women. For a lot of us it means we have to keep an eye on calories. No matter how inviting primal is with it's no calorie tracking needed message, for many women calories still matter. In fact, I think for almost anything on the primal blueprint there should be an asterisk implied that for women, it might work differently.

Anyway, I was pretty insulin resistant (do you ever really heal from that I wonder?) I got great results eating a high fat, low carb diet. I didn't actually lose any weight for the first month or so. Then I got desperate and took pictures of all my food for a whole week, every bite. I noticed that I restrained myself a little more than usual because of the embarrassment of posting the pictures online. The weight loss began after that week. Also, the adaptation happened after that week plus at the end of that week I felt so awful I finally learned about sodium, potassium and magnesium and took some and ahh, felt soooo much better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Here a few days of eating that I wrote down a few weeks ago. I don't think it's changed too much.
    I average from 1700-1900 and eat about 60% fat, 25% protein, 15% carb. That's when I remember to eat three meals.

2 tbs. butter
    3 eggs
    25g cheese
    3c spinach

5oz steak
    1/2c lamb/tomato stew
    1/2c eggplant/sausage bake

1/3c cream
    60g dark chocolate with almonds

1 chick breast
    1 chick thigh
    small amount okra/eggplant
    5 figs

10 dark chocolate-covered macadamia nuts

2 chick legs
    1 tbs ghee
    3.5c lettuce
    1 cucumber
    1/4c red cabbage
    1 tsp balsalmic vinegar
    2 tsp EVOO

Today -
    4 eggs cooked in ghee, drizzled with homemade mayo
    Some seaweed
    A few tbls. coconut butter

One massive serving broccoli/cauliflower/zucchini soup made with bone broth, drizzled with 1 tbs. walnut oil

That's all. I'll probably eat some homemade meatballs later but again, I never have an appetite.
    Does anyone have any ideas for appetite stimulants??

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Apples always make me hungry, but most other fruits I've had don't! Then again, my go-to fruits are only apples, oranges, and bananas. I have yet to venture out more than that. I used to be a very picky eater and didn't really eat fruit from adolescence till now (so there's at least 10 years that I rarely ate fruit).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Question: Are you eating because you're hungry?

I know you said IF may trigger binge-eating, but instead of thinking about it as "fasting", try just listening to your body.

For me, I was on the bandwagon of "six mini-meals per day! eat every 2 hours!" for years. Now I decided to listen to my body... and I found out that I'm not hungry in the morning! I only used to eat breakfast because Quaker and Eggo and Kashi told me to! I end up getting hungry anywhere between 11:00am and noon, so that's when I eat. I eat until I'm full... TRULY full. Then I'm not hungry again until 7... sometimes 8pm! I eat until I'm full, again, sometimes incorporating a sweet treat (like almond butter and an apple) in there.

So, I personally only eat between 11:30am and 7:30pm... so folks may call me an IF-er who does 8/16... but I just say that I eat when I'm hungry.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Alright, I just had dinner - some fish sauteed in ghee, topped with tahini/sesame oil sauce and a chopped cuke.

I'm a recovering bulimic that put myself on a severely calorie restricted diet for about 9 months starting last year and ending this summer. I was only eating 500 fat-free calories a day the days I didn't binge, and I was stuffing everything in the house down my face and bringing it back up multiple times a week, sometimes multiple times a day

Even after I stopped purging I still had a deprived/desperate attitude towards food. So I don't think I should IF or restrict at all. I really do lose control, binge, and loss my ability to feel satisfied. I was still somewhat full from my soup earlier before I just ate that fish, but I knew I needed protein, and so I just ate it. I wasn't hungry but I feel good now. Sometimes after I eat I feel just awful -nauseous and like the food won't digest. I figure it's all the damage I incurred on my gut.

I usually go to bed on an empty stomach nowadays, then eat after the gym (around a 12+ hour fast). I don't like to go longer than that.
    Last edited by golangrok; 09-12-2012 at 10:50 AM.

WAIT A SECOND. I'm just thinking now. I'm having these digestive issues - maybe my lack of appetite is that kind of lack you get when you're sick? Your body is busy repairing so it doesn't want food...I don't know how to go about this. Maybe I should try a fast. But I'm still really worried about the deprivation and binging.
    I also read on another thread that eating extremely low calorie for an extended amount of time can depress your hunger signals - but I would get hungry when I wasn't Primal, post restrictive diet.
    I'm going to go do my sprint soon and see if that clears anything up.