Page 152 of 183 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 152

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    just a few minutes on the interwebz and you will find that EVERYTHING may cause cancer.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    just a few minutes on the interwebz and you will find that EVERYTHING may cause cancer.
    If you were referring to the dairy:breast cancer studies, to me it has some merit after reading books like The China Study. From what I remember about the UW-Madison research, it wasn't about any dairy consumption, just the amount. It would be interesting to see if anyone has followed up by doing studies using raw dairy products. Doubtful.

That brings up another topic: anybody use raw dairy? I'm so tempted, but my physician husband is opposed for 'safety' concerns.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    This reminds me...

My boyfriend has to be on watch anytime I feel a twitch or cramp or something, because I will rush to WebMD to see what's wrong with me. I'm the queen of self-diagnosis! Luckily I don't get sick often.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I purchase raw cream. I also will purchase European cheeses and bonus points for raw cheese. Then I know it's the good stuff.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    If you were referring to the dairy:breast cancer studies, to me it has some merit after reading books like The China Study. From what I remember about the UW-Madison research, it wasn't about any dairy consumption, just the amount. It would be interesting to see if anyone has followed up by doing studies using raw dairy products. Doubtful.

That brings up another topic: anybody use raw dairy? I'm so tempted, but my physician husband is opposed for 'safety' concerns.
    I buy raw milk every week. I drink it in my morning lattes and also make raw yogurt with it. Raw yogurt is different in that you have to make sure to not heat it above 118 F so the enzymes won't die ... normal yogurt is heated to 180 F. Anyway, I consume it daily and have never had any issue with it, even when it's at the point of turning (and it doesn't go rancid like pasteurized milk, it goes sour like sour cream). Anyway, the case against raw milk is vastly overstated. Try researching it and you can find that the CDC claims 2 deaths, but then when you actually look into it they say 2 deaths "associated" with it ... as in the people consumed raw dairy in some form (cheese, milk, who knows) before getting sick, along with other foods, and the CDC never figured out what food caused it. One of the raw milk groups pressured them to provide details like date, location, etc. but they refused to provide any backup data at all. So basically, there is no proof that anyone has died from raw dairy over the course of many years ... but there are many cases of people dying from pasteurized dairy, vegetables, tainted meat, etc.

All this said, I would not buy it unless I had visited the farm personally and seen the cows and facility. Holsteins, the black and white spotted cows we all associate with milk, are actually not a good breed at all for raw dairy. They have been bred so long just for milk volume that they now produce upwards of 10-15 gallons per day (vs. 4-6 for jersey), but it only has ~3.5% milkfat (vs. 5-7% for jersey) and the poor animals are very prone to mastitis which requires antibiotics to treat. Another random fact ... they cannot even breed on their own anymore, because breeding strictly for milk production has created an animal with hips so weak that the cow cannot hold up the weight of a bull ... just tells you how artificial the breed really is at this point. Anyway, if you can find a clean farm running jerseys, guernseys, or a similar breed on strictly grass, no antibiotics ... then go for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I purchase raw cream. I also will purchase European cheeses and bonus points for raw cheese. Then I know it's the good stuff.
    i get european sheep and goat cheese because i figure it's more likely the critters actually ate grass and not grain. kerrygold makes ok grass-fed cheddar.

Cheese expert will visit St. Louis : Stltoday

imported cheeses that began as raw, like brie, must be aged 60 days before they can be sold in the u.s. i've had some smuggled, illegal raw cheese, but they are very hard to find.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    If you were referring to the dairy:breast cancer studies, to me it has some merit after reading books like The China Study.
    The China Study: Fact or Fallacy? Raw Food SOS

this contains her own info, plus links to scientific articles, explaining that the data within the china study does NOT support its conclusions or recommendations.

Ernest Hemingway

I live in remote Alaskan and depend on shipping for lots of special needs items. I've been getting raw cheeses through US Wellness Meats. I can't find a source for raw cream anywhere, but I'm working on that. US Wellness is a great source for so many primal things. I've especially enjoyed their liverwurst and bacon.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    This reminds me...

My boyfriend has to be on watch anytime I feel a twitch or cramp or something, because I will rush to WebMD to see what's wrong with me. I'm the queen of self-diagnosis! Luckily I don't get sick often.
    All of my Google searches are preceded by "home remedy" or "natural remedy" now.

Gut update for anyone interested: I'm reaching Fiber Menace. i believe my issue is gut dysbiosis, which means my intestinal flora is totally jacked up and causing my constipation. Somewhat relieving to have an idea of what's going on! Still eating yogurt like a mad woman, it's great. My second batch came out beautifully and I'm making more soon (because I'm running out!). It lasts me about a week, since I don't always limit myself to one serving a day. I might look into making kefir, since it sounds like it's pretty easy.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i get european sheep and goat cheese because i figure it's more likely the critters actually ate grass and not grain. kerrygold makes ok grass-fed cheddar.

Cheese expert will visit St. Louis : Stltoday

imported cheeses that began as raw, like brie, must be aged 60 days before they can be sold in the u.s. i've had some smuggled, illegal raw cheese, but they are very hard to find.
    Mmm. Aged cheese drooolllll....
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2