Page 114 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 114

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hello all! My son & I went on a 18 mile bike ride on a lovely (and FLAT-ish) bike path today. It was lovely, woody, bridges, wildflowers, and wonderful smells and sounds. The North Country Trail... part of it called the Rail Trail. And no screaming (a few grunts and groans from me HA). That & a 2-hour swim with a free pool pass (I LOVE FREE) makes a great day with my son and lots of slow moving to boot. I admire all of you with your amazing cooking, and kick-ass hiking & 30,000 footstep jobs, and Kilimanjaro (!), and pics of BEARS (!) on the trails. I'm so glad to have this thread to come home to and read up on what's going on with all of you.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the info and link Sihana. I'll see if I can figure out how to put pics of him up. We decided it would be beneficial for him to go grain free after we did. We do give him some human food, mostly eggs. Interesting on the beef thing. We have given it to him, just not all that often.

I just thought of one of the funniest things he ever did. He is a very well behaved dog....usually. So the first night I made grass fed burgers, my husband wasn't home yet. I was sitting on the couch eating, the doorbell rang, I put my plate on the couch with 1 1/2 burgers, cauliflower, and a pickle on it. When I walked back in, the burgers were gone! He took them right off the plate and left everything else. He'd never taken anything off a plate and we joked that he obviously knew the difference. I even saved the last 2 burgers for my husband since I was the one that left mine within reach!

bakers3 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimT View Post
    Keri, thanks for the well wishes and the get well lick from Ruby! Ivan sends thanks back her way. He is a soon to be 12 year old Belgian Malinois. He's never had a weight issue, actually tends to be a little thin, but was having some other issues, so we decided to try the grain free diet. I've never made his food, we just buy Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free. How hard is it to make? We have him on supplements too, but we did start him on an anti-inflammatory since x-rays showed he has a lot of arthritis in his knee and he's been limping a lot. The vet thinks he probably had an ACL or MCL tear along the way we didn't know about. I guess old age sucks for them too!
    Kim, it's not that hard really. I do approximately 60% meat 40% veggies. Mostly green beans but I always put an orange veg in too. Usually carrots but sometimes canned pumpkin. I rough chop the carrots in the food processor and start them cooking in a bit of water. Then I add rough chop partially chopped green beans (sometimes a few peas or some broccoli swapped in) then toss them in the pot. When they are mostly cooked I add ground beef. Most times I use 15 pounds beef and around 12 pounds veg. Every other batch or so I add some organ meat like liver.When it's all cooked and spoon chopped I drain most of the liquid off and stir in a big blob of coconut oil. When cool, I freeze it. I give her the multi Vit because I am worried she might end up missing trace vitamins she needs. One good thing about it is she eats slower. She inhaled her kibble and I was always worried about bloat. Maybe I will pick up a bag of the nutro and go half and for awhile. If I ever get another dog, I am pretty sure I would do the BARF diet.

Sihana...good to know. I was planning to mix together and let the kibble soften a bit. Still not a good idea? Damn animals. Such a hassle but they are worth it all!

croll is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

Next, i think that when a cheat coincides with a TOM, the "cheat" becomes the "two week habit" until the hormones flip and *bam* no longer interested in that cheat. This is what I observed in myself at least. Here was my process:

Cheat: Friend brings in tacos with white tortillas; I love tacos! I eat tacos!
    Cheat step 2: TACOS! I CRAVE TACOS!
    Cheat step 3: MUST EAT TACOS.
    Cheat step 4: WANT TACOS, will not eat due to PB!
    Cheat step 5: WANT WANT WANT TACOS -- eat PB BAS with taco flavors. Body tells you to go to hell you dirty liar as those were not TACOS and I DEMAND TACOS.
    Cheat step 6: TACOS! TACOS TACOS TACOS TACOS.
    Cheat step 7. Menstruation begins. TACOS WOMAN! TACOS!
    Cheat step 8-11: MUST EAT ALL OF THE WORLD"S TACOS.
    Day 12. What are you talking about? tacos are disgusting.

