Page 11 of 183 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 11

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Hi ladies! I was so thankful to come across this thread. I personally need the comraderie of other women!

I'm new here and 2 weeks into primal. I had been gluten free about 2 months prior. I have PCOS and was looking for new ways to eat to help with the insulin resistance as well as lose weight. I've felt really good the last 2 weeks and hope to see some weight loss as that should help with my infertility caused by the PCOS.

I'm also currently exercising 3 to 4 times a week. A combo of Zumba (because its so fun!) And weight training. I'm 38 years old, 5'7" and weight 184. My current goal is 150 but would love to get to 135.

Anyway, that's me! Hope to get to know you all!

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    You know, one thing that really confuses me is.... Can I even fathom what my perfect weight is? When I graduated college, I was 120#. But, I wasn't into anything athletic and I drank beer constantly. I'm 5'2", btw, with a medium-large frame. I think. And all these calculators tell you what your 'perfect' healthy weight is, but is that for women who are fit, or is that for women who don't do anything, physically? They all say I'm 5# overweight, but don't see it. I guess I should really cough up the money for a body fat measurement, to give me an idea if I need to worry about weight loss anymore. I'm clueless.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I've always been under the impression, based on my lean weights at my current height (5'6", close to 7" I think) throughout high school, ranging from 110lbs-118lbs, that the "ideal weight" estimation is based on an inactive body. Since they obviously can't take into account your structure and genetically proclivity for increased muscle mass or what have you, they're not terribly accurate, and I would say your actual ideal weight could vary anywhere from plus or minus 10lbs!

I'm somewhere around 125lbs these days and I consider this my ideal "lean" weight now. I just want to get some muscle in!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    When I started this thread for us gal's I got a couple of "negative" replies from........... you guessed it - men thinking the thread was unnecessary. Sheesh...... mind your own business already!

I'm 4 months into the primal life now. The weight loss slowed after the first month, but I'm down about 18 pounds now and still gaining energy and strength. My original goal was to be down to my goal weight by my birthday in July - but I'm having to adjust my thinking as my body has other plans. Whatever....... I'll get the weight off, just not as fast as I had hoped. The best thing is that after 10 years of pain, fatigue, bad sleep and depression from fibromyalgia - I'm now walking 2-3 miles 5 days or more a week - and my husband and I are starting to ride our bikes and going on some short day hikes Life is definitely improving! My 50's are going to ROCK! thats a good thing cuz my 40's really sucked!

Keep up the good work ladies! And stay the course -- cuz this life works!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome! I loved reading through this thread because there really aren't that many places where you can read about conclusive, sustainable fat-loss ideas for overweight women. Most advice is coming from men and then, even when it's women, it's mostly women who were never that far gone to start with. Dayumn - whenever the hell I figure this out, I'm starting a blog just for people like me.

Notice I say "when." I don't know how long this will take, but I'm not giving up on the trial and error. Like you said, I may not have lost a lot of weight yet, but I feel so drastically better than I did before I went paleo/primal. I'm still a very stressed out person, but I was 10x as bad before paleo.
    Last edited by Lex26; 03-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Again, most information on this site is for both men and women. I think you're exaggerating with your "we are being oppressed!" mindset. I've seen tons of threads dedicated to women, perhaps even more than for men.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not talking about oppression or discrimination. I'm just saying most advice isn't coming from women who have experienced the trial of losing 100 pounds. It's mostly coming from men or from women who haven't ever been more than 100 pounds. Women do have bodies that work differently and this is a thread for people who would know.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Again, most information on this site is for both men and women. I think you're exaggerating with your "we are being oppressed!" mindset. I've seen tons of threads dedicated to women, perhaps even more than for men.
    I didn't see anyone complaining about being oppressed. More like it's somewhat irritating to have young guys, for whom it is VERY easy to put on muscle and lose weight, telling you that the reason your weight isn't budging is because you're doing it wrong. Hormones make more of a difference than I ever appreciated before I went paleo. I always thought that duh, of course I'd lose these last 10 lbs if I just quit snacking all the time, inhaling treats, pastries & pizza at work, yadda yadda yadda. Then I did stop, and did change my diet over to almost exclusively meat & veggies, and did start exercising, etc. And I would guess that the great majority of men reading this still think, Nope. She's doing it wrong. It's not physically possible. She must be sneaking in chocolate, or not really trying when she works out, or misunderstanding how much coconut oil she's putting in that recipe. Those are the ones I'd like to force-feed my birth control pills to for a couple of months!!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I'm 56, been low carbing to control type 2 diabetes about 7 years. It worked wonderfully for me at first, I lost weight without trying. I was inspired to become an athlete for the first time in my life. I started with short triathlons and worked my way up to a half ironman (proudly last). But then my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and the beginnings of dementia and I didn't have the consistent time to keep up my training. I still swim with a masters group twice a week.

The weight came back on rather suddenly a couple of years ago, without my diet changing. I don't know if it was menopause or my body finally becoming efficient at using a low carb diet. I try very hard not to care about my weight, and I don't weigh myself, but when I got back up to the size I was before I was discouraged. I got sick last December with something my doctor described as not quite pneumonia and lost a clothing size because I was too sick to eat. I didn't gain it back, even though my daughter was home from college for vacation and we cooked the 12 desserts of Christmas (we cooked a new dessert every day for 12 days, though most were reduced carb).

Some triathlon friends on facebook were talking about primal and I decided to try it. Gives me something different to keep me interested. It has been about a month now. Since I was already low carb I didn't have any quick weight loss. I'm most hopeful about the iodine thread, that supplementing iodine will help my energy level. I'm also moving towards a bigger breakfast and less snacking. I took the soy protein out of my breakfast smoothie and just moved up to two eggs in the smoothie--raw yolks and cooked whites.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bosnic -- is there a reason you feel the compelling need to offer your opinion about this thread? If you don't like it, just ignore it. You've made it quite clear you don't see the need for this thread. Fine - point noted. Now move along and play somewhere else.

Ladies - if you don't respond to him he'll likely go away

Page 11 of 183 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast