Page 145 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 145

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    I started my fitness program (when I was 49) by making a commitment to fitness and a daily walk to the end of my driveway, to the third tree up the road, and so on...it wasn't long and I was walking every day and felt like crap when I didn't. You do it the way you have to. It was a personal thing with me, like a meditation. It didn't matter how much I weighed or what size I was. I lost 50# several clothing sizes, was strong, well balanced and confident. Good health to you!

No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A friend of mine went on a version of this diet. He's 60-something. He never thought he would EVER see normal blood pressure, but one day he tested it fully expecting the typical disappointment and was shocked to see normal blood pressure. He doesn't take meds anymore.

I have always had normal blood pressure, consistently 110/80. I took my blood pressure on a whim the other day. 105/65. It works even on healthy people. I can't wait to see what my cholesterol is. Just my luck it'll be 400 or something wild like that. I'll just throw away the prescription.

I will be interested in your hair coloring topic, namelesswonder, even if only vicariously. I'm probably too old to do something like that, and too chicken. My hair is to my waist. It's blond, a bit lighter than your natural blond, but not very light anymore. Another thing I've always wanted to try is dreadlocks, but I'm sure I would hate them. I can't hardly stand to have my hair down for more than a few hours. Sometimes I don't brush my hair but unless I wear a hat, it really bugs me after a while if my hair isn't combed. Maybe I should just do something a little less drastic. Maybe have a small braid that has beads and feathers or something. I'm just a boring office person, computer programmer type, but I have a crunchy wild-child streak that has never really been expressed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Posting to gloat over my homemade ceviche:

1lb vermillion cod (locally caught fish, I live near Morro Bay, CA)
    juice of 8 limes
    juice of 1 lemon
    bunch cilantro, chopped (rinse it well!)
    1/2 small red onion chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    salt
    cracked pepper
    2 serrano peppers, seeded, and diced (wear gloves or plastic bags on your hands, esp. if you wear contacts lol)
    2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped

Mixed it and let it sit a full 24 hrs, and tested it - it needed 'something', so I whipped out my trusty bottle of Tapatio and mixed in about a teaspoon.... even my 'I don't like the taste of fish' husband enjoyed it. Ceviche is such a great diversion from the typical meat/pork/chicken fare, especially in the summertime!

I hope you ladies had a great weekend

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeme View Post
    Here's a question. I have to take my meds for now and I stay close to my primary care physician but will meds mess with Paleo ie cholesterol meds in particular. Will the meds prevent improvement do you think?
    Hi Meeme.

I was a study co-ordinator for a medical trial a while back where we were looking into the effects of statins on clients with kidney disease. The consulatant I worked under would often take a client off statin's for 1 month - 6 weeks and then check their cholesterol levels (we couldn't take clients into our study who were already on statins or who had extremely high cholesterol levels). His opinion is that it was perfectly safe to stop the statins for this period, and by the months end we would get an accurate cholesterol blood level. If I was you, this is exactly what I'd do. Make sure you do retest though, just to make sure your levels are awful, but make sure you are well read on the subject before you discuss these results with your Dr. Often times Dr's will just prescribe statin's on age/risk factors without actually having the proper evidence to back up the prescription.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodKristina View Post
    Posting to gloat over my homemade ceviche:

1lb vermillion cod (locally caught fish, I live near Morro Bay, CA)
    juice of 8 limes
    juice of 1 lemon
    bunch cilantro, chopped (rinse it well!)
    1/2 small red onion chopped
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    salt
    cracked pepper
    2 serrano peppers, seeded, and diced (wear gloves or plastic bags on your hands, esp. if you wear contacts lol)
    2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped

Mixed it and let it sit a full 24 hrs, and tested it - it needed 'something', so I whipped out my trusty bottle of Tapatio and mixed in about a teaspoon.... even my 'I don't like the taste of fish' husband enjoyed it. Ceviche is such a great diversion from the typical meat/pork/chicken fare, especially in the summertime!

I hope you ladies had a great weekend
    I need more lemons and limes! I have some wild cod in the freezer at the moment that is begging to be made into cerviche!

In other news...

Last night the boyfriend felt guilty for telling me he wanted pizza for dinner. I told him I didn't care, but he was pretty much pouting as he enjoyed his carb-loaded dinner as I ate a kick-ass primal meal next to him. Shouldn't I be the one all pissy about him eating that kind of food? It seems like he's moping lately, and not comfortable with these changes in our household.

Any of you have [in]significant others who are not primal and you don't make them live/eat the same as you?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Hi Meeme.

I was a study co-ordinator for a medical trial a while back where we were looking into the effects of statins on clients with kidney disease. The consulatant I worked under would often take a client off statin's for 1 month - 6 weeks and then check their cholesterol levels (we couldn't take clients into our study who were already on statins or who had extremely high cholesterol levels). His opinion is that it was perfectly safe to stop the statins for this period, and by the months end we would get an accurate cholesterol blood level. If I was you, this is exactly what I'd do. Make sure you do retest though, just to make sure your levels are awful, but make sure you are well read on the subject before you discuss these results with your Dr. Often times Dr's will just prescribe statin's on age/risk factors without actually having the proper evidence to back up the prescription.
    Hi Lizzielou.

