Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Culturing your own SCOBY for Kombucha page

CJ4400 is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Question for those that cultured their own scoby...

Are you supposed to start off with 1 cup of tea and 12oz of raw store bought kombucha to culture your initial scoby?

OR

Can you start with 1 *gallon* of tea and start making kombucha right off the bat?

I'm venturing into this and am excited to start. It'd be great to hear what worked for you guys.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I bought my first scoby online and it was surprisingly small (about 3 inches wide), but I learned that all it takes to get a scoby from a store-bought kombucha is to let the bottle sit for a while at room temperature, and before you know it you'll have a scoby. I got a very nice one from my mom's unwanted "mango" flavored kombucha. She's not a fan. LOL

Even a small scoby like that will make a gallon of kombucha. Just make a gallon of tea, add a cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of white vinegar, and your scoby.

Now that I've started the process, I just take one of my scobys out of a finished gallon, and a cup of finished kombucha, and add it to the fresh gallon of sweetened tea.

Geoff is offline Member

I cultured my SCOBY off of 32 oz of tea and a bottle of commercial kombucha. From there I stepped it up to a full gallon.

Sherissima is offline Member

I remember my mum maintaining a scoby. I tried it a few times (didn't really like it that much) but it tasted sweetish and a bit acidic.

So what actually happens to all the sugar in kombucha? Is it converted into something? Otherwise, drinking it would not be very Primal, would it?

musajen is offline Junior Member

The scoby feeds on the sugar and consumes most of it.

Yup, the scoby eats the sugar. Just like when you make wine, the bacteria eats the sugars and excrete alcohol. With kombucha it's very little alcohol, and lots of various acids.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Thanks for the replies!

So, should I just let the store bought Kombucha sit out until I see the scoby growing? OR should I go ahead and brew a gallon of tea and let 'er rip?

Also, for the sugar can I use organic raw sugar (from sugar cane)?

And can I use raw apple cider vinegar? Is vinegar even needed? I didn't see that listed as an ingredient for some of the sites I've been visiting.

Geoff is offline Member

I would stay away from organic raw vinegar - don't want to cross-contaminate the kombucha culture with the vinegar culture. I use the vinegar to clean my jar between brewings. I have had good results using organic raw sugar.

Let the store bought kombucha sit until you have a scoby. Maybe add some sugar to give it something to grow with, but even if you don't, a scoby will grow.

I just use plain white sugar. *shrug* It's cheap, works well, and the bacteria don't seem to be complaining- lol.

Nope, no raw vinegar. Go with plain white distilled.

If you have kombucha to start with, you don't need the vinegar. I had to have vinegar to start initially because I bought my first scoby. The purpose of the vinegar/kombucha is to make the sweetened tea an acidic environment for the scoby.

CJ4400 is offline Member

Ok, I'm going to start off with adding 32oz raw Kombucha, 1 cup sweetened tea and let it sit out for a few weeks and hope for the best. THEN I will go for the gallon kombucha making. Does this sound about right??

Geoff- did you just pour the 32oz of raw kombucha into a bigger container and let it sit until a scoby formed? You didn't add anything else?

I can't wait. I've been buying Kombucha everyday and it's been getting pricey. Time to make my own! You guys rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast