Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Was Grok being stupid, or was he that smart? page 4

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTEwho did Cain and Abel marry? Something related][/QUOTE]
    Neanderwomen, who else!!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Maybe they found tasty animals and plants that were all cooked up when they failed to escape the fires and decided that fire was exactly what was missing from their normal recipe of eat raw dead animal.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwhitson View Post
    I was watching a show on the History Channel several weeks ago and they were talking about the evolution of man and what we have discovered about human evolution. Something that stuck with me since I watched it was what they referred to as "the most important step that humans ever took".

It was finding fire. The narrator expounded that humans were the first animals that did not run away from (and fear) fire. In fact, they still are the only animals in history that are not weary of and accepting fire. That in braving the unknown and utilizing fire, we most assuredly guaranteed our eventual survival. It allowed us to keep predators away at night, smoke meat so it could be stored longer, and enjoy a bit of warmth in winter.

I agree that this makes sense, but the thought that has continually crept in my head since I watched it was, "Did they become masters of fire because they were curious and/or stupid (which can equate to a bad habit to have when survival is part of the game), or were they at a level of understanding where they knew what they were getting themselves into?"

Of course, I am sure some Grok or Grokette didn't come along and say, "Hey, if we take this burning tree branch from lightning and keep it going, we will live safely and become rulers of the planet." Looking back now, it's easy to say it was a smart idea to approach a fire and learn to use it. But I can also understand how only a crazy person can walk up to such an amazing thing as fire and walk right up to it and see how it works.

Did we, as humans, come to rule the top of the food chain because we used to be the dumb animals near the bottom of it and we got lucky?
    I think not. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that Neanderthals used fire as well.

Claraflo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwhitson View Post
    Every animal up to that time, and since, has avoided fire. not.
    You need to send a memo to my cat who parks his ars so close to fire his fur smoulders....could it be as simple as....

Jeez that fire packs some heat and shit my arse freezes in winter with this ice and snow thing. You know what? Gonna get me some of that fire.

But in principle I agree with you that quite possibly humans were and quite debatably still are the stupidest species on the planet. Hate to break it to you all kids but we are not the masters of the universe or even the planet.

What other species messes with its own food supply and ends up killing itself enmasse? Our large brains give us puzzle solving ability but we display a surprising lack of actual intelligent thought on a daily basis. Not only that, but we appear to also be pathologically destuctive, destruction that serves no useful purpose to the ecology of the planet.

I actually place the domestic house cat above humans in intelligence level. Afterall they've figured out how to acquire a house, food, and servants without ever working a day in their lives. They also can treat their providors like crap and somehow still live in the lap of luxury. There is no question of who the pillows belong to in my house.

Claraflo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroelofs View Post
    Aboriginals in Australia used to use fire to hunt. Start the fire and get the animals running from it. They used the technique so much that some theories posit that it's why most of Australia is a desert with no vegetation. Not sure how true that is.
    Yeah....not sold on that one. Most of the vegetation is Australia rapidly regenerates after a fire so I doubt a fire would be the cause of a desert. I'm pretty sure rainfall has something to do with it although I'll admit to wagging school very often.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Claraflo View Post
    Yeah....not sold on that one. Most of the vegetation is Australia rapidly regenerates after a fire so I doubt a fire would be the cause of a desert. I'm pretty sure rainfall has something to do with it although I'll admit to wagging school very often.
    This is like arguing that most of the grass on the savannah regenerates quickly after being grazed by ruminants, therefore the grassland is not created by grazers. The vegetation that is there is the kind that can survive repeated attacks by grazers (in the case of grassland) or fire (in the case of Australia). That doesn't mean the ecology wasn't totally different before humans started creating bushfires. In the same way, remove grazers from a grassland and it usually turns into a forest because trees can out-compete grass if they're not trampled or eaten as saplings.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    There is actually a good documentary about this put out by SBS Australia .SBS: Documentary - Death Of The Megabeasts It is about when humans arrived here 50000 years ago. The continent still had vast inland forests and megafauna, eg kangaroos and wombats 10 feet tall.

The people (aborigines) learnt quickly that the megafauna was tasty and to ensure they could hunt successfully started lighting fires to flush them out and clear undergrowth to allow better spear throwing. Within 5000 years the megafauna had been wiped out and the fauna had been dramatically changed. Only hardy plants survived and they changed to rely on a regular fire cycle to propagate. Many trees here need a burn to regrow back stronger.

Aborigines in the bush still do this in some places each year.

mark44 is offline Junior Member
    Agreed....man is the best creature.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    What about Moths. Moths don't run from fire.

~rc

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think that it is the species as a whole that is destroying the food supply. It is a select few groups that have further learned how to exploit the rest of the species by manipulating the food supply that has done it.

In fact you only need lok as far as the USDA food pyramid to see an example of a group that has the respect, admiration and trust of a great number of people that with the best of intentions hands out poor advice.

Aware of the potential for influential minority groups to manipulate the food chain for their own profit and to our detriment, the US came up with the likes of the FDA - look how that worked out. Aspartame anyone?

Generally once the population is presented with all of the facts, they will form the correct decision. This forum is a good example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Claraflo View Post
    You need to send a memo to my cat who parks his ars so close to fire his fur smoulders....could it be as simple as....

Jeez that fire packs some heat and shit my arse freezes in winter with this ice and snow thing. You know what? Gonna get me some of that fire.

But in principle I agree with you that quite possibly humans were and quite debatably still are the stupidest species on the planet. Hate to break it to you all kids but we are not the masters of the universe or even the planet.

What other species messes with its own food supply and ends up killing itself enmasse? Our large brains give us puzzle solving ability but we display a surprising lack of actual intelligent thought on a daily basis. Not only that, but we appear to also be pathologically destuctive, destruction that serves no useful purpose to the ecology of the planet.

I actually place the domestic house cat above humans in intelligence level. Afterall they've figured out how to acquire a house, food, and servants without ever working a day in their lives. They also can treat their providors like crap and somehow still live in the lap of luxury. There is no question of who the pillows belong to in my house.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast