Page 134 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 134

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cinico View Post
    I do have a question, do you guys track your calories? I have been ranging around the 1500 mark but I wonder if I need to eat more to sustain my workouts?
    You can track your calories, and I do find it helpful in the beginning or when I get hung up on something, but for most newbies, it kind of freaks them out. It looks like way too much to them. But if you are going into it knowing that you might need more calories, I think it might be helpful for you.

I really like LiveStrong. They've got a Daily Plate that has a great database and a super easy iPhone app too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    because at 17 your still growing. Your bones haven't finished yet.......
    Not that I want to discourage your good advice, but is this really true? I reached my full adult height by age 13. Staggering height of 5'3", I know, but I never grew anymore ever again, except for outward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    Where I stand right now is thinking that supplementing iodine and selenium may be enough to perk up my thyroid.
    I went your route. I've been tested for low thyroid activity since I was 16 years old and I always fell in the low normal range. It's likely that I've fallen within that newly shifted boundary. I've always had poor cholesterol numbers since starting to be tested at around age 19. I've always complained of feeling cold and sluggish, like pushing my life through molasses. I've never qualified for thyroid treatment because of my lab results. So when I started this diet I decided I would take things into my own hands and supplement iodine. I, too, felt warmer and better. I really honestly think it helped. I kind of randomly stopped taking it (and all the other supplements I was taking, too.) I think my thyroid works great now. I have no tests to prove anything, but I feel good so I am not going to worry about it anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Pedidoc;931530]
    Quote Originally Posted by cavequeen View Post
    My 8 year old caught a really bad virus with high fever so I have everyone drinking bone broth to build up immunities.

Cavequeen, I don't know what part of Texas you are in but Dallas county is under a state of emergency because of West Nile. We have it in Harris and El Paso counties also. High fever, headache, body aches, flu like symptoms can be west Nile. Please consider taking your 8 year old to be seen.
    Thank you for the suggestion. We did take him already and it's a summer virus that we have in the area, ando something, the doctors tested him for flu, strep and eliminated West Nile as he didn't have rash and some other symptoms of West Nile. He is much better now back to normal. The doctor said the would probably feel sick for at 10 days to 14 days but he was fully recovered on the 6th day.

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    That's great. I'm glad he's better!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    1st day back at work full time after a summer off, My DH thought that it might be nice to set his alarm for 5am and then let it go off for an hour and then decide he doesn't need to be there as early as he thought. I think I may kill him now! lol

At least I planned ahead and have some sausage kale soup ready for tonight for dinner and just need to finish slow cooking some carnitas up for Tuesday. It was nice to wake up with a flat stomach and pants that fit looser. Trying to convince myself to eat something for breakfast so I won't be tempted by whatever carb stuff they have at work. I made a big breakfast for my kiddos and woke them up so they can get back on schedule to start next week.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    about 3 weeks ago i started taking a chinese herb called dong quai, also known as the "female ginseng." after trying various cw approaches to dealing with age-appropriate hormonal changes and an angry uterus i fired my doctor and fired up some serious google-fu. dong quai seemed the herb most compatible to alleviate mys symptoms.

i was prepared to wait months to see results. within days, the cramping was gone and the bloating/swelling much better. yeah for me.

but the unexpected result is that my hair is thicker and longer than it has been in years! it's curly so tends to break on the ends right about when it hits my shoulders. it has only gotten "that" long for decades, no matter how long i go between haircuts or how carefully i deal with it.

within a week of taking this supp i could feel the change and now my hair actually feels heavy, lol.

just did some googling and this is a traditional indian and asian supp for female hair loss! well then.

a happy coincidence for sure.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Not that I want to discourage your good advice, but is this really true? I reached my full adult height by age 13. Staggering height of 5'3", I know, but I never grew anymore ever again, except for outward.
    Actually you can stop growing in height - but your bones don't stop growing and "hardening" until sometimes into the the 20's. They can estimate the age of a skeleton by examining the growth plates of the large leg bones. When the growth plate is completely formed they know the person has reached adulthood, and would be appr. 18 - 20 years old. I grew 1.5 inches during my 21st year. Went from 5'2" to 5'3.5" in that one year! There are always outlyers - you and I would both fall outside the "norm".
    Last edited by tomi; 08-20-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cinico View Post
    Hey new here to this forum although I have been creeping around for a while!! I am on week four or so of going primal again!

I have lost 3-4 pounds but most of that came off during the third week! I am still fine tuning here and there to see what foods help me or not! I love to workout!! I do two days of strength and two days of running, one day of sprints or a brief HiIt video!

I do have a question, do you guys track your calories? I have been ranging around the 1500 mark but I wonder if I need to eat more to sustain my workouts?

Thanks
    I am a recovering obsessive Calorie-counter, and although as recently as last Friday I was counting Calories still, I'm stopping because mentally it's not good for me. I was barely eating 1300/day (mind you, I run about 15 miles per week and do strength-training 4 times per week) and found myself desperate in the evenings to the point of eating an avocado just to get my Calories to get to a somewhat reasonable level. I'm starting to see the signs of obsession again, so I've decided to stop as of this past Saturday. [When I was trying to lose weight using the old "calories in/calories out, everything in moderation, low fat" method, I was obsessed with eating as little as possible (no more than 1250/day). Although this time around it's the opposite (trying to eat more, rather than less), I'm focusing too much on the numbers and not my natural hunger cues.]

Sorry for the babbling... I tend to do that... but anyway - If you don't have an addictive personality, go ahead and count Calories. But, ask yourself why you need to in the first place before you get into it.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I count - but I'm not completely anal about it. I do it to keep myself honest about exactly what I'm putting in my mouth. I also don't count every single day. I tend to eat about the same amount of food every day.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadamsgis View Post
    I installed by new pull up bar today - I had intitally thought to just wait til by husband got home but then I thought a she-grok would just install it herself. So I did. Now if only I could actually pull myself up. One step at a time ladies - one step at a time.

I'm on day 4 of PB.
    Take a look at Convict Calisthenics to help you with your pullups - he does a fantastic job of taking you through the steps to get there. Good Luck!