Now, if my friend brought me tacos at any point during the estrogen phase, I'd be like "no thanks." or I'd be able to have one and move on with my life. Yay! 20% PB is easy.

But if i'm post ovulation, forget it. MUST EAT ALL TACOS.

---- at least, that's my experience.
    I'm just starting to read this thread and this made me laugh out loud because it's TRUE!

Pinup...if I could go back in time all my critters would eat raw. The cats might transition all right but my lab is 9 and a gulper. Once I gave her a huge raw turkey neck to gnaw on and damned if she didn't swallow it whole in about 3 seconds. Freaked me out a bit but all was well. I swear she is half lab half pig. Lol! Actually all our animals are staying with my ex when I move to Oregon in a few weeks (sob!) so I can't saddle him with too much of a special diet. I buy the cats a grain free food at Costco and found out today they are selling grain free dog food of the same brand. Going to switch Ruby over to that this week as I am nearly out of the homemade food.

Frustration post! I know my main goal is health but with 100 pounds to lose I would be lying if I said I don't want to lose this weight at a fairly good pace. My knees can't handle much movement until I lose a good chunk so it's an important piece of the puzzle!! I lost 7 pounds in the first week. During TOM no less. Water I know, but in the last whole week....nothing! Literally not an ounce. The first 5 days I told myself my body was just resisting after the big water drop but now I am just getting annoyed!

I need to go reread some of the posts and articles on women and fasting. Over the past few years I have had great weightloss success with a fast 5 approach. It takes no effort on my part because I am rarely hungry until afternoon or evening. That is how I been eating for 2 weeks. If I am hungry, I eat. If hunger strikes in the morning, I eat. If I don't get hungry until late afternoon, I don't eat until then. I never ignore hunger and my day always starts with coconut oil in my coffee so there is one good fat and some calories there. I believe I am in ketosis due to lack of appetite because I am energetic and feel great all day without being hungry.

My meals have been clean. Grass fed beef, chicken, pastured eggs, lots of green veggies with grass fed butter, EVOO in salad dressings, etc. Maybe a bit high in sodium between bacon and some very low sugar jerky but I have been drinking enough water to float a boat because of the heat here. My supplements are basic besides the higher Vit D dosage due to my deficiency. Taking multi, cod liver oil, cal/mag combo, 5,000 or a bit more D3, and when my vitacost order arrived, I am adding a small quantity of K2 to help process the D.

Now that I am done complaining what do you guys suggest:

A just be patient and ignore the scale
    B eat earlier in the day even if I am not hungry
    C lose some of the sodium
    D fill in your own ideas

I would appreciate your input and suggestions! Thank you so much!

Keri

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    agree about the tracking. i just started using cronometer and LOVE it. lots of info, including micro-breakdowns.

for most people with healthy metabolisms and undamaged insulin responses calories aren't an issue. however, for some they are and so having the info from a tracker is just one more tool in the box. track for a few weeks and get the data you need to make changes in an informed way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Pinup...I will start Paleotrak in a couple days. Have some beef, kale, bacon, onion, garlic "casserole that would be nearly impossible to track. Unfortunately, thats how I tend to prepare food! Large batches of meat, fat and veg combos that I can eat for a couple days so I dont have to cook all the time...lol. I believe that the past several days my calories would be low if anything. I am big. Not just fat big, but tall, very broad shoulders, big feet, man hands kind of big. And at my weight I know I can eat a large quantity of the right foods and lose. I don't believe in starvation mode when people are carrying a large amount of fat but maybe I am not eating enough. Darn it...I want it to be simple! Tracking would give me a better idea of my macros as well as calories so I will take your suggestion. Thanks!

Edited to include noodletoy. Another vote for tracking, huh? I will check out cronometer. I want it to be simple and with the move don't have a lot of time to be entering recipes, special foods, etc so I will see if it looks simpler than Paleotrak. Thanks!
    Last edited by bakers3; 07-01-2012 at 10:16 AM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Get a kitchen scale, measure out your individual ingredients before you put them together, create a recipe on paleotrack, then when meal is ready, measure out your portion.

I do it every day when I make new curries.
    i batch cook as well and second this method.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway