Page 151 of 183 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 151

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    I can only imagine what a 'mall walker' is? I'm not certain we have the equivalent over here!

I wonder if there are specific foods (other than cutting out gluten/wheat, which I already do) that have an anti-inflammatory action? *scurries off to google and search PB*
    We havent got any what you would call malls by us, we have shopping estates nearby with a couple of big shops on the complex.
    However embarrassingly enough I quite like to walk around the shops of an evening if I have nothing else to do.
    I suppose I am an estate walker!!!!!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    We don't have malls where I live because we have nice weather year round and our redevelopment agencies always turn down things like that anyway. Our malls are always outdoor. There's a tendency to put a lot of planters and fountains and vendor carts and dining tables in the way to slow down all the walking, so you never can really walk in any of our malls.

If I lived in Minnesota or something for sure I'd probably become a mall walker, especially if I was older and had the time to hang out with my geezer buds.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

I worked in a mall a few years ago and learned about the mall walking community. It was kind of fascinating! When I would open the bookstore I worked at 9:00 am, the walkers would be just finishing up. The mall opened early for them, at 8:00. It was a large group of older folks, who looked to be great friends. They would conclude in the food court, small cups of Dunkin' Donuts coffees all around. It's great to see seniors not just exercising regularly, but socializing. I think it's easy to get isolated later in life, and they seemed to have a way to combat this. That, and it's just too darn cold and icy for some people in New England to walk outside in the winter.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    "Mall walkers" go to indoor malls and get their exercise by walking around in the air conditioning/heat. Heaven forbod they should ever be out in nature. Generally, they're older people, so I can't pick on them too much.
    Mall walkers traditionally (here) wear shiny track suits from the 1970s and orthopedic walking shoes. They go around in circles before the mall stores open, and scowl at those who get in their way. They have been known to trample little children.

I mention fighting becoming a 'mall walker', because that to me symbolizes an end to an era, so to speak. I want to be that nutty lady in the crazy hat riding her bike home from the co-op with either a dog or a bag of produce in her basket! I don't want my scoliosis to win... and reduce my activity level to mall walking. Nothing against mall walkers, per se.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 09-04-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Lots of advice about anti-inflammatory foods. I try to use a lot of turmeric, cinnamon, garlic and parsley. I only eat grass fed beef or wild caught salmon and I live on cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower/broccoli/cabbage).

I am smirking over the way my mall walker comment has sparked conversation. I didn't intend to offend anyone, but I went through a period of time where my back/emotional state really limited my activity level and I grabbed on to that image as something to avoid IN MY 40s! When I am 80? I'll be the first to run over a toddler on my way past The Gap or Williams Sonoma... but still no track suit.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    We well this has turned out to be quite the exercise in American culture! Very interesting.

I've done a bit of research onto anti inflammatory foods and I came up with the above also PHaselow. Also green tea and blueberries. I'm also thinking about reducing my dairy as this looks like its a number one culprit for inflammation after grains of course. I don't do a lot of dairy, but I am quite partial to latte's and cheese on my morning omelette, maybe I'll see if increasing my anti inflammatory foods helps first.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Trust me, I wasn't offended. I figure that we do what we need to do, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to day "no, not yet!"

I think that one of the benefits of mall-walking for seniors in particular is that, like babies, they have a tough time regulating their body temperatures, so exercising and socializing in a controlled environment is a good plan. But when you're younger, it's not as necessary, unless you have some specialized needs.

Also, I do think that seniors can be more adaptive -- if they are out and about and working on getting their bodies accustomed to various extremes. It's just that we spend so much of our lives indoors these days, you know? Body doesn't know how to adapt, and really, emotionally people struggle with the weather.

I remember visiting my husband at work, and talking with the secretary when I would go and visit. We would always talk about the weather. COld weather was terrible. Hot weather was terrible. Rain and snow were Terrible. And if was really terrible if the weather was perfect but she "had to work." I suggested going for a walk on her break, but she just wouldn't do it. So weird.

For me, weather is really cool. I love all kinds of weather and I like to be out in it. maybe not caught out in it, but I love going for walks in the snow, or rain, or sun, or when it's hot or cold or anything in between.

What I don't like is a freezing movie theater in the heat of summer. I usually had adapted to the heat, so. . . yeah. freezing! I used to carry a jacket with me to the movies in summer.

I agree about the weather. I love all kinds. Wind, rain, snow, cold. Makes you feel alive. On Saturday I rode my bike 10 miles to a favorite berry picking spot. It started raining, so I pulled out my rain gear and picked berries for hours in the rain, then rode home in the rain. It was great! Of course, knowing I was going home to a warm house and a bath helps tremendously. She Grok didn't have that to come home to.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Ah, that was what I was thinking, and nope, we don't have that here. Our 'malls' are too small for a start and besides who wouldn't want to walk around outside in NZ? This is where I walked 11km on the weekend with my son: http://www.arikibackpackers.com/phot...large/walk.jpg
    Jealous..............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

PrimalCon New York
    I'm also thinking about reducing my dairy as this looks like its a number one culprit for inflammation after grains of course. I don't do a lot of dairy, but I am quite partial to latte's and cheese on my morning omelette, maybe I'll see if increasing my anti inflammatory foods helps first.
    There is a (female) researcher out of the UW-Madison who published a study a while back linking dairy consumption to breast cancer. As you can imagine, coming out of the Dairy State raised quite a stir. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Perhaps she has mysteriously disappeared. This was less than 10 years ago.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel