Page 141 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 141

Primal Fuel
    Oh, and my Mom didn't stop her monthly until she was almost 58. Being that we both started our periods at 14, I can see what I have to look forward to

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Regarding perimenopausal clotty periods..... Did any of you have excessive bleeding, more than a pad an hour? If so did you do anything about it? My doctor prescribed progesterone for temporary relief, but said I need to do one of three things: 1) get a Mirena IUD (costs $800 and my insurance will not pay for it, 2)Endometrial Ablation (probably would be even more expensive than the IUD), 3) birth control pills which the doc says has risk factors for women my age. Any thoughts?

I'm in between periods and dreading the next potential flood.
    You just described my last period, 2 weeks ago. The back pain, my version of cramps, was bad and I couldn't go an hour before needing to change things. To make matters worse it all hit in the middle of the night, making it a sleepless mess.

I had the same messy problem in my teens. Middle and high school were hell. Going on the pill in my 20s because of my period helped.

I've been on HRT for about 10 years.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    On a totally different subject, this question is for Namelesswonder or anybody else who knows. How do you get the purple hair? I've always wanted to do something crazy to my hair, like sport a purple chunk or something like that. Is it completely permanent? Does it wear off after a little while? Can you buy purple hair color at the drug store and apply it to just one piece of hair? Or do you have to go to a salon?
    It's relatively simple to dye your own hair a funky color. The color is not permanent, most are veggie-based dyes, and depending on the color, will last from a few weeks to a few months (though not without fading, sometimes to decent results but not always). I've purchased my dye online as it's usually cheaper (Special Effects is what I primarily used). There are some that you can buy at Sally's, but I haven't had experience with it. Depending on the color of your hair, it is possible to directly apply the color, but typically, you have to bleach the portion you want to dye. Sally's is nice way to pick up the supplies for bleaching as you'll be able to control the amount you mix up. Sometimes, a toner is needed, but I've never bothered when I applied purple.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I've got a mixture of 1 part aqua and 3 parts hair conditioner on a bleached section of my hair right now... its a recipe for toning down the bottle color for a more "pastel" look.
    It's my first go at it though SO...

I've done pink, dark purple lowlights on blonde, a cap of teal on blonde, a cap of peacock blue on blonde (last time)... and now I'm shooting for a light aqua... like a caribbean blue cap on blonde base.

This is my first DIY and it may go horribly wrong!
    It's still fun.
    I'm DIYing because the blue was going grayish green on the fade and I had cancelled my appointment thinking I was going to be scheduled for brain surgery and thus a head shave (not cool to pay $$$ for a DO and then Shave it!).
    Anyway... was very tired of the faded state and waiting 2+ weeks for another salon appointment I decided to snag some DIY stuff...
    Yes, my stylist will probably want to KILL me.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, not sure I want to bleach my hair before coloring it. My hair is very long so I wouldn't want to have part of it changed permanently. It would take too long to get it all back to normal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, not sure I want to bleach my hair before coloring it. My hair is very long so I wouldn't want to have part of it changed permanently. It would take too long to get it all back to normal.
    Do you have a lighter hair color to begin with? If the purple is darker, it will dye the hair fairly noticeably, though the end result might not be as vivid. A friend of mine put some dark purple over her already dark brown hair which ended up giving her hair an awesome purple hue when she went out in the sun (but was still "natural" to pass for work settings). But I definitely understand not wanting to bleach your long hair, it's the position I find myself in now.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    about 3 weeks ago i started taking a chinese herb called dong quai, also known as the "female ginseng."
    [SNIP]
    but the unexpected result is that my hair is thicker and longer than it has been in years! it's curly so tends to break on the ends right about when it hits my shoulders. it has only gotten "that" long for decades, no matter how long i go between haircuts or how carefully i deal with it.

within a week of taking this supp i could feel the change and now my hair actually feels heavy, lol.

just did some googling and this is a traditional indian and asian supp for female hair loss! well then.

a happy coincidence for sure.
    I can't stop thinking of this. I always had fine hair and not that much. Either age, stress, hypo-thyroidism, or weight loss causes me to shed for a while (weeks at a time). I'm talking Kerry-hair tumbleweeds.

I don't mind the fine sparse hair elsewhere.... never needed to tweeze my brows, though I wish they didn't fizzle out quite so soon on the brow line ...

Still. Would you say you're growing MORE hair or the strands are thicker and longer (stronger?)

Would you say it's all over your body including face or just on your head?

Are you still taking it? (wondering if it's reversible if it causes me to sprout a moustache )

How much do you take, how often, and what brand?

Thanks... I'll start researching on my own, just interested in more of your experience...
    Last edited by KerryK; 08-24-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Mostly the phone's #%¥+&$!! auto-correct

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I know, I jumped on that as well. This fine-haired girl may definitely be trying some dong quai!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Regarding perimenopausal clotty periods..... Did any of you have excessive bleeding, more than a pad an hour? If so did you do anything about it? My doctor prescribed progesterone for temporary relief, but said I need to do one of three things: 1) get a Mirena IUD (costs $800 and my insurance will not pay for it, 2)Endometrial Ablation (probably would be even more expensive than the IUD), 3) birth control pills which the doc says has risk factors for women my age. Any thoughts?

I'm in between periods and dreading the next potential flood.
    I highly recommend the Mirena. I got mine actually after menopause, because the bleeding came back. If insurance is required to cover birth control with no co-pay for plan years starting after Aug. 1, will it be covered? I don't know. The company has a pay over time deal, around $30 a month if I remember correctly. I had to fight my insurance but they eventually covered a good part of it. I thought the ablation sounded like doing too much harm to my insides so I just toughed it out for a couple of years, but I had figured out how to supplement iron so I didn't get anemic. My Mirena experience is here: Deep Language: Mirena IUD for endometrial hyperplasia (TMI warning) Particularly if there a fibroids associated with your heavy bleeding you could also look into supplementing iodine.
    Last edited by Pamsc; 08-24-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had bad flooding and clots. The reason for them was not peri-menopause but fibroids. I had an elective total abdominal hysterectomy at age 39.

On a totally different subject, this question is for Namelesswonder or anybody else who knows. How do you get the purple hair? I've always wanted to do something crazy to my hair, like sport a purple chunk or something like that. Is it completely permanent? Does it wear off after a little while? Can you buy purple hair color at the drug store and apply it to just one piece of hair? Or do you have to go to a salon?
    I had mine out at 30 due to a prolapsed uterus that was causing horrible cramping and periods that went on forever. That was the best decision I ever made. Just think. That's 15 years of periods that I didn't have. 15 years of clean undies and not having to buy "supplies".

About the hair color. I have seen it at CVS in various shades. Some are temporary and some are "semi-permanent" like 8 washings or so. You can DIY if you are brave enough. I've been using henna on my hair lately and love the way it feels.