Page 10 of 183 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us page 10

sbaquera is offline Junior Member
    Currently we are stationed in Arizona, but hopefully getting new orders soon.
    Sanctus Real~ I am so glad that giving up grains has helped out your husband. I really hope this helps me to I...already notice that I am not exhausted by 3 o'clock and it has only been a week
    I also wanted to add a bit on was to incorporate exercise with kids at home: I teach my son at home and we get a lot of exercise in. We ride bikes, yoga, swim, dodgeball/kickball, and honestly the one that seems to be our biggest stand by is our spontaneous games of tag When we go to the local parks there are other children that are home schooled and we can usually get a group going with races and even Mother May I. Tons of fun and it makes you feel like a kid again. I also love to do pull-ups from the monkey bars

Best of luck to you!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^Don't knock supplementing Vitamin D! I started off taking 10,000 IU daily for a month and then moved down to 8,000 IU (8 drops from my liquid VitD bottle). I'll move down to 6k starting in January and should be getting my levels re-tested around then too. I was very very low so I started at a high dose to build up my reserves. I DEFINITELY notice the difference because rainy days don't bring down my moods anymore!

I think I effectively kicked Seasonal Affective Disorder in the butt.

BTW My YI slowly fizzled out over a few days after my original postings about it. I took Diflucan from my doctor and continued with the probiotics (orally). My doctor said there actually wasn't much that showed up under the microscope, but I was very red (and VERY itchy). I'm wondering if it was a reaction with a detergent plus a YI?
    Definitely look in to your detergent, soap, and dryer sheets. I can't tell you how many times I went to the doctor thinking I had a yeast infection. I got treated multiple times. Finally I read somewhere that it can be fragrance. I switched to fragrance free soap, detergent and dryer sheets and "Voila" - all my issues disappeared!

Right now I have house mates who use highly perfumed detergent and dryer sheets in our shared washer and dryer. I have to give my undergarments an extra rinse in the wash and air dry them or i can have issues.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Definitely look in to your detergent, soap, and dryer sheets. I can't tell you how many times I went to the doctor thinking I had a yeast infection. I got treated multiple times. Finally I read somewhere that it can be fragrance. I switched to fragrance free soap, detergent and dryer sheets and "Voila" - all my issues disappeared!

Right now I have house mates who use highly perfumed detergent and dryer sheets in our shared washer and dryer. I have to give my undergarments an extra rinse in the wash and air dry them or i can have issues.
    I can't even walk down the aisle where they sell that stuff at the supermarket without holding my breath. Those fake scents make my throat feel like it is closing up involuntarily. I can see how it could have some serious effects on the mucous membranes on the other end of the body too.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I can't even walk down the aisle where they sell that stuff at the supermarket without holding my breath. Those fake scents make my throat feel like it is closing up involuntarily. I can see how it could have some serious effects on the mucous membranes on the other end of the body too.
    My boyfriend was renewing his magazine subscription online last night and was surprised to find a box you could check to opt out of scented advertisements in the magazines. Being that he usually reads Time and Popular Mechanics, this hasn't been much of an issue for him and he didn't see the need. I told him to pick up any standard women's magazine, though, and he could pass out from the fumes. Literally.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have to do the same thing....I can't stand going in to those aisles. People always complain about sitting next to a crying baby on a plane, but I always say I'll take a screaming toddler any day over someone who bathed in their cologne that morning!
    Last edited by jammies; 12-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Hello. I'm glad to see a thread for women as I do believe women's bodies and metabolisms and therefore the whole PB experience is different to men's. From my brief foray into the PB forum threads, I got the impression that some of the men seem to be quite militant about their way of doing things as well- it's a little bit intimating to someone new to this whole thing!

I'm a former vegetarian dipping the toe into flesh eating- only fish and seafood as of yet. My diet as a vegetarian was never terrible in the food pyramid scale but I was not feeling healthy and always felt bloated. I have about 20lbs I would like to lose and I was doing pretty well for the first five weeks and started exercising more after being completely sedentary. Starting at the end of week five I completely went off the rails with major sugar cravings the likes of which I have never experienced before. On the positive side, I take this as a learning experience and useful experiment to how my body is reacting to so many changes. My theory is too much exercise without sufficient rest compounded with the idea that my body probably does not do so well if I go very low carb, i.e. less than 75g or so. I also had zero energy so I definitely think I need to up the carbs a little bit in the second try.

So as soon as my body calms down a little bit I am going to start over again and hopefully it will be smoother sailing. It's been a great experiment so far and I have become so much more in tune with my body. Prior to my sugar binge I had lost six pounds and my stomach was flatter than ever from the decrease in inflammation. I now know for sure that grains and wheat in particular are really not so good for my system. That in itself has been worth the experiment despite falling off the wagon.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences along the way.
    Last edited by Fiji; 12-24-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this thread - I'm new to the forum, have read a fair few threads and had a few 'what??' moments Being 5ft and very small framed, I tried very hard to eat the 50g protein required on the leptin reset, but just couldn't do it. But when I ate enough to fill to the brim, it kept me full till lunch, so that's what I do.

I'm 42, 4 children between 12 and 5 and was steadily gaining weigh. I'm supposed to be a size 6, I've been a 10 for years post first baby, but hit 40 and couldn't lose the weight. This year, when I discovered Sweet Poison, my body was threatening to need size 14 clothing (I"m Australian, so not sure what the equivalent American size is). I dropped down to size 10 in a couple of months, but then plateaued. Someone on that forum then posted the LR info and I started in August. I may not be completely LS, but I'm close. After my youngest slept through, age 3, I expected to be able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. Nup! It was until the LR that I could and how lovely it feels (still need my nana nap if I'm not working).

For sizes, I started 55kg. I'm now 47 so 2 to go to be at my optimum size. I don't really want to drop to 42 cos then I don't have any boobs

When I was 28, I was fed up with the 'puppy fat' on my body so I did the very opposite to PB and somehow it worked. Probably because I was doing a lot of weights (had my 6 pack, even had those yucky neck muscles), but eating no fat at all. Oh, our poor bodies! But I know I can do it and have a firm goal weight and body look in mind.

I find the eating this way easy. For the first time in my life, I don't crave anything. I do still overeat (WIP) but that's cos the food I eat is so yummy! Today is Xmas Day and I had a totally primal meal - ham for breakfast (biggie for us, cos it's $$$ being organic and nitrate free), ham, organic chicken and some veges for lunch.

Oh, and sbhikes? I agree with a previous poster, the difference in your pics is significant I imagine you're looking (and seeing!) even better now

The massive sweet potato pig out is another one of the things that works for the "dude bros" as Northern Monkey Girl called them.
    That's why I'm appreciating this thread. The dude bros were at it again in another thread I read today. 1200 grams of carbs on one guy's carb refeed schedule! A 40lb box in preparation for another guy's carb refeed plan. Good lord!
    Re:
    the dude bros of paleo/primal land.
    (Sarcasm shall be noted! I'm not knocking the effort and dedication of the He-Groks at all. Just venting here in the ladies thread. )

Those guys who used to be out of shape video game nerds and now thanks to the power of primal food....they're in the BEST SHAPE of their lives and have 12 packs (like a 6 pack only better?? something like that.) I'm so tired of those success stories on MDA. 80% are dude bros, 10% are hardcore athletes who only went primal to improve their performance and 10% are actually encouraging. Personally, dude bros piss me off the most because it's not that hard for a motivated young-ish guy with no serious health or mobility issues to lose weight. Hell, my dad went from 435 to 290 in a year on Atkins when he was in his late 40s so I know even older guys can lose weight.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't encourage me to keep going because dude bro 599 used to eat McD's 5 times a day and never ran or lifted anything heavier than a cold brewsky and now he's a ripped Adonis who loves doing CrossFit and finally married the girl of his dreams on the beach.

Rant finished.

As for me, I gave in to Christmas temptation....damn you homemade macaroons with your dark chocolate dip. I'm back on the Primal wagon next week though...two birthdays this week will probably derail me even further. I know for a fact my sister is going all out for her 40th next weekend...southern style buffet and an open bar. Woot! Plus my oldest nephlet is turning 8 on Friday. Most likely a pizza party which I can try to eat around.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by auntie thesis View Post
    Re:
    the dude bros of paleo/primal land.
    (Sarcasm shall be noted! I'm not knocking the effort and dedication of the He-Groks at all. Just venting here in the ladies thread. )

Those guys who used to be out of shape video game nerds and now thanks to the power of primal food....they're in the BEST SHAPE of their lives and have 12 packs (like a 6 pack only better?? something like that.) I'm so tired of those success stories on MDA. 80% are dude bros, 10% are hardcore athletes who only went primal to improve their performance and 10% are actually encouraging. Personally, dude bros piss me off the most because it's not that hard for a motivated young-ish guy with no serious health or mobility issues to lose weight. Hell, my dad went from 435 to 290 in a year on Atkins when he was in his late 40s so I know even older guys can lose weight.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't encourage me to keep going because dude bro 599 used to eat McD's 5 times a day and never ran or lifted anything heavier than a cold brewsky and now he's a ripped Adonis who loves doing CrossFit and finally married the girl of his dreams on the beach.

Rant finished.

As for me, I gave in to Christmas temptation....damn you homemade macaroons with your dark chocolate dip. I'm back on the Primal wagon next week though...two birthdays this week will probably derail me even further. I know for a fact my sister is going all out for her 40th next weekend...southern style buffet and an open bar. Woot! Plus my oldest nephlet is turning 8 on Friday. Most likely a pizza party which I can try to eat around.
    Thanks. I got a laugh.

I don't disparage the dude bros and their awesome body changes at all either. As women, we have a different pressure on us than men do. We look around in our culture and emaciated is what we are trained to aspire to. Then we come here and ripped is held as the ideal. Some of us may not be able to become so ripped without chemical help, you know? Some of us have had many children. Some of us are older. Some of us don't even want to be ripped.

What I like about the Protein Power book is how there are calculations you can do to find your ideal weight, and they flat out tell you that any weight charts you may have seen in the past are likely to be unrealistic, especially if you are older. I did the calculations and was surprised I was only 2lbs from the upper end of my ideal range. And rather than let the pressure to be model thin or Staci ripped get to my head, I let Protein Power's calculations knock it into my skull that I am not a big bag of blubber walking down the street having everyone point and laugh (I spent decades of my life afraid to walk across a street in public for fear of that). I'm actually normal weight. Maybe people look at me with jealousy for all I know. Anyway, I am letting this paleo diet thing just work its magic on me, whatever that may be. Whether it results in more weight loss, better health or both, I'm pretty happy. I may try to help the weight loss along further with additional efforts or I may not. It's not a sign of strength or weakness either way, no matter what some dude bros might think. Anyway, this is to say that I guess in a way I've settled or maybe I've just grown up and am learning to accept myself. I don't know. But having dude bros be my role models doesn't quite work for me at my stage in life.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I love you, auntie thesis!

Not in that kind of way, though....
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 10 of 183 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast