Page 146 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 146

Thistle5 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I've just started, working on changing my own way of eating first, & everyone who lives here will have to follow a bit, because I do the shopping & cooking-husband & son are not complaining, my 13 yr old daughter, who is a pescetarian, still eats alot of things that aren't great, but she's always been a picky eater, & I'm afraid of trying to force a certain way of eating on her-I'm afraid she'll become more resistant....just bringing in more veg & fruit & reducing the 'bad' stuff...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Okay, complaining alert. I'm sick of all the processed food from Trader Joe's. I want to tell my boyfriend to stop making it for dinner. How on earth can he wince at a New York steak and then turn around and make a pile of Korean shortribs covered in sugar and toxic vegetable oil? It boggles my mind. Please, dear husband-like person, please just make simple meats and vegetables and not trader joe's crappy fake health foods. I wish I could tell him this but he's extremely touchy about criticism. Thanks for listening.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Okay, complaining alert. I'm sick of all the processed food from Trader Joe's. I want to tell my boyfriend to stop making it for dinner. How on earth can he wince at a New York steak and then turn around and make a pile of Korean shortribs covered in sugar and toxic vegetable oil? It boggles my mind. Please, dear husband-like person, please just make simple meats and vegetables and not trader joe's crappy fake health foods. I wish I could tell him this but he's extremely touchy about criticism. Thanks for listening.
    Too true! I like Trader Joe's for some things, but most of their prepared foods are just as bad as stuff at the regular grocery. My parents think it's healthy and then are completely shocked when I flip over the box and actually read the label. That said, there are some hidden gems that aren't too bad in the prepared foods section, and their produce prices can't be beat.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    i do all the cooking: problem solved.

those frozen meals? they taste like arse and are full of who-knows-what.

i know your guy is persnickety, but there are not-so-bad things he can buy there, like pesto, jars of roasted peppers, tapenade, etc., that do not contain non-primal ingredients and when whizzed with olive oil or coconut milk make super tasty sauces and toppings for meat or fish.

it seems like you are very often at odds about "what's for dinner"? would it be easier to just not try to eat the same meal?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i do all the cooking: problem solved.
    Ditto.

I've mentioned earlier in this thread about how picky my boyfriend is. I do all of the cooking and I refuse to make "special meals" just for him. The closest I'll come to doing so is if I make, say, chicken curry, I eat it with steamed veggies but I will cook rice so he can have his with rice. Basically same main dish but separate sides. If I make burgers, he'll have his on a bun while I won't. If he doesn't want what I cook at all, he knows how to boil water and he will tap into his stash of pasta and tomato sauce (which we always, always have on hand for such occasions).

I also always remind him to eat some kind of vegetable with his meal, especially if it's a super carb-loaded one like pizza, grilled cheese or pasta.

This has worked for us for nine years!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It's sort of getting to where I'm doing more of the cooking. I have to admit it took Primal/paleo for me to even bother learning how to cook. Tonight I'm baking a whole chicken. Then there will be lots of leftovers.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I do all the cooking in our house except for breakfast on the weekends. DH is fully on board with primal, in fact I've stuck with it mainly for him. I never had much weight to loose but he's been overweight since we first met 20+ yrs. ago. He's now no longer in the obese category so he knows this way of eating works. It's not been easy for him; he loves sweets and fruit, and if he has them he has a really hard time limiting them. He now almost never eats any sweets and very rarely eats fruit.

DH has always been interested in anthropology and sociology so what he's learned about the paleo diet fits in with what he already knew from previous research.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i still make rice or taters for the bf, and liver is only for me at my house. otherwise, he will happily eat just about anything else. lol, his ex-wife was fat-phobic and a terrible, lazy cook, so he eats like a king now. he's on-board with the pastured eggs, the organic dairy and the no-fake food. even though on fridays he and his daughter usually pig out on whoppers or pizza. only so much i can do, amirite?

and yeah, batch-cooking saves the day.

today i'll set up a big braise of beef shanks and that will do us for several meals.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 08-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I have a gem of a husband. He never complains and enthusiastically eats whatever I make. When I quit making noodles and biscuits just for him, he didn't even comment, just helped himself to seconds of the vegetable. We nearly always make dinner together.

He was raised by his father and had two brothers--they did the cooking, with no "mom" in the family. I wonder if that has anything to do with his easy-going attitude about food today?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I hate the pre-seasoned meats at TJ's. Like I want to try leg of lamb, but all they had was doused in seasoning. Even if you are OK with that stuff.... what if it tastes like ass?