Page 144 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 144

Loretta is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That is great drheather, OutdoorAmy and Cori93437............thanks for the answer !
    Last edited by Loretta; 08-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Maybe it got missed if someone was quick-scrolling through the clot discussion.
    Thanks for understanding !

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    How could you read this thread and not know many of us have lost lots of weight?
    There is a lot of talk of previous weight loss with CW, body dislike, stalled weight and regain from non paleo food slipping in.......so that induced the question.

One universal comment is feeling better which is wonderful.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    To jump back to hair question on page 141 (don't read on the weekends that much)...

To get a really vibrant color, you need to lighten your hair to a light shade of blonde. Platinum/white is best, but then you have potentially damaged hair to deal with afterwords (keratin conditioners can help with this, and will help lock in any color you apply, but that means it's harder to remove later). If your hair is darker than any kind of straight-up blonde (like you would call it dark blonde, or anything darker than that), applying semi-permanent color (which any kind of "unnatural" color is) will apply a tint that looks really nice in natural light, but mostly unnoticeable, and will wash out within a couple of weeks. Regardless of how you apply, it will bleed in the shower for at least a week (in my experience, but better dyes will only bleed for a few days/also depends on if you are shampooing and how much you got stuck on your scalp), and potentially your towels and sheets. I'm using a crappy dye this time and it's still bleeding in the shower, but I'm also not shampooing at all, and had a lot stick to my scalp (taking a while to come off because I haven't been scrubbing carefully heh).

I've never had my hair done in a salon, and I certainly mess it up quite a bit. The pink I have right now is a dedication, since I have to touch up the roots with bleach every 6 weeks, and reapply the pink. You can get cheap supplies at Sally's Beauty Supply, but if you don't have any experience, and you're afraid of living with potentially splotchy bleach job, go to a pro and watch carefully. There are a lot of Youtube videos on how to bleach your hair too. Box kits for bleaching, btw, may be less damaging, but the shade rarely comes out what you want it to be (especially not with a single application), so I don't recommend them.

This is my natural shade, dark-ash blonde or light ash-brown, from March. Plus the green streak, that's what happens when you give yourself highlights, and apply blue (mixing purple helps, but blue always fades to a shade of green):
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...March_0087.jpg

This is how light blonde I got it earlier this year (April?) before applying pink:
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...r/IMAG0172.jpg

Here's the most recent application of pink (about a week ago, pic taken mid-week):
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/...ugust_0024.jpg

Pink/red locks in REALLY well, as anyone who has dyed their hair red will know. Bleaching over pink/red will only give you lighter pink/red, or go orangey, so you have to dye darker to get rid of it.

I might write a blog post about how to dye hair at home sometime soon and will share the link if anyone is interested (blog link is in my signature).

In short, I don't have a lot of experience with using these kinds of dye as a temporary experience. I tend to try and keep them going for as long as possible. I had pink hair for 9 months in 2009, but never touched up the roots, so eventually my hair was 1/2 natural and 1/2 pink, which looks pretty bad IMO. This time, I'm keeping the roots touched up to see how long I can stand it. I might go purple for Fall/Winter though. Purples tend to neutralize yellow/orange tones that occur in the bleaching process, so it can sometimes become more white when it fades out.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have never had a really nice waist, but I'm finding that it just won't shrink below 30" even though the rest of me is losing. A banana shape would be an improvement. I'm more like a tree trunk.
    No you aren't!! I've looked at your before and after pics and you do not look like a tree trunk!! You're doing a great job of losing fat and sculpting your body with lifting. I think the saying here is Grok ON!!

New here ladies this is my first post. Wonderful thread! I was in the best shape of my life at 50 using 3-5 mile a day walks, lifting 3X a week and diet. What I didn't know, and couldn't find out due to CW, was that I was gluten and casein intolerant. In any case after many years of illness I've been wheat free, dairy free almost sugar free for going on a year. I've gone from a high of 187 to 167 and my cloths, which I kept, are fitting well again. I'm 5' 7 1/2" and 65, disabled and have a chronic illness called Microscopic Colitis. I also have high BP which I hope I can lower. I'm going low carb for blood sugar. I gave up alcohol (I liked a gin and tonic now and then) I've given up all bad oils and make ghee to use when I want it.

Because my gut is so messed up I make a lot of soups because fiber is a problem for people like me. All veggies have to be well cooked...and I'm a big fan of fresh, uncooked. I do it because I want my life back. Doctors are not much help because they have their minds made up even though they have no idea what causes this...my disease is one of the fasted growing, and basically unknown because it's misdiagnosed so often with IBS and they think diet has little to nothing to do with it. So much for them...but I keep trying to educate my gastro and my primary care doc is at least open. He wants me on cholesterol drugs because he doesn't like my numbers. I want off all meds.

Here's a question. I have to take my meds for now and I stay close to my primary care physician but will meds mess with Paleo ie cholesterol meds in particular. Will the meds prevent improvement do you think?

Another thing I'm wondering about with the leptin as well...leaky gut is something people like me have to deal with but my understanding is that it has to do with mast cells and histamine. I have to eat low histamine foods and I take benadryl to help my gut out as well...otherwise I can't get very far away from a bathroom and that's not a life.

Anyway, great thread and no apologies ladies! It's great to read all the posts and learn so much from all of you.

I chose Meeme because when my son was little he'd throw up his arms and shout 'Me Me' and it took me months to figure out that he used that instead of Mama. LOL
    Last edited by meeme; 08-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Meeme, I don't want to give medical advice because I'm nothing even close to a health professional, but statins are pretty much useless for women. My mom took them for close to 20 years, and she swore they lowered her cholesterol, which was in the 300-something range at the time. But everything I was reading said they didn't help women. Huh???

I finally figured it out maybe a year ago. Yes, they lower your total cholesterol, but in women, that's not a good thing. Then I found this study that explained it all. For women, lower cholesterol is associated with higher mortality and higher cholesterol is associated with lower mortality. In other words, the lower your cholesterol (as a woman), then the greater your risk of dying. It's pretty much a straight line. For men, it's a U-shaped curve with a sweet spot in the middle.

But that explains the confusion between my mom's cholesterol going down on statins while everything I read kept telling me they didn't help women.

I also am not a huge fan of fiber. I had some pretty serious issues with it about a year ago, was told by the ER doc that I needed more fiber, so I asked here on MDA about which foods were higher in fiber but still Primal. Thankfully, one of the girls pointed me to a great website, Gutsense.org, which talks about how fiber isn't all it's cracked up to be. Good information, and I haven't had any problems since.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    That site is amazing. I've been having a lot of digestive issues lately (probably the candida overgrowth?) and was recently constipated for 5 days (until this morning). I read up on Gutsense.org and learned that a lot of the things I was trying to make me "go" were bad ideas! Wish I'd read it sooner, I would've gotten some Vitamin C and left things alone. Here's hoping that with today's movement, things start going back to normal.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and I will say that being on meds isn't always for life. Like I said, my 77-year-old mom has been on statins for almost 2 decades, and blood pressure meds for just as long. Of course, they caused other problems, so she has also been taking drugs for neuropathy as well as PPIs and antacids. She had been seeing one doctor for what seems like forever, and when he died, she just switched to his son. It seemed every time she went, the fix was a new pill, and that pill inevitably had its own side effects.

She finally decided to see a new doctor that had just come to town. He ran a bunch of tests, said there was pretty much nothing wrong with her and took her off of everything. EVERYTHING!!! The only issues he saw were that her bone density isn't what it should be and her Vitamin D was low. Though I don't agree with the calcium he presecribed (and I explained to her why), I agree 100% with the D, and am just going to keep my mouth shut because he's a hero in my book for getting her off all of the crap. I also sent her Practical Paleo, and she said she really liked the pictures (ermh...) so there IS hope!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Meeme, I don't want to give medical advice because I'm nothing even close to a health professional, but statins are pretty much useless for women. My mom took them for close to 20 years, and she swore they lowered her cholesterol, which was in the 300-something range at the time. But everything I was reading said they didn't help women. Huh???

I finally figured it out maybe a year ago. Yes, they lower your total cholesterol, but in women, that's not a good thing. Then I found this study that explained it all. For women, lower cholesterol is associated with higher mortality and higher cholesterol is associated with lower mortality. In other words, the lower your cholesterol (as a woman), then the greater your risk of dying. It's pretty much a straight line. For men, it's a U-shaped curve with a sweet spot in the middle.

But that explains the confusion between my mom's cholesterol going down on statins while everything I read kept telling me they didn't help women.

I also am not a huge fan of fiber. I had some pretty serious issues with it about a year ago, was told by the ER doc that I needed more fiber, so I asked here on MDA about which foods were higher in fiber but still Primal. Thankfully, one of the girls pointed me to a great website, Gutsense.org, which talks about how fiber isn't all it's cracked up to be. Good information, and I haven't had any problems since.
    Good advice in my book. I refused to take the statins so he put me on Welchol which contains phenylalanine. I take it only 1/2 the time and only then because it seems to help with my BP issues. I've had high BP ever since I had a bypass in my left leg. I used my own vein and it must have messed something up in the plumbing. Your information regarding women and cholesterol is something I ran into earlier today, I'll do some research, thx.

I can't do fiber at all without problems so I avoid it, much as I love my fresh veggies. Thanks for the link...all good information is appreciated.

I'm glad your issues resolved for you and you haven't had any more issues. It's a good thing you trusted yourself to find out what the truth is.

I love the internet! :0)

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Oh, and I will say that being on meds isn't always for life. Like I said, my 77-year-old mom has been on statins for almost 2 decades, and blood pressure meds for just as long. Of course, they caused other problems, so she has also been taking drugs for neuropathy as well as PPIs and antacids. She had been seeing one doctor for what seems like forever, and when he died, she just switched to his son. It seemed every time she went, the fix was a new pill, and that pill inevitably had its own side effects.

She finally decided to see a new doctor that had just come to town. He ran a bunch of tests, said there was pretty much nothing wrong with her and took her off of everything. EVERYTHING!!! The only issues he saw were that her bone density isn't what it should be and her Vitamin D was low. Though I don't agree with the calcium he presecribed (and I explained to her why), I agree 100% with the D, and am just going to keep my mouth shut because he's a hero in my book for getting her off all of the crap. I also sent her Practical Paleo, and she said she really liked the pictures (ermh...) so there IS hope!
    LMAO! Way to go girl...you are wise! Yes, I stopped taking as many meds as I dare for now...I'll stop them all in time as well.

Yes, there is hope. Aside from not being able to walk very much I'm without pain in my body that had me convinced I had arthritis on top of these other things. I'll continue improving with paleo and I'll figure out my exercise program when the time comes.

In response to another poster in this thread who is physically challenged and wondering how to do this:

I started my fitness program (when I was 49) by making a commitment to fitness and a daily walk to the end of my driveway, to the third tree up the road, and so on...it wasn't long and I was walking every day and felt like crap when I didn't. You do it the way you have to. It was a personal thing with me, like a meditation. It didn't matter how much I weighed or what size I was. I lost 50# several clothing sizes, was strong, well balanced and confident. Good health to you!