Page 117 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 117

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, Lady Grok. You conquered rosacea? My boyfriend has rosacea of the eyes and he insists his doctor said to avoid red meat, red wine and practically everything on a primal food list and to eat practically everything on a CW food list. Sounded fishy to me. Did you do anything specific for the rosacea?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Wow. Rosacea of the eyes sounds excruciating. Mine was facial, and it was awful. I am pale everywhere else, which just made it look worse. Taking pictures was a nightmare- I'd cover up the redness with heavy makeup, but if there was flash and I hadn't applied my "Neutralizing green" facial primer, I would look like a burn victim. I went to multiple dermatologists, and never got dietary reccs, actually. Just advice not to wear makeup.

I noticed a difference- I'd say up to 50% improvement-within a week of trying the PB. Within a month, I could wear red again. (red face+red shirt= no bueno.) It was a totally unexpected, but very welcome surprise!

I suspect that mine was triggered by undiagnosed celiac/gluten intolerance- if I have a biggish "slip-up", I will wake up the next morning with bright red nose and cheeks, and a really attractive acne break-out around my mouth. (Not to mention gastric distress: so sex-ay! Excellent incentive to behave myself.) Maybe you could get him to just ditch grains, and see if that would do it?
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grok View Post
    Taking pictures was a nightmare- I'd cover up the redness with heavy makeup, but if there was flash and I hadn't applied my "Neutralizing green" facial primer, I would look like a burn victim.
    This right here is why it's awesome to have a boyfriend who is a professional photographer and a Photoshop wiz. I'm 47, but in the family Christmas photos, I look like I'm 25!

Isn't rosacea autoimmune? I would think just going Primal would help a lot if it is. That's just one reason I'm hoping my boyfriend will give it a try, since he has vitiligo.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Before we completely leave the subject of clothes, what brands besides Columbia & Carhartt make outdoorsy-type clothing? I can start buying my final-sized shirts, and am trying to get used to all these possible name brands. :S
    Off the top of my head:

The North Face
    Mountain Hardware
    Patagonia
    LL Bean
    Eddie Bauer
    Cabela's

Leida is offline Senior Member
    This is not related to the discussion at hand, but I ran across a rather interesting book in the library, 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food. It goes beyond your garden variety magazine article that covers emotional eating in all of a two pages.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

bakers3 is offline Member
    Leida - that sounds like a good read. Will look for it in the library after my move! I would like to have some more ideas for my daughter who at 15 is very much an emotional eater. Due to health conditions she has, she really needs to permanently be on a lower carb diet and I would like her to do PB with me when she gets back from her trip. She is significantly overweight, partially from her medical issues but partly due to poor eating when I was not being Primal. I can't force her to go Primal but if the only food in the house is Primal then while she is at home anyway, she will end up eating it. She skyped from Paris yesterday and was all about the baguettes and Pain aux Chocolate. Can't blame her. Lol. Since we will only be in KC for 2 weeks before we head to Oregon, I probably won't go too hard core on her. She will want to do stuff with friends and will be having her 16th birthday party, etc. I wont make her serve primal snacks and a meatloaf birthday cake to her friends...lol. Am hoping it will be a small group and we can just go somewhere for an activity and food so as not to bring anything non-primal into the house besides a cake!

Happy 4th everyone! I am going to a friends house in the early afternoon. They are having pizza. (?!) I told her I would bring a big spinach salad made with my farmers market stuff. I'll gnaw on a chicken leg before I go. Lol. Then it's home to pack more and comfort the dog who has been terrorized by m-80 explosions and firecrackers for a week now. Its gonna be a long day/night for her!
    Last edited by bakers3; 07-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Anyone read/reading The First 20 Minutes?

There is a snibbet in there I thought I'd share - thought you ladies would appreciate it:

After each session, the volunteers' blood was drawn to test their appetite-hormone levels. Overall, the men displayed little or no changes in their energy-regulating hormones or in their appetites. whether they were in negative energy balance or not. But the women uniformly showed increased blood concentrations of acylated ghrelin and decreased concentrations of inulin after the sessions in which they had eaten less than they had burned. Their bodies were directing them to replce those lost calories, immediately.

In physiological terms, the results are "consistant with the paradigm that mechanisms to maintain body fat are more effective in women," Dr. Braun and his colleagues wrote. In practical terms, they're scientific proof that life is unfair. Female bodies, inspired almost certainly "by biological need to maintain energy stores for reproduction," Dr. Braun says, fight hard to hold on to every molecule of fat. Exercise for many women (and some men) inexorably increases the desire to eat.
    So for all those idiot men who want to say it's NOT different for women, scientific evidence to the contrary. And it makes evolutionary sense as well - there is a minimum amount of fat required for adequate hormone production to ovulate, menstruate and reproduce, and that level is higher for women than men. Our bodies were set up to hold on to more fat. Like many things, we just pervert what should be a positive evolutionary design for our survival with our modern diets and exercise.

If we move and eat like our ancestors this probably becomes less of a liability but it does not change the fact that IS different for women because different physiology (hormones, evolutionary needs, etc.) and kinesiology (sp?) is involved than is for men. (For instance, we are also shorter, on average, and therefore burn less calories/expend less energy moving our limbs than men do . . . )
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Anyone read/reading The First 20 Minutes?
    I wasn't, but it just went on the Amazon Wishlist so I can start after I finish the current book. Sounds interesting.

Pedidoc is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=bakers3; Then it's home to pack more and comfort the dog who has been terrorized by m-80 explosions and firecrackers for a week now. Its gonna be a long day/night for her![/QUOTE]

Juliet our rescue schnauzer had to sleep under the covers of our bed last night. Between the fireworks and the thunder storms she is a mess! The vet suggested Valium, but I'm not sure I want an over medicated dog. Latte, the Bassett could care less about the noise, she is the poster dog for laid back!
    Female 53
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

We've got a combination of fireworks and The Boyfriend's grandson spending a few days here, so the 2 female cats are NOT happy. Plus, my son's truck broke down, and he's using my car for a few days.

My honey said a few minutes ago "It look like all of the females in this house feel displaced..."

Should be back to normal tomorrow.