Page 150 of 183 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 150

Primal Fuel
    Hi there She-Groks. Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I've been lurking here and there, even started a journal on another site. But I keep coming back here.

I've lost 54 pounds since January, still losing about a pound a week with Primal and IF. I consider myself lucky to be able to harvest local fish, game and berries. Primal is a no brainer for me, I'm just glad I was able to be open to this way of thinking. I'm coming out the other side of years of pain, depression and weight gain. I'm 48, 2 years post hip replacement, post menopausal (early due to pain and stress, I think) and interested in doing all I can to improve my health. I have arthritis in most of my joints due to SAD, family history, overweight and overuse. My pain levels have decreased greatly, my goal is to never have another joint replacement surgery. I bike for exercise because I can't do most of the things I would prefer do be doing.

I gain a lot of motivation and knowledge from MDA and am thankful for threads like this. Best of continued success to your all.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    My biggest fear is having to put on a shiny track suit and becoming a mall walker due to my back issues. I will fight that one to the death!
    I can only imagine what a 'mall walker' is? I'm not certain we have the equivalent over here!

I wonder if there are specific foods (other than cutting out gluten/wheat, which I already do) that have an anti-inflammatory action? *scurries off to google and search PB*

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by windypasswheeler View Post
    I consider myself lucky to be able to harvest local fish, game and berries.
    I consider you lucky, too! I really should get me a fishing pole. I have a whole entire ocean out there. Not too many berries, and I think the only thing to hunt around here is deer and bandtail pigeon. I wouldn't mind trying to hunt deer, but I have to tell you, those suckers are elusive and can they ever dash up a hill! I'd never be able to follow one.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    I can only imagine what a 'mall walker' is? I'm not certain we have the equivalent over here!
    "Mall walkers" go to indoor malls and get their exercise by walking around in the air conditioning/heat. Heaven forbod they should ever be out in nature. Generally, they're older people, so I can't pick on them too much.

And in case anyone gets their panties in a wad, yes I do know how hot/cold it can get "in nature". I work outside in the desert, which is known for its extreme swings in temperature.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    "Mall walkers" go to indoor malls and get their exercise by walking around in the air conditioning/heat. Heaven forbod they should ever be out in nature. Generally, they're older people, so I can't pick on them too much.
    Ah, that was what I was thinking, and nope, we don't have that here. Our 'malls' are too small for a start and besides who wouldn't want to walk around outside in NZ? This is where I walked 11km on the weekend with my son: http://www.arikibackpackers.com/phot...large/walk.jpg

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Ah, that was what I was thinking, and nope, we don't have that here. Our 'malls' are too small for a start and besides who wouldn't want to walk around outside in NZ? This is where I walked 11km on the weekend with my son: http://www.arikibackpackers.com/phot...large/walk.jpg
    That is beautiful! I'm jealous!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Yeah its pretty special. For my work we are planning a walking relay from the beginning to the end of this walkway, so it was my job on the weekend to figure out the approximate times between each relay point for planning. Its a hard job........

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Two things:

1) Read Mark's workout. It's free (you have to sign up for a newsletter that you can then unsub), it's all body-weight exercises (no gym!), and it's good. It's not grunt grunt 100# backsquat grunt grunt, but it's going to get your body conditioned. The exercises consist of: push-ups, plank, pull-ups, and squats. If you can't do pull-ups, find some other similar exercise or get creative. We bought a pull-up bar, but it's currently in storage due to impending movage. I've been doing 8# arm curls -- not really the same at all, but it's better than nothing. >snip<
    Thank you for bringing that up, onalark. As a matter of fact, although I joined two years ago and downloaded the free workout, I cannot open it. This happens with random things; I think it's just some sort of interface failure.

Has anyone else had this problem? I had forgotten all about it until now, and now that I remembered ... I really want it! Maybe if I sent a SASE to the business address, he'd print it. How big is it? Would a standard business envelope do? Or should I send a manila envelope.

Thank you

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Thank you for bringing that up, onalark. As a matter of fact, although I joined two years ago and downloaded the free workout, I cannot open it. This happens with random things; I think it's just some sort of interface failure.

Has anyone else had this problem? I had forgotten all about it until now, and now that I remembered ... I really want it! Maybe if I sent a SASE to the business address, he'd print it. How big is it? Would a standard business envelope do? Or should I send a manila envelope.

Thank you
    It's also printed in the "21 Day Total Body Transformation" book that came out earlier this year.

Alternately, it may be that you need to update Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can do so here: Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Good luck!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'll be honest, when DS was a baby, we did a lot of hiking, but I also did a lot of mall walking.

He was born in August, and throughout the fall, I would take us out on nice long hikes. My day was pretty much drive DH to work, grab some breakfast and breastfeed him, and then wrap him up and we'd go out on a nice hike in Valley Forge park. I'd have packed lunch, nurse him again (he was on demand fed anyway), he'd have a nap (we both usually would), and then I'd go for another little walk and go pick up DH, and then go and teach a yoga class.

By the time we hit December and January, though, the temperatures were very cold. Yes, I had enough 'gear' for us, and I would still go outside for at least 2 hrs a day, but the reality is that it was hard to hike in those temperatures with the baby and know that he was safe and sound. it worried me. Maybe it shouldn't have.

So, I relied on the local mall. I could get in the milage that was good for us, and it kept us occupied and healthy. The shop keepers got to know us, and one of them let us use her office in the back as a nursing and napping place. She even brought in an air mattress (so nice of her). It was great.

I met a lot of people too -- mostly seniors -- and by the time we hit april, DS was crawling a lot as well. So, our mall walking involved him getting a move-on, too. people loved it. It snows from late Jan through March, so it was much easier to just be in the mall and enjoy our time together out and about. A couple of the local malls also had playgrounds, where he really learned a lot kinesthetically. He was climbing stairs and using slides before he was 8 months old -- on his own. He was quite capable then. Other mothers thought I was nuts. But this is still not unusual.

I remember that time really fondly, and I don't think it's that bad of an option for people when you are in certain circumstances. It is a little community, and the seniors in that mall actually did a lot of nifty fundraisers -- like "walking to california" as a mileage marker and raising money for charity in the doing. It was a pretty big deal, actually, and the mall supported it.

So, while I acknowledge the reality of wanting to stay away from there for any number of reasons (all good), there might be a time and place for it. I found a community there for my son and I, and it was really nice.