Page 12 of 183 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 12

tomi is offline Senior Member

New Strategy.....

Shop Now
    Okay - I've posted questions elsewhere on MDA about my progress and the frustration that the weight is coming off rather slowly. I got some really good advice. And it basically just comes down to the need to be more true to the primal diet concept.

So for those of you who are also struggling a little - I'm offering a challenge to try this with me. Keep in mind, PB is not about counting calories or stressing about what your putting in your mouth. But even Mark says it doesn't hurt anything to track what your doing when you are trying to lose.

This is my game plan - I'm trying to adhere rather strictly to the balance of carbs - fats - protein to the tune of 20% - 30% - 50% - with total calories not exceeding 1200 on a average basis. But here is the kicker I think!!!! I'm obstaining from dark chocolate and alcohol until my weight is at goal. Dark chocolate is "healthy" and a wonderful treat - and even if I can eat it and stay within balance - it really isn't a food I need to be eating. And, I have been doing a lot of reading on the effects of alcohol, I was shocked to read that even ONE drink a week can cause weight loss to come to a complete stop in women - even if they are doing everything else right. Apparently those hormones have something to do with it. (go figure!)

So - no chocolate or alcohol - and lets see what happens to the weight loss efforts over the coming weeks! As for moving and exercising I'm doing good. Biking 3-5 miles a day! I'm pretty proud of that considering only 5 months ago walking down the block was difficult.

WHO's WITH ME????

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm 41, 5'1", a blood type O genotyped as Hunter & have been about 70% paleo a little over 10 years. Since my mid 30s I've cracked down on grains more and no longer eat CW staples like oatmeal in my house. I eat a little rice in a Panda bowl and sadly have developed a liking for pizza since the recession hit. My staples are sardines, kale, eggs, lately almonds, green tea, blueberries & red meat. I've been doing intermittent fasting since last summer & worked out a lot towards the end of last year- too much really and since the beginning of the year have scaled back and am just walking a lot. I've also been going to sleep super early every night like 8 PM, seems to help reduce sugar cravings. I'm underweight and though it's my fault for eating less and moving more I'm sure one day I will be able to turn it around. Next week maybe.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    WHO's WITH ME????
    I've been pondering cutting out all the simple sugars (the raw honey in my weekend coffee, the chocolate bar with sugar, the odd packet of turbinado sugar in my coffee) for a month to see what happens. I already know that I need to cut out alcohol. I do not lose when I drink. Period.

I'm not eating a ton of excess sugar -- I'm not cramming a bar of chocolate down my gullet every night, but I will have one or two squares -- but who knows?

I'm also focusing on reducing portions at dinner, and trying to rewire the part of my brain that thinks I need more food on my plate. Case in point: I made brats for dinner last night. Normally, I'd eat 1.5 of those bad boys. Last night I ate 1/2 of one. My brain saw that half a sausage on my plate and was all like, "NUH UH NO WAY ARE YOU GONNA BE SATISFIED." But when the meal was done and I'd eaten my veggies and my sausage and had my half-cup of kefir, I found...yeah, I was. And I didn't get hungry the rest of the evening.

All that said, if this were two years ago and I were eating that sausage on a bun or flour tortilla...I suspect I would have been hungry later. Sugar just runs right through me and leaves me wanting more. But we all know how that works.

Rodulu is offline Member
    WHO's WITH ME????
    I'm with you - except.... I already don't drink any alcohol, and since I've given up just about every vice I ever had (and I grew up in the seventies, so you can imagine that I had a LOT of vices - lol), giving up my dark chocolate just seems like cruel and unusual punishment! I will however, commit to keeping it down to two tiny squares a day. I can do that. Yep. For reals. If I tell myself enough that I can, then I can .

I can do the 20 30 50 plan, and keep calories down to 1200.

And for me, I need to adjust my exercise. I'm currently having fun with hip hop abs at lunch five days a week. It was zumba, and that was fun, just changed to hip hop abs. DH and I go for a week-end hike that averages 5-6 miles every week-end. What I'm missing are sprint work and lifting heavy things.

I've done Insanity and P90X untilt he point of burnout (not to mention I'm still "fluffy"), so the whole lifting heavy things and sprinting need to get reinvented for me. I used to run a lot, and long boring story later, I'm still wanting to get back to that but struggle to do so, so I could do that for my sprint work.

Heard about the shovel glove for lifting heavy things and then I thought - dang - I have a whole giant back yard that is being destroyed daily by two giant dogs.... and I have a shovel (as my teenager has been informed on more than one occassion - but that's a whole 'nother story).... I also have an arbor out back that would be perfect for doing pullups from. I could do some yardwork around the arbor and turn it into the perfect playground. All I need is a pile of heavy rocks to move back and forth and I'll be set.

O.K.! I'm excited now!!! I'm with ya! New strategy! Downloading a food tracking app on my phone so I can be accountable for a few weeks until I get the hang of things. Back yard - watch out!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    So - no chocolate or alcohol

WHO's WITH ME????
    from my cold, dead hands...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    from my cold, dead hands...
    I hear ya!

I already can't eat dark chocolate, wine or bacon (or hot dogs or pepperoni, etc) so if I have to give up yet another food then I'm happy with keeping my extra 5 pounds. Hell, I'm 47, so I've earned it!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tomi is offline Senior Member
    LAUGHING! You girls are funny!!!! So I made it 5 days on my "new strategy" and fell off the wagon last night. After a hard long day of yard work and starting a new yard project - hubby and I were tired and sore! The rum and dark chocolate were very soothing and comforting. So - I'm starting fresh again today.

Keeping it honest.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'll have to peruse this thread some other time, but I'm wondering if anyone uses Paragard. I'm tossing around the possibility of getting it (never had kids, but Gyn said it wouldn't be an issue). My concerns are heavy bleeding, for any kind of transition period or long-term (as a regular period). I had a very heavy flow ages 13-18 and I really don't want a repeat of that. If I ended up bleeding for a few months while my body adjusted, I could not handle that either. I guess there's no way of knowing how one's body will respond, just curious about people's experiences.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I'll have to peruse this thread some other time, but I'm wondering if anyone uses Paragard. I'm tossing around the possibility of getting it (never had kids, but Gyn said it wouldn't be an issue). My concerns are heavy bleeding, for any kind of transition period or long-term (as a regular period). I had a very heavy flow ages 13-18 and I really don't want a repeat of that. If I ended up bleeding for a few months while my body adjusted, I could not handle that either. I guess there's no way of knowing how one's body will respond, just curious about people's experiences.
    I've had two close friends with the Paragard, and both of them have horrific, long, heavy periods now. One of them also has fibroids, and has been bleeding nonstop for the last several months.

I have always had horrific, long, heavy periods (and I also have PCOS, so they tended to be extremely unpredictable as well), so I got the Mirena, because I couldn't even imagine making things WORSE. Now my periods are so light I don't even need to wear any "feminine hygiene products", I just get a small blood smear on the paper when I use the bathroom. (Which is sort of a bummer because I think sea sponge tampons are cool, but I don't need to use one.) I still cramp a little, but it's NOTHING like the 4-day nonstop excruciation I used to suffer through. And my periods come every 28 days now, whereas I used to skip months regularly. One year I had 4 periods total.

You may have health/environmental reasons for not wanting to go hormonal, and that's totally cool. I just know what my friends with the copper one have gone through, whereas my situation has improved so much. Frankly, I may be peeing hormones into the water system, and I may be freaking out my body, but it is SO WORTH IT after 10 years of semi-monthly sanguine agony.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

crackedpot is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Hi Crackedpot. How did you get started with IF? I'm toying with the idea, as it's clear I'm going to have to cut my calories to lose weight. I'd love to hear your story - I'm 48, postmenopausal, and just getting started with bodyweight exercises. I've got about 40lb to lose.
    - Jac sorry I didn't see this sooner - I always was taught to eat first thing upon rising in the morning but have always struggled with that - I was so happy to read about IF on this site, I started out adding an hour each day till I was able to go till Noon. I hold to this during the week and usually have a big breakfast with my Husband on the weekends. I walk daily and lift 2-3 times a week. I struggle with cutting sugar out and getting enough protein in.