Page 101 of 183 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1821

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 101

Jodis is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome, 5xAdams. I mostly lurk too -- not enough time and by the time I get here, most conversations have moved on.

Congrats on getting your write-up done, paleobird, and good news that it will be posted. I'm reminded I haven't even read THIS week's success story yet.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I just wanted to let my fellow She-Groks know that I finally got around to writing up my Primal success story for Mark's friday post. I I was waiting until I got the five years post breast cancer all clear before I declared anything a successon. Not really superstitious about "jinxing" anything, just didn't want to get ahead of myself.

Got a letter back from him last night saying he is going to publish it. I'm not sure which Friday it will be but keep an eye out for it.
    YEAH!!!!! that is SOOO cool! I can't wait to read it! I hope to someday have my own story here - if not on the featured Friday, then at least in the before and after thread.... Good job!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5xAdams View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is Cassie. I'm 36 and a mother of 3...they are 16, 14, and 11. I've been married to my wonderful husband for 18yrs this September. I work full time in a feed store (lots of heavy lifting and walking!) my husband is retired from the US Army and now mostly stays home to take care of the house and kids and occasionally teaches at the local high school. The whole family has jumped into the primal/paleo journey together. We are mostly a healthy bunch, hubby has arthritis and is lactose intolerant, DD16 is lactose intolerant and painful menstrual cramps, DD14 seems healthy and normal, DS11 is a severe sugar addict and has some problems staying focused at school he is also a little on the chunky side, I have joint pain, back pain, restless leg syndrome, depression, and need to lose at least 50-60lbs.

Hubby does most of the cooking and is a great cook so it is great that we are all on board with this. We have tried it before and I had pretty good results, lost about 20lbs but life happened and we got lost back in the world of processed foods! Don't get me wrong I have eaten well most of my life grew up on deer and elk meat with a huge garden in the summer and a great grandmother than taught us all how to can and preserve fruits and vegies. But, life seems to subtract time from your day especially with teenage kids and the older they get the more time I seem to lose! So we would grab something quick and easy and usually processed. Well not anymore...although I'm having problems with cravings and I haven't even stepped foot on the scale so I have no idea where I am...need to do that so I know where I'm starting.

I have been lurking around here for a couple of days...trying to read all the post...not working out so good...there is so much great information here! So I decided I might never get all the post read so I better just introduce myself and join in! I was a member of MDA last time too, but like you all said it was intimadating and unrealistic and mostly geared toward men...so thanks again for this thread. I hope this helps me stay on track!
    Stealing Paleobirds words......... "Welcome to the tribe!" (love that) There a great bunch of women gathering at this thread - lots of encouragement, wisdom and humor!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

heyjules is offline Junior Member
    Hi, ladies! I'm fairly new to primal - about 7 weeks in - and this is my first post. I really enjoy reading everyone else's posts and 5xAdams' post encouraged me to jump in, too! I'm 43 years old - been married to my incredible hubby for 4 years - I have a 23 year old son who just got married in Jan., a daughter who will be 20 years old tomorrow, and a 22 year old stepdaughter who just got married in June. I've had fibromyalgia for YEARS, migraines, TMJ, IBS, chronic fatigue and the list goes on. But, I had an awful crash on 12/23/11, and went consistently downhill health wise for 4 months. The only thing I was able to still do on a consistent basis was work my desk job...I would then come home & go straight to bed. I rarely could get out of bed on the weekends at all. I couldn't really help with my son when he moved out, with his wedding or my stepdaughter's wedding, and those things broke my heart! I was in a very sad, lonely, and dark place. After years of trying meds, elimination diets, supplements, and on and on, I was almost at the point of accepting that this was where I would live. But, then I found an upper cervical care chiropractor who goes to our church - and I decided I'd try one more thing before giving up. We started with gentle neck adjustments (no popping or cracking), then added a few supplements, then he introduced me to primal & used Mark's books and information in his nutritional class. AMAZING is all I can say! I haven't felt this good since I can remember - fibro pain is gone, fatigue is so much better, TMJ is completely gone, no migraines, IBS is majorly improving. I've now been able to add light exercise, too. Thank you for starting this thread, Tomi, and for sharing your story! What a great way for women to connect...and hopefully encourage each other.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Welcome newbies (I am one too) and lurkers. (I have the same problem with conversations moving too fast for me to jump in. Some threads look interesting but then I only post during off-work hours, usually morning and/or night except weekends.)

Lost another .7 lbs yesterday, for a total of almost 11 lbs. Very pleased as it was quite painless. 24.3 left to go.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    How is paleo not a good weight loss method exactly? o.O
    I personally think it IS a good method, but I also think sometimes it might not feel like it because Paleo/Primal makes your body prioritize healing over fat loss. That's actually a good thing, but we've been taught our whole lives that weight loss is the best marker for health, so it may not feel right when it doesn't happen as fast as we're used to from past experiences.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

5xAdams is offline Junior Member
    WHEW!!! Finally finished reading all of the past posts!!! I'm all caught up now...wow what a "tribe" of great ladies. Tons of wonderful advice, can't wait to try out a few things I read about.

Well, I bit the bullet and weighed myself this morning so I would have a jumping off point...it was not a pleasant sight...not totally unexpected...but still not pleasant.

So here it is

There I did it...

Would like to get down to at least 145

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    Because, as you'll read here, not all of us have the instant fat-melting magic that so many others have.
    I don't think that any diet is really supposed to have "instant fat-melting magic".
    Yeah, there are a select few that get that super side effect... the lucky ones with healthy bodies and metabolisms.
    But MOST people don't lose weight easily, regardless of diet method.
    If you aren't losing fast enough on Primal add in some CW, like also tracking your calories and cutting them back a bit. This is often lost sight of here... but it's fine to do it! Calories count... I wish they didn't because then I wouldn't need to lose pounds to begin with!

I stick to Primal and lose weight VERY slowly. Seriously. Slowly.
    I lost 1 lb last week and 1 lb this week... and was SHOCKED. That's how slow.
    But the thing about it is that I'm NOT on a "DIET". I'm simply eating healthy foods that I enjoy, in a way that is sustainable in the long term. This lifestyle has built an entirely different relationship to food for me, and many others. This is statistically one of the most important factors in maintaining weight loss over time. Building a healthy food relationship is the best thing a heavy person can ever do for themselves.

Many diets that cause rapid weight loss have their own issues.
    Most of the time there is strict calorie and fat restriction which results in a body that is LESS healthy than when you started. And actually causes rapid gain once the severe restriction ends. I know women who have done them 'successfully'. Some of them had hair falling out... caught every cold/bug that was around... looked like death warmed over.
    Most of them regained.
    They didn't change their relationship with food... they just "ate to lose"... not to LIVE.

I guess it's ultimately a personal decision.
    But I think that regardless of the method chosen that there is hard work and patience involved in most weight loss.
    Had I rather lose slowly and healthfully or try the crash and burn method (again)?
    No.
    I'm here... losing S-L-O-W-ly. And here is where I will stay.
    It's Ok, I didn't get fat overnight... and as nice as "magic" would be, it just doesn't exist.
    And while my journey may now be fast, I'm also gaining health.

GL. Whatever you choose.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony337 View Post
    Just a thought.......... sorry you don't think its necessary or relevant.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    ...I'm simply eating healthy foods that I enjoy, in a way that is sustainable in the long term. This lifestyle has built an entirely different relationship to food for me, and many others. This is statistically one of the most important factors in maintaining weight loss over time. Building a healthy food relationship is the best thing a heavy person can ever do for themselves.

Many diets that cause rapid weight loss have their own issues.
    Most of the time there is strict calorie and fat restriction which results in a body that is LESS healthy than when you started.
    Smart words Cori. Five years ago I lost over 60 pounds and was a size 6-8 for the first time in decades. It was great!!! Except I did it in a way that was really hard on my body. Semi-starvation, managing portions only and not nutrients, and extremely heavy exercise. And of course I gradually gained it all back over the next two years, and had a whole new crop of physical troubles to boot, from joint pain that prevented me exercising to the near-collapse of my adrenal function and resulting exhaustion and cardiac symptoms.

I am concentrating on healing my endocrine function with the most sensible way of eating I have found; since weight gain for me is a symptom of that malfunction I am not concentrating on treating the symptom only. Losing weight is of course an encouraging benefit, but I've proved that I can be thin and very unhealthy and have no wish to go there again.

PS Check out this thread from Mark's blog: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meal-...#axzz1yi88QeXp which has a ton of useful related info.
    Last edited by Wrenwood; 06-24-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Added link to Mark's blog
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price