Page 148 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 148

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tough week- kids all started school again on Monday, my husband is traveling, I am carting kids to all their sports activities by myself just about every night, and filling out school forms while working full time. I got a little bit off diet this week and I wasn't sleeping as well, having to get up earlier to get kids on bus . My bp of course is back up so I am very motivated to be stricter on primal. I just feel better and have more energy. I plan on enjoying my three day weekend, shopping and cooking lots of delicious primal food. I cooked extra tonight so I have plenty for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavequeen View Post
    Tough week- kids all started school again on Monday, my husband is traveling, I am carting kids to all their sports activities by myself just about every night, and filling out school forms while working full time. I got a little bit off diet this week and I wasn't sleeping as well, having to get up earlier to get kids on bus . My bp of course is back up so I am very motivated to be stricter on primal. I just feel better and have more energy. I plan on enjoying my three day weekend, shopping and cooking lots of delicious primal food. I cooked extra tonight so I have plenty for lunch and dinner tomorrow.
    You can do it! Good job on the planning for the weekend! Happy cooking!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Going camping with my [non-primal] boyfriend through Sunday. Packed granola bars for his snacks, hot dog buns for his hot dogs, and foil-wrapped potatoes for his sides. I also plan on buying marshmallows. But, for me, I have a few larabars, macadamia nuts, and two apples (for roasting on the fire maybe!). For the both of us I have Applewood Farms brand no-added-nitrate organic grass-fed beef hot dogs and chicken sausages. Though the boy will be having potatoes, I pre-sliced a green pepper to cook in my new cast-iron skillet and cubed an eggplant to cook over the fire like a kabob!

What have you guys brought camping before?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Going camping with my [non-primal] boyfriend through Sunday. Packed granola bars for his snacks, hot dog buns for his hot dogs, and foil-wrapped potatoes for his sides. I also plan on buying marshmallows. But, for me, I have a few larabars, macadamia nuts, and two apples (for roasting on the fire maybe!). For the both of us I have Applewood Farms brand no-added-nitrate organic grass-fed beef hot dogs and chicken sausages. Though the boy will be having potatoes, I pre-sliced a green pepper to cook in my new cast-iron skillet and cubed an eggplant to cook over the fire like a kabob!

What have you guys brought camping before?
    I love to camp! I always bring steaks for the campfire grill, tomatoes to slice, maybe a potato to bake in the coals, eggs and bacon for breakfast, bags of lettuce, and for lunches - at camp or hiking - natural cold cuts with lettuce wraps. For snacky foods, I like Quest Bars, nuts, seaweed snacks, carrots, celery with peanut butter, etc. If we stay two nights, we will usually have burgers or dogs and if its Fall camping then I will make a pot of beef stew in a dutch oven. My hubby usually brings some chocolate chips for himself - to mix with the nuts - I'm not too much into sweet foods (meat and potatoes girl). Unfortunately it was too hot in Virginia this summer to camp - maybe this fall.

MarieD is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to this forum and have spent two evenings enjoying this thread. I'm in my 50's, post-menopausal, mother of three grown boys, grandmother of one. I'm a banker and have a totally sedentary job, working spreadsheets on a computer 9 hours a day. I have let my weight creep up frustratingly over the past two years and have been working with a doctor for over a year to get the hormones right (bio-identical estriol and progesterone) and cut down the hot flashes. I have some arthritis and acid reflux - both of which disappear when I cut the grains and sugar out of my diet. I'm 5"7", 181 lbs, pear-shaped (thin from the waist up, though with menopause my formerly thin waist has expanded). I am a long time low-carber, but get frustrated from time to time and say, "screw it" and eat what I want - usually while on a vacation I've tried to lose weight for and failed. I have a closet full of pants I can't wear so I wear skirts every day to help hide my thighs. I work out at a gym fairly faithfully 3-4 days a week combining 45 mins cardio with about 20 minutes weights - the bare minimum I know, but I usually go after work from 6:30 - 7:45pm. I have a lot of stress in my life with job and husband who is "between jobs". Now the good: I decided to try Weight Watchers about a month ago since the points plus system allows a wide variation of foods and is finally conducive to low carb eating. I decided that the only way I can lose weight is to cut my food portions across the board - I was eating large quantities of meat, adding fat, while keeping carbs under 50. Wasn't working. So I decided to use WW to help me control portions. It's working! I basically eat 3 1/2 oz of protein each meal, add veggies and occasional fruits, add in a couple of protein-heavy snacks, drink lots of water and stay within my 26 alloted points. Who knew that I could be full after 3 oz meat? I have always eaten about 8 oz at least at dinner time - usually ribeye or other fatty cut. I've substituted Applegate Organic Beef Hot Dogs (great breakfast), grass-fed tenderloin (I can afford it if I'm eating only 3 oz or so), roasted freerange chicken (no skin, sadly), scallops and shrimp, and lean farmers market pork. And pastured eggs. Then I supplement the low fat content of the meat with Carlsen's lemon fish oil, a little butter, coconut oil, whatever fits. The only grain food I allow myself is occasionally 2 organic corn tortillas from WF when I make taco meat or carnitas. No sugar, very little dairy (I allow myself 1/2 c cottage cheese, a Tbl sour cream, and up to 1/2 oz cheese at a time). By golly, it's working as I have lost 10 lbs. I never thought I would lose weight again - I thought I was "different" than other folks and had no metabolism whatsoever. It tuns out that portion control for me is key - and I can still eat good paleo whole foods and not experience hunger. BTW my husband eats very low carb - but has his chcolate in the evenings and a few light beers a week. I've given up alcohol and sweets completely. Many whole foods are very low in WW points -win win. That's my story!

Zoebea34 is offline Junior Member
    Hi ladies I've been browsing this site/ post for quite a while now and just wanted to say hello. My name is Zoe and I'm 34 yrs old from the uk. I have been primal for 5 weeks and have lost 15lb so far but aside from the weight loss I FEEL FAB, I never dreamed I'd be able to follow this lifestyle but it has come so easy (apart from my love of vodka and diet coke ). I just need to start exercising now but with two daughters and a job don't have a lot of time or money, any suggestions xx

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
    I'm new to this forum and have spent two evenings enjoying this thread. I'm in my 50's, post-menopausal, mother of three grown boys, grandmother of one. I'm a banker and have a totally sedentary job, working spreadsheets on a computer 9 hours a day. I have let my weight creep up frustratingly over the past two years and have been working with a doctor for over a year to get the hormones right (bio-identical estriol and progesterone) and cut down the hot flashes. I have some arthritis and acid reflux - both of which disappear when I cut the grains and sugar out of my diet. I'm 5"7", 181 lbs, pear-shaped (thin from the waist up, though with menopause my formerly thin waist has expanded). I am a long time low-carber, but get frustrated from time to time and say, "screw it" and eat what I want - usually while on a vacation I've tried to lose weight for and failed. I have a closet full of pants I can't wear so I wear skirts every day to help hide my thighs. I work out at a gym fairly faithfully 3-4 days a week combining 45 mins cardio with about 20 minutes weights - the bare minimum I know, but I usually go after work from 6:30 - 7:45pm. I have a lot of stress in my life with job and husband who is "between jobs". Now the good: I decided to try Weight Watchers about a month ago since the points plus system allows a wide variation of foods and is finally conducive to low carb eating. I decided that the only way I can lose weight is to cut my food portions across the board - I was eating large quantities of meat, adding fat, while keeping carbs under 50. Wasn't working. So I decided to use WW to help me control portions. It's working! I basically eat 3 1/2 oz of protein each meal, add veggies and occasional fruits, add in a couple of protein-heavy snacks, drink lots of water and stay within my 26 alloted points. Who knew that I could be full after 3 oz meat? I have always eaten about 8 oz at least at dinner time - usually ribeye or other fatty cut. I've substituted Applegate Organic Beef Hot Dogs (great breakfast), grass-fed tenderloin (I can afford it if I'm eating only 3 oz or so), roasted freerange chicken (no skin, sadly), scallops and shrimp, and lean farmers market pork. And pastured eggs. Then I supplement the low fat content of the meat with Carlsen's lemon fish oil, a little butter, coconut oil, whatever fits. The only grain food I allow myself is occasionally 2 organic corn tortillas from WF when I make taco meat or carnitas. No sugar, very little dairy (I allow myself 1/2 c cottage cheese, a Tbl sour cream, and up to 1/2 oz cheese at a time). By golly, it's working as I have lost 10 lbs. I never thought I would lose weight again - I thought I was "different" than other folks and had no metabolism whatsoever. It tuns out that portion control for me is key - and I can still eat good paleo whole foods and not experience hunger. BTW my husband eats very low carb - but has his chcolate in the evenings and a few light beers a week. I've given up alcohol and sweets completely. Many whole foods are very low in WW points -win win. That's my story!
    Hi MarieD,
    I have had a similar experience, I have 3 boys, though not as old as yours - 19. 16 and 9. My job is totally sedentary, though I force myself to go for a walk at lunch time.
    I wasn't losing weight despite being low carb and going the gym several times a week. I also followed WW, still staying low carb and not eating processed food. Over the last 6 months I have gone from approx 180lb to 154lb (I have put on a couple of lb the last week or so due to holidays.)
    I think WW are realising that non processed food isn't good for weight loss, mind that doesn't stop them selling their chocolate bars etc.
    The main things I do different t o you is I don't eat any tortillas and I eat the chicken skin.
    When my weight loss stalled I found not eating fruit helped. I read the Gary Taubes book and really reduced my carbs.
    Good luck with your weigh loss.

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Eating primal really helps my bp, my bp this morning 109/72 without meds. Yeah, me! Now, if I could just lose 15 more lbs. I will need to get stricter though and workout more to get back down there though I think.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I'm following Paleobirds EAT MOAR FAT concept --- 10% carbs 20% proteins 70% fat........... the weight is coming off. Read The Eating Academy website for more good info on why you should eat lots of good healthy fats.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoebea34 View Post
    I just need to start exercising now but with two daughters and a job don't have a lot of time or money, any suggestions xx
    Same situation here, can't/won't pay for a gym I don't have time to go to, 2 little kids that are too small to leave at home alone while I exercise, but too annoying and big to take with me! Oh, and a husband who is willing to watch the kids while I exercise, but who works most daylight hours - so unless I take up moonlit walks.......

I did do C25K a few years ago, which is running aided by podcasts three times a week (doable for the most part). Once a week I can usually get out for some one on one time with my oldest - he's 6 - and I walk/run while he rides his bike. I also have some Zumba DVD's which I picked up cheap online so I can get that going in the evenings when the kids go to bed.

Its hard trying to fit in exercise, but if you get committed to it you'll find less excuses.