Thanks for this response. Combined with all the other responses it gives me hope. I will test today and see my Dr tomorrow. I won't discuss this with him yet. My blood pressure has been so high we're both worried about my kidneys but I don't see these meds doing it. They have lowered it but it isn't anywhere near normal at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A friend of mine went on a version of this diet. He's 60-something. He never thought he would EVER see normal blood pressure, but one day he tested it fully expecting the typical disappointment and was shocked to see normal blood pressure. He doesn't take meds anymore.

I have always had normal blood pressure, consistently 110/80. I took my blood pressure on a whim the other day. 105/65. It works even on healthy people. I can't wait to see what my cholesterol is. Just my luck it'll be 400 or something wild like that. I'll just throw away the prescription.
    This is encouraging. I used to have good blood pressure before the op. I often think it's the meds I'm on but I'm also unwilling to have a stroke. I'm going to do this as best I can.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Last night the boyfriend felt guilty for telling me he wanted pizza for dinner. I told him I didn't care, but he was pretty much pouting as he enjoyed his carb-loaded dinner as I ate a kick-ass primal meal next to him. Shouldn't I be the one all pissy about him eating that kind of food? It seems like he's moping lately, and not comfortable with these changes in our household.

Any of you have [in]significant others who are not primal and you don't make them live/eat the same as you?
    My hubby eats primal when we cook together, and whatever he wants the rest of the time. We do dinner together almost every night, so I'd guess that he's 1/3 to 1/2 primal. He sometimes eats leftover dinner stuff for lunch, and tells me that he gets the no-grain version of whatever he can where he has lunch (he eats lunch out with coworkers often). But he's got a sweet tooth like you can't imagine, and eats candy, popcorn, and ice cream every evening after dinner.

Once in a great while (like, once every 6 months) we go out for pizza, and I eat it, too. But it's really good pizza, and I enjoy it and don't stress about it. Other than those rare dinners out, I'm probably 95% primal.

Hubby doesn't get pissy or pout about any of it. We've been together for 25+ wonderful years, so things like this don't bother either one of us.

Did you ask BF why he was pouting? Maybe the pizza wasn't as good as he expected and your dinner looked better. If you're not forcing him to eat primal, I don't see why he should be moping--unless he feels guilty because he knows what he's eating isn't good for him!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Yum! Ceviche! I've got to try that sometime.

Last night I made pistachio pesto (do a google search, it was the first recipe, I left out the cilantro.) Put it on salmon and baked it. Very tasty.

I have a partner who is not primal. He would prefer to eat a low-fat diet of fish, chicken and steamed veggies and lots of pasta and Mexican food. So I typically cook these things for him and just leave off the noodles and tortillas for myself.

Once in a while he gets really super pouty when it's his turn to cook because he thinks my diet is so "impossible" to cook for. After a year of this he still hasn't learned that all he has to do is make some chicken or fish, steam some veggies or make a salad, and I'm perfectly happy. If he wants spaghetti I'm perfectly happy to eat just the sauce. If he wants Indian food I'm perfectly happy to eat one spoonful of rice and yes, I will eat the beans and lentils. If he wants fajitas no problem at all. I practically beg him to make that. I just put it all in a bowl and skip the tortilla. But every now and then he'll get all pouty about it. I figure it's just his personality (or lack of one.)

He did it to me on Saturday. He had chicken breasts out defrosting all day so I figured he wanted to cook and probably had something in mind. He turned off all the water to the house while he tried to fix a toilet downstairs. Around 5:30 he finally turned the water back on. So it's not like I could have helped him out any by cooking for him. Then he got all irate at how impossible it was to cook for me and went into his den to pout like a big giant baby as is his way. So I calmly got the chicken out and made a veggie stir-fry, warmed up some kind of crazy Trader Joe's wheat and millet pilaf thing for him and called him to dinner. Sheesh. What a big baby.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Did you ask BF why he was pouting? Maybe the pizza wasn't as good as he expected and your dinner looked better. If you're not forcing him to eat primal, I don't see why he should be moping--unless he feels guilty because he knows what he's eating isn't good for him!
    He's a very, very picky eater. (A few examples: He hates eggs. Period. He doesn't like any fruits. He likes five vegetables: cucumber, lettuce, spinach, corn, and cooked onions. Six, if you include pickles. He'll only drink milk if it has a quarter cup of chocolate syrup in it.) I think he's scared that by me changing my life that he will have to change, too. I told him a few times that it's up to him to change and I won't be "that girl" who force-feeds him something he doesn't like. When he's ready, he can tell me; if that day never comes, so be it. Regardless, all I want is his support and he always gives me that, so I'm a happy camper in that regards!

I mean... we've been together close to a decade now and he's always been picky just as I've always loved pretty much every food I've tried, and in that time I've never tried to change him. (Although I do make sure he at least tries a new food once in a while!) Still, I'm 90% sure he feels like this change in me will affect him; it's like he thinks, "Well, she's not eating pizza for dinner anymore, so I guess I'm not allowed to either."

Ugh! Men!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Paleobird Guest
    I cook for and eat with my Dad. I have gotten him to go Primal but I'm not trying to push the ketosis targets that I aim for on him. So we basically have the same dinner but I just make an extra side order of something like sweet potato fries or rice for him to go with the meat or fish and veg. He also pouts if he doesn't get his fruit. I figure you have to pick your battles sometimes. I got him to give up cookies and such and fruit juices, so him having some whole fruit is not unhealthy (he was "pre-diabetic" before Primal but it's gone now.)