Page 122 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 122

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm hiking in Wyoming. Gonna drive there. I'm more nervous about the idea of driving that far away in my old pick-up truck across the desert with no air conditioning than I am about grizzly bears.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

CAlexRose is offline Junior Member
    Hello, I want to introduce myself. I'm 33 years old, childless with PCOS and Multiple Sclerosis. I'm new to MDA, but not that new to being gluten free (since 2005) and grain free for the most part. I was dabbling in Paleo years before I knew it had a name, but I have a difficult time staying on track.

Though I lost my ability to play tennis, I power lift at the gym several times a week. I also hike when I'm able to.

I'm playing around with the last 10 lbs and would like to tighten up so that I can lose it by the end of summer.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    so it's been 5 weeks since i had the mirena iud removed. first few days and WHOOSH, i lost 5 or so pounds and i felt great. after about a week or so, my uterus started to swell and cramp and be angry again. it's crampy and swollen all the damn time and my weight blipped back up. not all the way, but still.

BUT, my moods are stable and happy, like the old noodle.

i have felt motivated and more focused and getting more things done in a day than i had in many months of hormonally-induced blackness and despair.

i keep waiting for my period to begin but that hasn't happened yet, even though i did get it right after the iud got yanked.

my abdomen is slightly less swollen the last couple days, than say, a week ago.

10 days ago, i gave up alcohol, hoping that might help tip the scale. it's really my only indulgence and calories have dropped accordingly. i am down about a pound (?) from last week, but really seems like it should be more.

le sigh.

just bumping the thread so i can whine a bit, i guess.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

primal me is offline Member

Introducing the new and improved primal me

Hello fellow she-groks, or grokettes as I saw in the men's rant thread. I have been lurking around the past few days reading this entire thread, laughing out loud and gasping with shock at times. I am glad there is a place for us women to post our stories and share support so I'll dive in with my story. I apologize if it's a bit long.

To start I am 37, I have three sons ages 15, 14, and 11. I've been with my hubby since 1995, we married in 1997 after having baby no 1 and baby no 2 was on his way. My pre-primal weight was 223 taken in June at the beginning of a 15 day cleanse. The cleanse diet was very primal, lean meats, fruit and veg, no wheat, pasta or crap like that. During that cleanse I lost 6 lbs and felt great! My blood sugar had been very level and my stomach hardly bugged me at all during the cleanse and I was encouraged to continue eating as I had but I didn't know what I was doing. I picked up a copy of "Wheat Belly" and I haven't looked back. I have been hypoglycaemic since my teens and most of my weight problems stem from that. After reading the book I realized that it was eliminating the "healthy whole grains" from my diet that caused my blood sugars to balance out. I heard about the paleo diet from a colleague and decided to do some research and thus I stumbled upon this site.

The most surprising thing about my journey so far is my hubby. He accepted my choice to cut out the grains and he decided to do the same! We went camping for a week with our three sons and my two nieces, we packed good food for us all and only a little crap food for them and anytime I gave in to the temptation I felt gross immediately and that has helped me to stick to my guns.

When we got back from our trip I decided I needed a bit more guidance and I found a wonderful cookbook, "The Food Lovers Make it Paleo". The recipes are easy to follow, and substitute if necessary, I have enjoyed everything I've made and I am now coming up with my own recipes. The boys love everything we are eating now and there is no more crap food in our house. Shopping is done with great care and it does cost a bit more but the way I feel is absolutely worth it. It helps that this year I have expanded my edible container gardening to include lots of greens like chard and kale, yellow zucchini, tomatoes, peas and peppers and lots of herbs.

So I have been eating primal more or less for over a month now, I have seen my pants getting bigger and the numbers on the scale are dropping as well. I weighed in this morning at 207 lbs! That's 16 lbs in about a month! Soon I will have to buy new pants and I am so looking forward to it but for now I will continue to enjoy eating the way I am and feeling good about myself. I figure I'm about 95:5 right now as I haven't completely given up dairy, coffee, chocolate or alcohol. I am trying various gluten-free beers and I've always liked dark chocolate. We make our own wine so I'm leaving it on the menu since I use it mostly for cooking and enjoying a glass now and then. My hubby works out of town so a girls gotta have some way to kick back when her man's not home

As far as exercise goes I am a big fan of walking. Before beginning this journey (possibly the spark?) I joined a walking clinic and despite the aches and pains and injuries (I'm apparently fragile) I am determined to move slowly for long distances. I like the rest of the BP fitness as well and can't wait to add it in but first we've got to get me healed from my latest injury. A numb leg for 3 weeks is not fun!

So that's my story in a nutshell. I look forward to continuing this journey and picking up as many pearls of wisdom as you gals care to drop my way.

Colleen

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Me - welcome to the girls thread. Yes it seems we have a few guys who think we don't need our own place to talk about lady things............ whatever. By the response I think this is a pretty popular place to hang out.

Looks like you're making great strides and seeing some real progress! Great job!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

primal me is offline Member
    Hi ladies I have a question I want to throw out there. I am looking for a protein powder to pump up our smoothies. My issue is two of my children are allergic to cow's milk protein thus whey is out. They are also sensitive to soy and it wouldn't be my first choice for teenage boys to drink regularly anyway. I have seen rice protein and I was wondering if any of you have a preference of proteins? Obviously I also want it to taste good and be smooth in the drink otherwise the boys will not drink it.

Reese is offline Junior Member
    Oh! This thread exists! That's great... I'll be scouring and coming back with some awkward questions later =)

jesssa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal me View Post
    Hi ladies I have a question I want to throw out there. I am looking for a protein powder to pump up our smoothies. My issue is two of my children are allergic to cow's milk protein thus whey is out. They are also sensitive to soy and it wouldn't be my first choice for teenage boys to drink regularly anyway. I have seen rice protein and I was wondering if any of you have a preference of proteins? Obviously I also want it to taste good and be smooth in the drink otherwise the boys will not drink it.
    try Vega One

Vegan Protein Powder - Vega One Shake
    it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Incase you didn't see it, here's a post Mark did (admittedly over 2 years ago) about the various protein powders.

Whey, Casein, Egg White, Pea, Rice and Hemp Protein Powder Analysis | Mark's Daily Apple

My friend gave me a powder that has hemp, pea, and brown rice for the protein. When I can't afford to buy whey protein isolate I do use it though I wish it didn't have the brown rice protein. Oh well.

Hope Mark's article helps.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Looking for input on clothes. My waist is finally shrinking and now my clothes just hang on me. I have a large chest, 36H, so clothes don't seem to fit right. They're either too short as I don't like to show my tummy, or fit big so I look fatter than I am. Anyone found a brand that isn't $$ that fits well? I'm considering buyin "tall" shirts, but I worry the sleeves will fit funny then.